Have you ever thought that why certain individuals commit horrendous crimes? Or what battles they are fighting inside their heads and why? This is where a Criminal Psychologist comes into the picture. Criminal Psychologists are mental health professionals who work within the justice system, assess the profiles of suspects for law enforcement agencies and diagnose the suspects who could be mentally unstable and show criminal tendencies. If you are intrigued by this profile and want to carve your career in psychology, here is a blog that will shed light on the intricacies of the field of Criminal Psychology.
This Blog Includes:
Criminal Psychology Courses
With the increase in demand of trained professionals, who are not only adept with various psychology skills but are also conceptually strong, a wide range of courses with unique amalgamations in this field are available at both the bachelor’s and master’s levels. While the undergraduate courses will equip you with the basics of criminal psychology, postgraduate programmes, on the other hand, will help you gain advanced knowledge of the field. Below mentioned is a list of trending courses in this domain:
- CertHE Criminology and Psychology
- CertHE Criminology and Criminal Justice with Psychology
- ICI Diploma in Criminal Psychology
- Foundation Degree Psychology and Criminal Behaviour
- BSc Criminology Psychology
- BSc Criminology Psychology with Foundation Year
- BSc Criminology and Criminal Psychology
- Criminology and Criminal Psychology PG Certificate
- Criminology and Criminal Psychology PG Diploma
- MSc Criminology and Criminal Psychology
- MSc Legal and Criminological Psychology
Click Here to Register for a Free Consultation Session!
While pursuing overseas education in this field, you will get to study the below-mentioned subjects. What you need to note is that a plethora of variations are offered by multiple universities abroad. Hence, the syllabus and coursework of the program may differ from the subjects mentioned below as these are just for indicative purposes.
|Psychology of Criminal Behaviour||Psychological Disorders and Criminal Behaviour||Rehabilitation of Criminals|
|Violent Criminal Behaviour and Drug-Related Crime||Police Psychology||Role of Psychology in Prevention, Treatment and Assessment|
|Selection & Training of Law Enforcement Personnel||Rehabilitation of Juvenile Delinquents and Victims||Assessment & Evaluation in Forensic Psychology|
|The Victim||Introduction and Overview of Forensic Psychology||Investigative Psychology|
Once you have found a suitable course in this domain, it is time for you to apply to a university of your choice. But before sending applications, you must thoroughly research the institute and its course structure. Following are some of the famous institutions which provide various programs in Criminal Psychology:
- University of Colorado Denver
- New York University
- George Washinton University
- University of South Wales
- University of Derby
- Buckinghamshire New University
- University of Greenwich
- Aberyswyth University
- International Career Institute
- University of Essex
- College of Management and IT
- Milton Keynes College
- University of Cumbria
To study abroad the trending programs in the field of Criminal Psychology, you must satisfy the entry requisites demanded by the universities. A plethora of promising programs are available, to enter which, you must have a look at these prerequisites:
- For bachelor’s courses, candidates must have the usual formal schooling of 10+2 from a recognized institution with minimum marks as required by the institution.
- For a master’s degree, it is compulsory to have an undergraduate degree in the field of Criminal Psychology or in courses like BA Psychology or BSc Psychology.
- Along with this, candidates should have around 1-2 years of work experience. However, this is not mandatory
- Aspirants have to undergo English language proficiency tests like IELTS, TOEFL, etc to prove their fluency. Apart from this, LORs (Letter of Recommendation) and SOP (Statement of Purpose) will help your application create a sound impression.
Criminal Psychology: Career Prospects[optin-monster-shortcode id=”xf2mlnjiouddzrshykdb”]
Pursuing a course in Criminal Psychology opens up the door to a multitude of career opportunities as soon as you complete the degree or short term courses. Being a criminal psychologist, you would be tasked with a wide range of responsibilities including, assisting and accompanying the police officers in identifying clues from the crime scene. So, to establish your career in Criminal Psychology, here are some of the job profiles you can opt for:
- Behaviour Analyst
- Criminal Psychologist
- Case Manager
- Academic Researcher
- Criminal Profiler
- Clinical and Program Director
- Law Enforcement Advocate
- Criminal Psychologist for the Legal System
- Forensic Psychologist
- Rehabilitative Counselor
Thus, we hope that this blog about Criminal Psychology has helped you gain a deeper insight into the domain. To kick start your career in this field and choose the most appropriate course and university, reach out to our experts at Leverage Edu. Not only will they provide assistance in completing admission related documentation but will also help in writing an impressive SOP!