MBA is amongst the most popular professional courses to pursue after graduation. But what exactly is an MBA? Master of Business Administration (MBA) comprises a myriad of subjects such as sales, HR, economics, entrepreneurship, marketing, and management. But before deciding whether you want to pursue it, you must ask yourself the question: Why should you do an MBA? This question is also asked in interviews conducted for MBA admissions and can immensely help you in highlighting your application from others. This blog is a journey to seek the best answer for why MBA. To understand its significance which is not just about adding another degree to your CV but gathering insightful exposure to varied commercial fields and utilising it to build a successful career.
This Blog Includes:
- Best Answers for ‘Why MBA’
- Why MBA Sample Answers
- Tips to Answer Why MBA
- How to Answer ‘Why MBA’?
- Top Universities in MBA
Best Answers for ‘Why MBA’
While many students generally find common answers to the “why MBA” question, it is important to craft your answer in a way that fits your application and candidature. You must cite reasons that are authentic because this is what the admissions committee prizes, i.e. to see honesty and authenticity in the candidate’s answer.
Here are the best answers to Why MBA?
- MBA as a Globally Acclaimed Credential
- MBA for career enhancement or career change
- To develop a host of skills like interpersonal, communication, presentation, management, and leadership skills, to name a few
- This MBA can help me attain a deeper understanding of this specialisation and furnish my knowledge and skills in this field
- To gain an in-depth understanding of how business management works & draft a business plan
- To learn the art of management from Industry Experts & Business Leaders
- Other reasons to include are Networking Opportunities and Personal Development
Reasons to Consider before Choosing a University for MBA
- Sync with your Career Goals
- Course Structure & Curriculum
- Best-in-class Faculty & Teaching Style
- Collaborative Environment
- Brand Value
- Experiential Approach
- Placement Record
- Duration & Location
- Flexibility in Selecting Concentration & Customizing the Curriculum
- Campus Life
- Student Exchange Opportunities
- Networking Events
- Student Activities
- Industry Exposure & Training Opportunities
- Electives Offered
Why MBA Sample Answers
Want to know the best answers to why MBA interview questions? Here is our top why MBA answers that can help you ace your MBA interview:
- “I believe that an MBA is a perfect blend of improving one’s knowledge of business management as well as ensuring skill development and personal growth thus pushing towards my limits and becoming the best version of myself!”
- “I have recently completed my undergraduate studies in Business Administration and aspire to gain the globally acclaimed MBA qualification in Marketing Management to establish a rewarding career in this field.”
- “I aim to study MBA to gain a better understanding of Finance and Management along with learning from the best business leaders and professionals and facilitate a holistic personality development to thrive in this field.”
- “I have chosen this MBA as a catalyst of a career change from Finance to Operations Management as I have always been inclined more towards administration and management and pursuing this acclaimed MBA from your esteemed university can provide me with the best academic knowledge and exposure I need.”
- “This MBA can help me gain better knowledge of business and management as I will get to learn from the world’s best business leaders and academicians, accentuating my skills and facilitating overall personality development.”
Tips to Answer Why MBA
Here are some key pointers you must keep in mind to give the best answer to why MBA question:
- Provide a variety of reasons ranging from your professional goals to what you want to achieve personally through the MBA program because giving different reasons (minimum 4-5) will surely add a greater dimension to your application.
- Personalize your answer for why MBA by combining it with why you have chosen to pursue this program from a specific school. Thoroughly research the business school or university before appearing for the interview and mention the main reasons why you selected to pursue your MBA from a certain academic institution.
- Link your career goals, learning needs, and skills you want to develop as well as the industrial exposure you aspire to gain by studying MBA from that particular b-school/college/university.
- To help you craft the best answer for why MBA, the following table elucidates the top reasons for this course as well as the reasons for choosing a specific business school/college/university.
How to Answer ‘Why MBA’?
Now that you are familiarized with the correct approach you need to take, we have elaborated some of the best answers for the ‘Why MBA’ question which you can utilise during the interview:
To Acquire Valuable Management & Leadership Skills
An MBA degree is all about grasping the colossal management skills from time management to self-management to managing people and organizations. It equips you with the qualities of a dexterous manager that every organization looks for. So, while working on drafting the best answer for why MBA, it is important to elucidate upon the first-hand exposure to management skills which you can gain through this programme and how they will help you explore different managerial positions. You would have both hard-core managerial skills such as finance management as well as career skills and soft skills that will aid you in being a better manager by understanding the strengths and weaknesses of your employees and putting them to optimum use.
To Get a Deeper Understanding of Organizations, Businesses and their Challenges
Another aspect to add while exploring the best answer for why an MBA is to focus on how this course has a holistic approach in providing students with the operational and functional knowledge of organizations, businesses, challenges as well as solutions. Through this, you will get to learn about how an organization operates or how you can run your own business. An MBA degree will make you proficient in handling managerial positions in even the most difficult environments. Even more so you will get equipped with abilities that you can use to create a business from scratch and take the path of an entrepreneur.
To Avail Networking Opportunities
The advantage of pursuing an MBA degree is the networking prospects that it offers. Everyone from students to professors will be coming with experience in management and business. You will get to meet students from different cultures and countries as well as different backgrounds. This unmatched network can be the next best answer for why MBA because this degree brings people from varied streams together to learn the knicks and knacks of management.
To Develop Strategic Thinking
Management as a concept is not only essential to organizations but in life as well. You are required to manage time, money and resources in daily life to be productive and live every day at its best. So, when someone asks you what is the best answer for why MBA you can centrally find its core in the unique skill of strategic thinking. This skill will be helpful not only to hold a leadership or managerial position but to manage your day-to-day decisions. That’s how you will get to see everything with an out-of-box perspective and this will allow you in making rational decisions and in assessing the pros and cons.
To Pursue a Career Change
If you are stuck in a career that doesn’t resonate with your calling, an MBA degree might help you in finding the areas you are really passionate about. It will help you revamp your career and explore the diversity of a career in management as you will be able to identify your career goals better. This is another good way to find the best answer for why MBA as this degree lets you locate your key preferences and interests through exposure to experienced management professionals and experts.
To Explore Wider Career Prospects
Broadening career prospects is one of the key pointers you can add to craft the best answer for why MBA. But it should not be the sole one. Expanding one’s career is a key objective for those pursuing an MBA because it gives them an edge in their application for top global companies. Also, you can explore any specialization out of a wide range of fields in commerce, so you can craft your career path in the direction of that specific specialization further.
Want to know more?
Check out our exclusive guide on How to Tackle Why MBA Question!
Top Universities in MBA
- The Wharton School of Business, University of Pennsylvania
- Stanford Graduate School of Business, Stanford University
- Harvard Business School, Harvard University
- HEC Paris
- University of California Berkeley
- Columbia Business School, Columbia University
- IE Business School
- INSEAD Paris & Singapore
- Ross School of Business, University of Michigan
- Imperial College London
- SDA Bocconi University
- IMD Business School
Given below are the reasons to choose an MBA:
* To Acquire Valuable Management & Leadership Skills
* To Get a Deeper Understanding of Organizations, Businesses and their Challenges
* To Avail Networking Opportunities
* To Pursue a Career Change
Here is a sample answer to this question: “I aim to study MBA to gain a better understanding of Finance and Management along with learning from the best business leaders and professionals and facilitating holistic personality development to thrive in this field.”
You can answer this question as per this sample: “I have recently completed my undergraduate studies in Business Administration and aspire to gain the globally acclaimed MBA qualification in Marketing Management to establish a rewarding career in this field.”