Established in 1960, University of California San Diego (UC San Diego) is one of the top 15 public research universities in the world. It is counted among the US Public Ivy League colleges. Located on the Pacific coast, it has a 1900+ acre campus and offers 125 undergraduate, 35 postgraduate and 47 doctoral programs. Among the streams offered by the university are engineering, social science, mathematics, computer science, humanities etc. The university has a total enrollment of of more than 40 students across all its programs. In this blog, we take a look at the acceptance rate of UC San Diego as well as its admission deadlines, top courses and admission requirements.
|Size of Campus in acres||1200|
|Faculty – Student Ratio||1 : 19.0|
|Endowments Value||USD 1 Billion|
|No. Of Campuses||1|
|Yearly Hostel & Meals Expenses||INR 9.7 Lakh|
This Blog Includes:
- Why study at the University of California San Diego?
- University of California San Diego Rankings
- University of California San Diego Acceptance Rate for UG Courses
- University of California San Diego Acceptance Rate for PG Courses
- Admission Deadlines
- Top Courses offered at University of California San Diego
- Entry Requirements
- Application Process
- Cost of Studying
- Cost of Living
Why study at the University of California San Diego?
The University of California – San Diego is known for its popular majors that are Biology, International Studies, Mathematics, Computer Science and Economics. 94% is the average freshman retention rate, which is an indicator of student satisfaction.
University of California San Diego Rankings
Below are the 2022 rankings of the University of California San Diego –
|Best Colleges for Veterans||#13|
|Best Value Schools||#180|
|Most Innovative Schools||#40|
|Top Performers on Social Mobility||#26|
|Top Public Schools||#8|
|Best Undergraduate Engineering Programs||#19|
|Biocomputing/ Bioinformatics/ Biotechnology||#1|
University of California San Diego Acceptance Rate for UG Courses
The acceptance rate at UC San Diego is 34.3% with the undergraduate students having to fulfil the below requirements to get accepted –
- A GPA of 3.4 or more (Indian students must complete their 10th & 12th CBSE or State Board exams with average marks of 70% or more)
- ACT scores from 28 to 34.
- SAT scores from 1320 to 1510
- English Proficiency scores can be demonstrated via IELTS, PTE and TOEFL
- Submission of official scores of the AP/IB course.
University of California San Diego Acceptance Rate for PG Courses
The acceptance rate at the University of California San Diego is 34.3% with the postgraduate students having to fulfil the below requirements to get accepted –
- Bachelor Degree with a 3.0 or more GPA
- Submission of GRE/ GMAT scores & other academic records
- English Proficiency score submission
- Letter of Recommendation
- Statement of Purpose
Also Read: Difference Between CV and Resume
|University of California San Diego Application opens||August 1|
|California Dream Act applications open (For international students)||October 1|
|Application Submission Deadline||November 1-30|
|Receive login credentials via an email invitation to the Applicant Portal||December|
|File California Dream Act||By March 2|
|Decision for 1st-year admissions released||March 31|
|Waitlisted applicants invited||April 15|
|Deadline to accept admission offer||May 1|
|Final decision released||By June 30|
|Deadline for submission of all Transcripts||July 1|
|AP and IB Exam Results||July 15|
Top Courses offered at University of California San Diego
The most popular courses offered at the University of California San Diego for graduates are –
- Biology/Biological Sciences
- Computer Science
- International/Globalization Studies
- Econometrics and Quantitative Economics
- Mathematics and Computer Science
- Communication, General
- Neurobiology and Anatomy
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
|MS(42 Courses)||GRE: Accepted; IELTS: 7 & Above; TOEFL: 85 & Above|
|MEng(1 Course)||GRE: Accepted; IELTS: 7 & Above; TOEFL: 85 & Above|
|MBA(2 Courses)||GMAT: Accepted; GRE: Accepted; IELTS: 7 & Above|
|MIM(6 Courses)||GRE: Accepted; IELTS: 7 & Above; TOEFL: 90 & Above|
|BBA(8 Courses)||SAT: Accepted; IELTS: 7 & Above; TOEFL: 83 & Above|
|MFA(8 Courses)||IELTS: 7 & Above|
|BE/ BTech(35 Courses)||SAT: Accepted; IELTS: 7 & Above; TOEFL: 83 & Above|
|BSc(60 Courses)||SAT: Accepted; IELTS: 7 & Above; TOEFL: 83 & Above|
|MA(5 Courses)||IELTS: 7 & Above|
|MArch(1 Course)||IELTS: 7 & Above|
|Other Courses(80 Courses)||IELTS: 7 & Above; TOEFL: 83-100; SAT: Accepted|
Below is a step by step guide for students to easily complete the application process of the University of California San Diego.
- Visit the official website of the university.
- Select ‘Apply Now’ or the ‘Register Here’ option.
- Fill in all your qualifications.
- Fill in your employment history details.
- Fill in the personal statement details.
- Payment of the application fee to complete your application process.
Also Read: Study in USA Guide for Indian Students
The following documents are to be submitted by a student to complete their admission formalities –
- All official academic Transcripts and grade cards
- Passport size photographs
- Passport photocopy
- Updated CV/Resume
- English Language Proficiency Test Scores
- Letter of Recommendations
- Statement of Purpose
Cost of Studying
|Course Type||Average Annual Fee|
|UG course||USD 29,754 – 32,685 (INR 22.45 – 24.67 Lakhs)|
|PG course||USD15,102 – 28,705 (INR 11.4- 21.66 Lakh)|
Also Read: Cost of Studying in USA
Cost of Living
Below is the detail of the estimated cost of living of University of California San Diego students –
|Living on campus||Living off campus|
|Housing & Meals||$13,788 (INR 10.40 Lakhs)||$13,080 (INR 9.87 Lakhs)|
|Books & Supplies||$1,101 (INR 83000)||$1,101 (INR 83000)|
|Transportation||$519 (INR 39000)||$1,089 (INR 82000)|
|Personal Expenses||$1,428 (INR 1.07 Lakhs)||$1,566 (INR 1.18 Lakhs)|
|Non California Resident Tuition/ Fees||$28,992 (INR 21.88 Lakhs)||$28,992 (INR 21.88 Lakhs)|
|Estimated Cost of Living for Non-Residents||$60,027 (INR 45.30 Lakhs)||$60,027 (INR 45.30 Lakhs)|
Interested in knowing more? Check out our Cost of Living Calculator.
There are four kinds of scholarships offered at the University of California San Diego –
- Regent Scholarship: It’s the most prestigious scholarship offered to the students at the University of California San Diego, these are the merit scholarships given on the basis of academic performance.
- UC San Diego Athletic Scholarship: This scholarship is intended for athletes who meet the required academic standards.
- James Avery Scholarship: This is for the African-American descendants & undergraduates with a full focus on the performing arts.
- Charmaine and Maurice Kaplan Scholarships: This is for the students in need of financial aid with good academic performance. The insurance premiums vary up to US $ 5,000 (INR 3.77 Lakh) per year.
The minimum GPA needed by California residents is 3.0 and international residents need to have a 3.4 GPA.
Yes, the University of California San Diego is among the Public Ivy colleges of the US that provide the same level of education to its students as a private Ivy League Institute.
Yes. All the foreign documents like final transcripts and letters of recommendation that are originally written in another language must be translated before submission by an official translator.
If you have submitted your application by the early deadline of December 4, then you can request an early decision.
Yes, if you have an advance approval from the departments you want to take courses in, then you can take elective courses.
If you require more information on the University of California, San Diego or if you want help in the application process, kindly contact Leverage Edu to help you get an admit to the top American Universities.