Since childhood, we often hear our parents saying “touch the heights of the sky.” But we all know that that is impractical. How can we touch the sky? I mean it’s not even tangible. Right? We can’t touch the sky, but we can feel the heights of the tangible “Burj Khalifa” (the tallest building in the world). And we can do that while studying in Dubai. A number of students come from different corners of the world every year to study in Dubai. Want to know why? Well, that’s what we are here for. Read this entire ‘Study in Dubai’ study guide to get answers to all your questions.
This Blog Includes:
- Why Study in Dubai?
- Step-By-Step Admission Process to Study in Dubai
- Getting Student Visa in Dubai
- Cost of Studying in Dubai
- Top Universities in Dubai
- Requirements to Study in Dubai
- Work while Study in Dubai
- Scholarships to Study in Dubai
- Top Courses to Pursue in Dubai
- Which Examinations/Tests are Required to Apply and Study in Dubai?
- When Can I Start Studying in Dubai?
Why Study in Dubai?
Who doesn’t know about Dubai? You must remember the name of Dubai from either the news or the web. Dubai is one of the Emirates in the UAE region and famously known as the city of gold due to its imminent rise in commerce, oil, and business. However, from camels to sports cars, from culture to the charm of its prince, from vending machines to the uber-rich natives, many peculiar wonders exist in Dubai. It’s like an independent city that ranks among one of the most modern and progressive cities of the world with world-class facilities, infrastructure, and prominent standing in the global business market.
Access to One of the Fastest Growing Economies
Have you ever heard the name of the Brookings Global Metro Monitor? In the simplest manner, we can say that it keeps a check on the largest metropolitan economies. Do you know? Out of more than 300 metropolitan economics, Dubai ranks as the 5th fastest growing economies in the world. And the best part is that you can get a chance to study in Dubai, or should I say study in the land of rapid growth and development. The credit of such aggravated growth of the economy goes to the growth of trade and tourism which is promoted in Dubai.
Now, you’re already aware of how powerful Dubai’s economy is. In such an economy, you will not struggle to find a job after the completion of the course. Once you get inside the city, you will observe how it has powerful companies such as BBC, Sky News, AP, HP, Oracle, Microsoft, etc that make a global impact. So the employment opportunities are boundless after you study in Dubai.
We can’t deny the fact that there are more than 100 nationalities in a single place leading to people with different perspectives, styles, ideologies, and accents. Surveys have found out that in the national culture of the territory, Emirati accounts to only 20% of the total population and the other 80% belong to foreigners that hail from across the globe. On the streets, you may hear various languages like English, Arabic, Farsi, Urdu, Hindi and even Tagalog. Those who study in Dubai take a bunch of unforgettable experiences with them when they leave.
We can’t say that Gulf regions are politically stable but still, it is surprising to note that Dubai’s political system is stable and safe. After all, many international students are convinced to study in Dubai because of its political stability. Moreover, the bonds that Dubai has with other cities and nations are friendly and secured. So there are no chances of instability in the future too.
While you study in Dubai, you will get an international experience that is different from any other country. This is partly due to the fact that Dubai boasts one of the most modern facilities in the world with leading technology, industries, and a high-quality standard of living. The other factors that contribute to the unique and rich experience are the fact that you’ll experience different cultures on every corner of this country, which will only enrichen your experience.
Being a popular tourist spot, Dubai has many stars, influencers, celebrities, sports players, and other inspirational figures from around the world visit frequently. It’s safe to say that you won’t have to deal with any dull moments here. Moreover, the rich emirs of the city often hire the best entertainers for themselves and such events are usually open for all to attend. Still, if you aren’t interested in attending such events, you always visit the water parks, beaches, shopping complexes, multiplexes, and beautiful gardens while you study in Dubai.
How can someone be an all-rounder? Actually, that’s why Dubai is distinctive in character. You will meet people who have a great sense of humour, a perfect sense of tradition, and sincerity. The relationship of natives with foreigners is truly amazing. The natives welcome people and are don’t shy away from teaching foreigners about their culture and values. You will notice this welcoming nature of the locals when you study in Dubai.
Well-connected Public Transportation
Dubai is famous for its advanced bus system and subway operations. There exist a very punctual and reliable bus system in Dubai which is cheap at the same time. The frequency of bus rides is regular and you will come across very polite drivers and other passengers. There also exists a subway system that covers the whole city and has high-speed subway trains with good connectivity and amazing facilities for a low cost.
Step-By-Step Admission Process to Study in Dubai
Step 1: Research institutions and courses to study in Dubai and make a list of the ones that are most suitable to you. Don’t forget to check eligibility criteria and deadlines because both vary for different universities. If you need any help, we’ll always help you out at Leverage Edu.
Step 2: Collect all the necessary documents like:
- A complete application form
- Transcripts and certificates that show your academic qualifications
- Copy of your valid passport
- Most recent passport size photograph
- Certification in English proficiency exams such as TOEFL, C1 Advanced, or IELTS.
- Application Fee
Step 3: Most of the universities accept applications online. However, you already know that every university has its own specific mode of instruction. So we recommend you to check the website of your desired university to know where you can submit your documents and application to study in Dubai.
Getting Student Visa in Dubai
The process of getting a student visa in Dubai is quite a simpler one. To begin with, student visas in Dubai are issued to those expatriate students who are presently living in the country with the sponsorship of parents or relatives or else to international students planning to study in Dubai. Following are the visa application requirements to study in Dubai:
- You need to get an official admission letter from the university where you have been accepted to.
- You will be required to pass a medical fitness exam and provide a certificate regarding the same.
- In order to obtain a visa to study in Dubai, the student must have a visa sponsor which can either be your university or a parent or relative who is a UAE resident.
- Further, you will also need to obtain approval of the General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs (GDFRA).
Cost of Getting Student Visa in Dubai
The cost of applying for a student visa in Dubai can be up to 820 USD with a refundable security deposit of roughly 270USD as per a single application.
Documents Required for Getting Student Visa in Dubai
Here is a document checklist you must make sure of while applying for a visa to study in Dubai:
- Acceptance or admission letter from your university
- Passport-sized photographs
- Proof of bachelor’s degree if you are applying for a master’s or postgraduate-level program
- Bank statements as the financial proof that you have sufficient funds to cover your tuition fees as well as living expenses
- Copy of tuition fees along with visa fees for your first year of study in Dubai
- Proof of student accommodation or else tenancy agreement.
- Medical certificate; you will also have to take tests like chest X-ray, HIV, Hepatitis B, Tuberculosis, Syphilis, Leprosy, and Hepatitis C to show you’re mentally fit
Note: Make sure to go through the official website of your university to know about the terms and conditions as well as admission criteria and visa process.
After fulfilling all the requirements, go ahead and submit your application and documents at the Dubai Visa Application Center along with the required fees in CASH. After approval, your PNR will be updated. You can collect your visa copy from the centre. Your visa is now valid for a year. So you will have to renew it after a year of starting your studies in Dubai.
Cost of Studying in Dubai
Tuition fees and living costs encompass the key factors you need to weigh in while planning to study abroad. The tuition fees will largely depend upon the institution you have chosen as well as the degree or diploma program you are opting for. On an average, undergraduate degrees might cost around 37500 AED to 70000 AED (7,72,000-14,42,000 INR) while postgraduate courses can be somewhere between 55000 to 75000 AED (11,33,000-15,45,000 INR). When it comes to living costs, opting for on-campus accommodation is a great idea to save some money but if you are planning to get a shared apartment or live on your own, then you can expect to pay around 22,000-55,000 AED (4,53,000-11,33,000 INR). Also, there is an International Student Identity Card issued to foreign nationals to avail discounts for varied essential and entertainment services.
Note: The costs mentioned above are only estimates and for indicative purpose. The actual costs and expenses might vary as per the university, course and other factors.
Top Universities in Dubai
Dubai is home to over 65 universities that are equipped with the state-of-the-art infrastructure and advanced facilities. Here are some of the prominent universities in Dubai that are further elaborated in the next section:
- University of Dubai
- Saint-Petersburg State University of Engineering & Economics, Dubai Branch
- Hult International Business School-Dubai Campus
- Zayed University
- Al Ghurair University
- Biotechnology University College Dubai
- Modul University -Dubai Campus
- University of Wollongong in Dubai
- Middlesex University-Dubai Campus
- American University in Dubai
- Strathclyde Business School
- Canadian University of Dubai (CUD)
- British University in Dubai
- Hamdan Bin Mohammed Smart University
University of Dubai
Generally, the University of Dubai is known as UD. It is an institution which is primarily focused on offering high-quality education since 1997. The university is accredited from ABET and AACSB that shows the quality of education it provides. As a student, you will get an excellent learning environment along with the great faculty.
American University of Dubai
This is one of the most prestigious universities in the nation that was founded in 1995. Currently, it aims to generate professional and personal successful students in a culturally diverse nation. UAE nationals and international students get an opportunity to study In Dubai with an American curriculum and education pattern.
Zayed University came into being in 1998 and is considered as the leader of innovation in research and education. Its quality research creates new knowledge in all respective areas. At present, the university has two campuses in Dubai and Abu Dhabi where international students are welcomed to study. The institution specializes in research, business, health & nutrition, communication & media, academics, humanities & social sciences, art & design, natural sciences, education, and information technology.
Canadian University Dubai
The Canadian University Dubai was formed in 2006 with an aim to offer an outstanding academic education in Dubai which comprises of Candian methodology and study pattern. Students are free to choose a wide range of programs like communication, engineering, arts & sciences, architecture & interior designing, and management. According to QS Global Rankings 2019, this university ranks 8th in the UAE and 2nd in Dubai. At present, the university aims to build a student who is not only impeccable in lifelong learning but also remains good as a citizen. And to achieve this aim, the university has gone beyond the academic area to impart quality life skills and is a must-consider choice when you plan to study in Dubai.
Requirements to Study in Dubai
International Students can study at a variety of universities and colleges, but they must first complete the entrance criteria. If you are neither a UAE native or a citizen of one of the GCC nations (Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, or Saudi Arabia), you will need a study visa to study in Dubai. Students must fulfil all university processes before receiving a Student Visa. The following papers are required for a Dubai Student Visa application:
- a current passport
- Four duplicate passports
- Twelve recent passport-sized photos with a white backdrop.
- A letter of acceptance from a UAE university was obtained.
- Students must provide a bank statement to verify their finances.
- A tenancy contract. If a student does not have any, he must obtain a letter from the university if he want to continue in University Housing.
- A copy of the tuition fee receipt for the current academic year.
- a copy of the visa fee receipt for the current academic year
- Proof of an undergraduate degree is required for post-graduate students.
- When the student arrives in Dubai, he must undergo a medical examination at an authorised medical facility. For HIV, Hepatitis C, Hepatitis B, Leprosy, Syphilis, and Tuberculosis, the test usually involves a medical examination and a chest X-ray.
- If any of these tests come back positive, the student will be deported, with the exception of Syphilis, which may be cured.
Work while Study in Dubai
Every International Student is concerned about finding a part-time employment. International students can work part-time jobs off school in the United Arab Emirates. Part-time work, however, requires clearance from the University or College. Students can also get experience outside of the classroom by working in libraries, departments, and administrative offices on campus. Students might work 15 hours per week or 60 hours per month during sessions. They can also labour for 40 hours per week or 160 hours per month during the summer vacation.
Scholarships to Study in Dubai
- Khalifa University Scholarship
- United Arab Emirates University Scholarships
- Canadian Dubai Scholarship
- Abu Dhabi University Scholarships
- Mohamed bin Zayed University Scholarship
Top Courses to Pursue in Dubai
- Business Administration
- Tourism & Hospitality
- Accounts & Finance
- Global social science
- Advertising, Public Relations & Media
- Business Information Systems
- Information Technology,
Which Examinations/Tests are Required to Apply and Study in Dubai?
International students studying in Dubai are normally not required to take English proficiency tests such as the IELTS, PTE, or TOEFL. One of the benefits of studying in Dubai is this. Students are not needed to verify their English competence, unlike colleges in the United Kingdom, the United States, Australia, or any other country, making the admission process more accessible. Certificates from any English medium school can help to apply to the universities and colleges along with their academic merit and other similar eligibility criteria.
When Can I Start Studying in Dubai?
In general, Dubai has two intakes every year. This occurs in the months of January/February or September/October. There are, however, a few colleges that accept students in December.
Finally, we can say that you’re now aware of the heights that Dubai can bring into your career. We don’t want to put a limit on your career. We want you way higher than the Burj Khalifa. We said so because we care about making awesome careers. If you ever want to use Leverage Edu as an elevator to reach the top, feel free to reach out to us at +91-8826200293.