With so many courses to choose from, students often get confused. STEM is the branch that is among the top priority for the students. Whether getting into a well-established company or getting further by innovating a product- students are widely interested in STEM. Let us look at some of the 1 year STEM courses in USA.
This Blog Includes:
- What is STEM?
- List of STEM Courses In USA
- 1 Year Stem Courses In USA: Top Universities
- 1 Year Stem Courses In USA: Eligibility Criteria
- Important Things to Note for 1 Year Stem Courses In USA
- Application Process & Documents Required
- STEM Scholarships for International Students
- 1 Year Stem Courses In USA: Advantages
What is STEM?
STEM means Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics. STEM is a grouped education system in the USA that takes care of the studies in the area of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math. STEM helps the students to excel in the four specific disciplines in an interdisciplinary manner. The four disciplines are not taught as separate subjects, the STEM helps to integrate all four of them together to help the student get ready for real-world applications. In the US, the professions that are related to STEM subjects are very important. It helps in establishing the future of the country and its various aspects like economic, scientific, technological progress in the long run.
Also Read: STEM for Girls by IBM
List of STEM Courses In USA
Courses available in the USA for STEM are as follows:
- Forensic Science and Technology
- Plant Sciences
- Agricultural Engineering
- Animal Sciences
- Computer Programming
- Environmental studies
- Food science
- Forensic Chemistry
- Horticultural Science
- Human Biology
- Mechanical Engineering
- Military Applied Sciences
- Mining Technology
- Molecular Biology
- Nuclear Physics
- Nutritional Sciences
- Ocean Engineering
- Petroleum Technology
- Architectural Engineering
- Behavioral Sciences
- Biomedical Technology
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer and Information Sciences
1 Year Stem Courses In USA: Top Universities
Though there are many colleges that have STEM programs, many courses under these STEM courses can be of a duration of 1-4 years. Thus, it is important to decide which course you have to take according to your interests and the programs that are available.
Some of the best universities for STEM programs are:
|Universities offering 1 year STEM Courses in USA||Location||QS World University Rankings 2022|
|Massachusetts Institute Of Technology||Massachusetts||1|
|California Institute Of Technology||California||6|
|Columbia University||New york||19|
|University Of California||Berkeley||32|
Also Read: STEM Courses in Canada
1 Year Stem Courses In USA: Eligibility Criteria
- It is important to hold a bachelor’s degree to get enrolled for a STEM course.
- Science: 10+2 with 3-year formal bachelor’s education in Science Honours
- Technology: 10+2 with 4-year formal bachelor’s education in any Technological or related specialization
- Engineering: 10+2 with 4-year formal bachelor’s education in any Engineering or related specialization
- Mathematics: 10+2 with 3-year formal bachelor’s education in Mathematics Honours
- To pursue a Masters’s in STEM, a minimum of 60% is required in the bachelor’s degree.
- Aptitude Tests like GRE/GMAT are also required. There is a requirement for GRE or GMAT in some of the colleges. Where some colleges only accept GRE scores, they may also accept GMAT scores to seek admission.
- English Language Tests like IELTS/TOEFL/PTE. Since the medium of teaching is purely English in universities abroad, having appeared for at least one of the English language tests is an absolute compulsion for international applicants. Minimum Scores required:
- IELTS Score: 6
- TOEFL Score: 80
- PTE Score: 50
Important Things to Note for 1 Year Stem Courses In USA
Here are some of the important things to keep in mind while considering 1 year STEM courses in USA:
- If the applicant chooses to study a STEM course, then he/she is eligible to remain in the US for an additional 24 months on an (Optional Practical Training) OPT STEM Extension.
- Students who have completed their Bachelors, Masters, or Ph.D. degree in STEM subjects are eligible to apply as well.
- It is important to know whether a particular program is a STEM program or not. It is based on the curriculum developed by the particular university for that particular program.
- Students with a STEM degree in some of the fields are highly in demand. It includes computing (computer networking, system analysis, software engineering, management information systems (MIS), cloud computing, computer science).
Application Process & Documents Required
Documents required to apply for the STEM Courses are as follows:
- STEM OPT Extension Recommendation Request Form
- 2 recent passport-sized photos
- Original Form G-1145
- Original Form I-765
- Photocopy of your passport ID page(s)
- Photocopy of most recent F-1 visa stamp
- Photocopies of all previously issued I-20s
- Official past transcripts
- Submission Essays
- Updated Resume
- Statement of Purpose (SOPs) and Letters of Recommendation (LORs)
- Test scores like IELTS/TOEFL/GRE etc.
STEM Scholarships for International Students
STEM college scholarships are very important as they focus only on awarding students who are in the STEM fields. Students need to be deeply involved in the four subjects namely science, technology, engineering, or math to apply for these scholarships, which will increase their chances to get financial freedom from student loans.
STEM scholarships for graduate students are as follows:
- AFB Paul and Ellen Ruckes Scholarship
- American Nuclear Society Scholarship Program
- DOE Computational Science Graduate Fellowship
- Masergy STEM Scholarship Program
As there are very few women in the tech sector, there are many scholarships available for women in STEM. Some of the scholarships available are as follows:
- ABC Humane Wildlife Control & Prevention, Inc. Academic Scholarship
- AWIS Kirsten R. Lorentzen Award
- Aysen Tunca Memorial Scholarship
- BHW Scholarship
- Society of Women Engineers Scholarship
- Women Techmakers Scholars Program
1 Year Stem Courses In USA: Advantages
It is rightly believed that all the people who work in the STEM fields are highly respected and are very important in every part of the world. In the US as well, it is of great significance. The occupations that come under STEM definitely help the US’s Economy. The US is a major power in the field of science and technology, and if you are getting a chance to study there, there cannot be a better option. With great universities that are at the top of their league to amazing faculty- there is space for research and innovation in the different STEM courses in the US.
The US also encourages its students and welcomes talents from countries all around the world to take care of its science and technology. With great jobs available with great pay- you and your career will reach great heights!.
Also Read: IIT-Gn Launches 30-30 STEM Program
If you are interested in the wide field of STEM subjects, make sure you explore your options of studying in the best of the best universities in the US with the help of our trailblazing AI Course Finder. If you have any doubt, feel free to connect with our experts at Leverage Edu. Make sure to let us know about your views in the comment section below! All the best for all your future endeavors!