The United Arab Emirates, abbreviated as UAE is a small nation in the Arabian Peninsula bordered by Saudi Arabia, the Persian Gulf and Oman. Its capital city is Abu Dhabi. Since 1950 after the discovery of oil in the region, the UAE economy has undergone massive and rapid changes. UAE has turned its focus primarily on three sectors Infrastructure Development, Tourism Business and Education. Students majorly choose to study in UAE because of the developments in these sectors. This article explains why you should study in UAE, the cost of studying and more.
This Blog Includes:
|Country||United Arab Emirates or UAE|
|Capital City||Abu Dhabi|
|Official Currency||UAE Dirham|
|Population||10 million (approximately)|
|Popular Academic Institutions||United Arab Emirates University, American University of Sharjah, Khalifa University, University of Sharjah, Zayed University, American University in Dubai (AUD).|
|Popular Courses||Engineering & Technology, Life Sciences and Medicine, Computer Science and Information Systems, Tourism and Architecture.|
|Total International Students||75k+|
Why Study in the UAE?
The UAE higher education sector is governed by the Ministry of Higher Education. United Arab Emirates University, American University of Sharjah, Khalifa University, University of Sharjah, Zayed University, and American University in Dubai (AUD) are some of the popular academic institutions in UAE. Engineering & Technology, Life Sciences and Medicine, Computer Science and Information Systems, Tourism, and Architecture are preferred courses among both domestic and international students. UAE currently serve approximately 75k students with almost 15k from India. There are multiple reasons to study in UAE, some of the major ones are listed below
- World-Class Universities
UAE is the home of some world-class universities, that have opened their campuses in UAE like Middlesex University, New York University, American University of Sharjah etc.
- Cultural Interaction
The UAE is made up of seven emirates – Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Sharjah, Ajman, Fujairah, Ras Al Khaimah and Umm Al Quwain – all with their own unique identities, cultures and attractions which means there is plenty to explore and discover.
- No Language Barrier
There is no language barrier in education and growth because the English language is widely accepted in UAE in both the education and business sector.
- Safe Nation
The United Arab Emirates has established itself as a safe and prestigious nation with its thriving economy, rich heritage, and open and welcoming culture.
- Low cost of studying
- Golden Visa Scheme
The UAE government has introduced a new visa scheme called the golden visa scheme where will be granted a 10-year resident visa for talented students and their families.
Admission intake in UAE varies among different universities. Some universities enrol students throughout the year while other universities open for admissions in specific months.
Generally, the fall season attracts the most international students to study in UAE. The intake for both UG and PG students is mentioned below.
|Intakes||UG Courses||PG Courses|
The below-mentioned field of study is preferred among both domestic and international students looking to pursue Bachelors’s and Master’s degrees in UAE.
- Engineering & Technology
- Life Sciences and Medicine
- Computer Science
- Information System
- Tourism and Hospitality Management
- Clinical Psychology
Top Universities with Global University Ranking
Listed below are some of the top and highly renowned colleges and universities with QS global university ranking 2022, that are providing top courses in UAE for domestic and international students.
|Universities||QS Ranking 2022|
|United Arab Emirates University||=296|
|American University of Sharjah||=369|
|Canadian University Dubai||541-550|
|Al in University||601-650|
|Abu Dhabi University||651-700|
|American University in Dubai||651-700|
Must Read: Medical Colleges in UAE
The admission process for study in UAE is completed in three parts including eligibility criteria, documents requirement and application submission.
|Course Level||Minimum Requirements|
|UG Programs||The student must have completed at least 12 years of schooling. Applicants from CBSE or ISC board must have scored a minimum of 50% to 60% to apply.IELTS – 5.5-6.0 & TOEFL – 70|
|PG Programs||60% and above percentage in Undergraduate degrees will be considered.IELTS- 6.0-6.5 & TOEFL – 7|
|PhD Programs||Students must hold a master’s degree from any recognised university with a GPA of 3.3/ 4.0.IELTS Score of 6.5 overall.|
To initiate the application process to study in UAE the students must follow the below-mentioned steps for pursuing top courses in their dream foreign university.
- Applicants should visit the official website of the university in UAE where he/she wants to pursue top courses in the UAE of their choice.
- Then, click on ‘Apply Now or ‘Register Here’
- Candidates are then asked to provide their education history with all the qualifications.
- Candidates are also required to fill in the details of their employment history and personal statement.
- Once the form has been filled up, students must submit the application form by paying the mentioned fees.
The document requirements vary from university to university and it also depends upon the course chosen by students. However, the basic list of documents required for pushing top courses in the UAE is
- Student high school and all other grade transcripts.
- Language test results scores like IELTS, TOEFL, (if asked by the university) etc.
- Copy of your passport.
- Submission essays (if asked by the university)
- Updated CV or Resume
- Statement of purpose (SOP)
- Letter of recommendation (LOR)
- Copy of student visa.
UAE Student Visa
Applicants looking to study in UAE need to apply for a student visa. To get this students generally need to be sponsored by the country residents. The sponsorship is done by universities itself mostly. The application process is done online. The cost of the visa application is AED 3000 (INR 65k) and additionally, and a deposit of AED 3000 is also required.
Before applying for a student visa to study in UAE applicant need to complete below mentioned documents.
- Valid passport with at least six months left and two blank visa pages.
- Four passport copies.
- 12 passport photographs.
- Three passport copies and an entry visa to the UAE on arrival.
- Bank statements providing evidence of sufficient funds.
- Tenancy agreement or proof of living arrangements.
- Copy of tuition fee receipt for the current year of study.
- Copy of visa fee receipt for the current year of study.
- Postgraduate students will need proof of their undergraduate degree.
Student residence visas will only last for one year, and will therefore need renewal if the course is longer than this period.
Cost of Studying in the UAE
The cost of studying in the UAE depends upon the university and course category. The cost of study for UG, PG and PhD programs is mentioned below.
|Undergraduate Programs||Fee (Annual)|
|BBA||INR 4.5-10 lacs|
|BSc||INR 10-25 lacs|
|BHM||INR 9-10 lacs|
|B.Tech||INR 9-12 lacs|
|Postgraduate Programs||Tuition Fee (Annual)|
|MS||INR 7-14 lacs|
|MBA||INR 7-22 lacs|
|MIM||INR 12-36 lacs|
|MEM||INR 7-15 lacs|
|MA||INR 7-10 lacs|
Cost of Living
The cost of living in the United Arab Emirates is quite high, so the student community need to plan their budget wisely. International students can apply for a work permit in the UAE and can attain a job to help fund their study abroad journey.
|Meal||US $ 16 (INR 1300)|
|Monthly Housing Rent||US $ 800-1000 (INR 64k – 80k)|
|Monthly Transport||US $ 30 (INR 2500)|
The below-shared scholarships are awarded by the academic and non-academic institutions for international students enrolled in UG, PG and PhD programs in the UAE.
- The Marie Wright Scholarship for Non-Traditional Locations
- The Charles B. Rangel International Affairs Fellowships
- The American University in Dubai Scholarship
- William Jefferson Clinton Presidential Scholarships
- The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarships
- The David L. Boren Scholarships
- Team Middlesex Sporting Excellence International Awards in the United Arab Emirates
- Khalifa University International Partial-Scholarships
- Financial Hardship Scholarships for International Students at Canadian University Dubai
- Mohamed Bin Zayed University International Awards in Artificial Intelligence
- Chancellor’s Scholarship at Emirates Aviation University
- Emirates Aviation University Vice-Chancellor’s International Scholarship in the United Arab Emirates
Must Read: Top Courses in UAE
The United Arab Emirates provides off-campus part-time job opportunities to International Students only after receiving permission from the Department of Labour and students require permission from the University or College for part-time work. Students must have visa issues by Dubai Creative Cluster Authority (DCCA).
- Student age should be above 18yrs with good academics and personal records.
- During sessions, students can work for AED 15 to AED 30 per hour for 15 hours (INR 326- 652) per week or 60 hours per month.
- During summer breaks, they can work for AED 15 to AED 30 (INR 326-652) per hour 40 hours per week or 160 hours per month.
UAE is made up of seven states or emirates namely Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Sharjah, Ajman, Umm Al-Quwain, Fujairah, and Ras Al Khaimah.
It’s Friday (due to religious aspirations) not Sunday is declared as a weekly off in UAE.
Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, ruler of Abu Dhabi is the first president of the United Arab Emirates.
We hope this blog helped you pick a course you wish to pursue. Wish to apply for top courses in UAE? If you want to pursue higher studies from a prestigious university in UAE or any other destination of your choice, get in touch with our Leverage Edu experts for assistance at every step of your application! Sign up for a free session with us now!