Psychology is an interesting subject, possessing elements of both Social Science and Science. Spanning a vast range of career opportunities, Psychology is one of the most sought-after degrees in today’s time as a career in Psychology is a well-reputed career to pursue. You’ll get the best potential window into human Psychology in the UK if you’re fascinated by how people think and behave. Some of the brightest minds in the industry are conducting research and publishing their findings right here on the conscious decisions we make every day to the ways we learn, remember, socialise, and dream. In this blog, we will discuss more Psychology courses in the UK for aspirants to pursue.
This Blog Includes:
- Why Study Psychology Courses in UK?
- Popular Specialisations
- Best Universities for Psychology Courses in UK
- Eligibility Criteria
- Documents Required
- Cost of Studying Psychology Courses in UK
- Scholarships for Psychology Courses in UK
- Career Prospects after Psychology Courses in UK
Why Study Psychology Courses in UK?
Mentioned below are some of the best reasons to pursue Psychology courses in the UK:
- A BBC survey has revealed that the popularity of Psychology courses in the UK has seen a spiral rise, with more than 100,000 students registered for the degree in 2014.
- Psychology courses in the UK are in great demand and the employment level of Psychology graduates is also very high.
- The wide range of transferable skills makes a career in psychology one of the most sought-after careers in the UK for aspirants.
- Since the UK has such a diverse population, both in colleges and in society as a whole, it provides a perfect atmosphere for students interested in unravelling the mysteries of the human mind.
- Being around a diverse group of people assists Psychology students in developing many of the abilities they will need as professionals.
- Students will learn to be tolerant, accept others for who they are, and empathise with others.
- The country is one of the best places on the planet to study true, academic English.
- Universities in the United Kingdom are well known for their academic excellence and are highly ranked in worldwide rankings and quality education.
In comparison to other programmes, Psychology courses in UK have a wide range of specialisations to choose from for students. Listed below are some general specialisations offered by UK universities in Psychology:
- Applied Psychology
- Child Psychology
- Clinical Psychology
- Developmental Psychology
- Educational Psychology
- Experimental Psychology
- Forensic Psychology
- Criminal Psychology
- Social Psychology
- Sport Psychology
- Criminology, Criminal Investigation, Forensic Science
- Sociology, Social Anthropology, Social Care, Philosophy
- Biology, Zoology, Animal Behaviour, Environmental Science
- Education, Childhood Studies, Child Development, Counselling
- Accounting, Finance, HR Management, Advertising, Business, Economics, Entrepreneurship, Marketing
- Archaeology, Architectural Design, Art And Design History, Celtic Studies
- Computer Science, Computing, Digital Media And Information, Film and Media Studies
- English, Creative Writing, Journalism, Publishing, Drama and Theatre Studies, Dance, Music
- Philosophy, Politics, Law, International Relations
- Social History, European Studies, Tourism, Geography, Religious Studies
- Mathematics, Sport/Sports Studies
Best Universities for Psychology Courses in UK
The table mentioned below has a list of some of the best universities in the UK for pursuing Psychology courses:
|Name of the University||QS World University Rankings 2024|
|University of Oxford||3|
|University of Cambridge||2|
|University College London||9|
|King’s College London||40|
|The London School of Economics and Political Science||45|
|University of Edinburgh||22|
|University of Manchester||32|
|University of Warwick||67|
|University of Exeter||153|
The eligibility criteria of pursuing Psychology courses in UK will differ from university to university based on certain factors like the level of study (UG, PG or PhD), course type, type of university, and more. Aspirants who are seeking to pursue the best Psychology course from a UK university must fulfil the basic eligibility criteria mentioned below:
|Undergraduate||An overall percentage of over 75% in class XII result.|
|Postgraduate||A bachelor’s degree with a 2:1 grade (i.e. 60-70%)|
|Doctorate||A bachelors and masters degree with at least 60% in the taught units|
- Apart from the above mentioned general eligibility criteria, students must also have decent English Language proficiency scores (IELTS/TOEFL/PTE)
- For PG and research degrees, GRE/GMAT, scores are also required
Here is a checklist of important documents that UK universities will ask students who wish to pursue the best Psychology courses in UK:
- Academic Transcripts as proof of your academic achievements
- Proof of English Proficiency test scores
- Proof of Funds as evidence to pay for the tuition fees and monthly living cost for the first year
- Academic reference letters or LORs
- SOPs or Personal Statement
Know in Detail About the Requirements to Study in UK!
Cost of Studying Psychology Courses in UK
Tuition fees constitute a major part of the cost of studying in the UK for Indian students. Overseas fees for psychology courses in UK range from £12000 to £15000 and can go up to £35000.
|Study Program in Psychology||Average Annual Fee|
|Undergraduate bachelor programmes||£7,000 to £20,000|
|Postgraduate master’s programmes||£10,000 to £25,000|
|Doctoral programmes||£15,000 to £30,000|
Note: The aforementioned costs are only indicative. Actual tuition fees can vary as per the course and university.
Scholarships for Psychology Courses in UK
If you plan well in advance, you can apply to an extensive range of scholarships offered by the UK Government and universities. Here is a list of some of the best scholarships for Indian students to study in the UK:
- British Chevening Scholarships for International Scholarships
- Erasmus Mundus Joint Masters Degree Scholarship
- GREAT Scholarships
- A.S Hornby Educational Trust Scholarship
- Felix Scholarships
- Rhodes Scholarship
- Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan
- Charles Wallace India Trust Scholarships (CWIT)
- Dr. Manmohan Singh Scholarships
- Inlaks Scholarships
- Scotland Saltire Scholarships
- Goa Education Trust Scholarships
- Queen Mary University Scholarships
- University of Westminster Scholarships
Career Prospects after Psychology Courses in UK
As mentioned before, career opportunities and job prospects that come under the umbrella of the field of Psychology are far and wide. Listed below are some of the most famous job prospects that aspirants can pursue after finishing their Psychology course in UK:
|Job Type||Average Salary (United Kingdom)|
|Human Resources Manager||£40,631|
|Sports Psychologist||£ 35,600|
|Psychology Teacher (School)||£37,175|
|Psychology Professor (University/College)||£90,891|
Yes, the UK is a good destination to study and make a career in Psychology. The various subjects are taught in a variety of universities across the UK and the demand for psychology graduates is high in the nation.
A psychology program can last for 3 to 4 years, depending upon your choice.
There are no specific subjects for enrollment in a Psychology degree. While having a background in Psychology, Life Sciences or related science subjects can give you an advantage because of the scientific nature of the subject, they are not absolute necessities.
A Psychologist is a person with a master’s degree in Psychology. They can go on to work in research settings or choose to master in a specialised field. A psychiatrist, on the other hand, is a medical professional. Both of them follow different models of therapy.
You require a degree accredited by the BPS (British Psychological Society). To get your degree accredited you are required to complete your Master’s in the sub-field you aspire to pursue.
Psychology is not a difficult subject to study and to do well in if you’re genuinely interested in the subject. Studying Psychology is a relatively easy affair if you have the right attitude for it.
Interested in studying some of the best Psychology courses in the UK? Connect with our study abroad experts at Leverage Edu and kickstart your study abroad journey. Call us at 1800 57 2000 to book your FREE counselling session today.