Do you love writing? Do you have an interest in news reporting? Have you always been fascinated by the news or magazine industry? You can consider pursuing journalism after completing your 12th grade. Journalism corresponds to the dissemination of information through various types of mass media like television, radio, newspaper, etc. Now, in this digital era, it includes e-magazines, e-newspaper, and various social media platforms also. The digital era is here which is challenging traditional media houses to go online and monetize their digital platforms. This is where a huge number of opportunities are originating for those who wish to pursue a journalism career. Through this blog, we bring you a comprehensive list of popular journalism courses after 12th, top academic institutions for these programs as well as the career prospects in this field.
This Blog Includes:
- Types of Journalism Courses after 12th
- Top Bachelor’s Degree Journalism Courses after 12th
- Bachelors in Journalism
- Bachelor in Sports Journalism
- Bachelor in Journalism and Communication
- Eligibility for Journalism Courses after 12th
- Top Universities for Journalism Courses After 12th
- Top Diploma Courses in Journalism after 12th
- Top Masters Degree Journalism Courses after 12th
- Career Prospects in Journalism
Quick Read: Journalism vs Mass Communication
Types of Journalism Courses after 12th
If you have decided to pursue journalism as your career, then an academic course to study in the field is available at various levels. The types of journalism courses can be found below.
- Diploma courses.
- Bachelor Courses
- Master Courses
Top Bachelor’s Degree Journalism Courses after 12th
For those wanting to pursue a journalism career, there are a multitude of bachelor’s degrees as well as diploma and certificate courses available across the globe. Here is a complete list of undergraduate journalism courses after the 12th which you can choose from:
Bachelor’s Degree Courses in Journalism & Mass Communication
|Bachelor in Journalism and Mass Communication
|Bachelor of Journalism
|BA in Mass Media
|BA in Journalism
|BA in Convergent Journalism
|Bachelor in Sports Journalism
|BA Journalism & Communication
Specialised Journalism Courses after 12th
- BA (Hons) Journalism and Publishing
- BA (Hons) Magazine Journalism
- BA Journalism, Film and Television Studies
- BSc Media Communication and Journalism
- BA (Hons) Photojournalism
- BA (Hons) Cultural Studies and Media with Journalism
Recommended Read: Types of Journalism
Now, let’s explore some popular of these Journalism courses after 12th in further detail:
Bachelors in Journalism
In this course, you will learn a variety of new-age multimedia skills along with traditional skills that include all the elements of journalism. This degree helps you in developing skills like searching data, collecting data and presentation of information effectively and in a creative way. This course will introduce you to the professional aspects of journalism while also equipping you with theoretical knowledge related to economics and the history of media as well as ethical and social issues. This course will also expand your knowledge in other areas of media like television, print media and different social media platforms. You will get to know about the interview skills necessary to get featured on live news.
Also Read: Pivotal Field of Media Law
Bachelor in Sports Journalism
If you are a sports fan and want to pursue a career in journalism, then this course is well-suited for you. You will get the opportunity to deliver information about sports. You will also learn how to report for both online and traditional media platforms. The career path of sports journalism is ideal for sports enthusiasts who have a knack for reporting or writing.
Bachelor in Journalism and Communication
This degree will equip you with the required skills and knowledge for various fields in journalism that includes feature writers, editors, television reporters, presenters, etc. This degree helps you in understanding the use of different multimedia platforms that help in delivering and presenting content. It also helps you in understanding the basics of filming, editing, and interviewing. This course will teach you the aspects, importance, and other elements of being in a journalism career.
Must Read: Mass Communication Courses After 12th
Eligibility for Journalism Courses after 12th
There are various universities that have their own entrance exam for journalism courses after the 12th like IPU CET, IIMC Entrance Exam, etc. Here are the key eligibility requirements for Journalism courses after the 12th:
- You must have completed 12th in any stream, commerce, arts or science from a recognized board.
- In India, many universities have their own entrance exams for journalism courses like the IIMC Entrance Exam, Delhi University Bachelor of Mass Media and Mass Communication Entrance Exam, IPU CET, etc.
- If you are planning to study abroad, you will be required to provide English language proficiency scores like IELTS, TOEFL, etc. along with a Statement of Purpose and Letters of Recommendation.
Also Read: SOP for Journalism and Mass Communication
Top Universities for Journalism Courses After 12th
As much as it is important to choose the right bachelor’s degree program after 12th, you must also select the right university you will be pursuing your undergraduate degree to gain the best exposure and knowledge in your field of interest.
Here are the top colleges and universities in India for Journalism courses after 12th:
- University of Delhi
- Indian Institute of Mass Communication
- Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, GGSIPU, Delhi
- Symbiosis Institute of Media and Communications, Pune
- St. Xavier’s Institute, Mumbai
- Asian College of Journalism, Chennai
- Xavier Institute of Communication, Mumbai
- Indian Institute of Journalism and New Media, Bangalore
Take a look at the following list of top universities abroad you must consider for pursuing Journalism courses after the 12th:
|Name of University
|QS World University Ranking 2023
|University of South Wales
|University of Pennsylvania
|Birmingham City University
|London Metropolitan University
|University of Derby
|University of Kent
|Rey Juan Carlos University
Top Diploma Courses in Journalism after 12th
Diploma Courses in Journalism
- Diploma in Journalism
- Diploma in Creative Multimedia and Journalism
- Diploma in Creative Media Production (Broadcast Journalism)
- Diploma in Documentary Photography
- Diploma in Photojournalism
Top Masters Degree Journalism Courses after 12th
Here are the most popular journalism courses after graduation:
- MA in Mass Communication and Journalism
- Masters/MA in Journalism
- Masters in Photojournalism
- PG Diploma in Journalism and Mass Communication
- MA in Multimedia
- PG Diploma in Radio and TV Production
- Masters in Communication
Career Prospects in Journalism
Completing a course in Journalism, you will be equipped with the essentials of how various forms of mass media work as well as the intricacies of reporting, broadcast production, radio production as well as filmmaking. After concluding any of the aforementioned journalism courses after 12th, graduates can choose from a varied range of fields like TV production, News production, Filmmaking, Photojournalism, Sports Journalism etc. Here are the key career opportunities in Journalism and Media:
- News Reporter
- TV Correspondent/Special Reporter
- Feature Writer
- Channel Producer
- Radio Jockey
- Documentary Filmmaker
- Public Relations Associate
Related Read: Travel and Tourism Courses After 12th
Graduating with a degree in Journalism or Mass Communication, freshers can aim for an average salary of 2 Lakhs to 4 Lakhs per annum in India and with more experience, you can explore higher-level opportunities in media and earn over 5 Lakhs per annum.
BA Journalism and Mass Communication and Journalism are some of the best courses for journalism after 12th.
Yes, you can take journalism after 12th. Pursue Journalism courses such as Bachelors in Journalism.
Yes, journalism is a good and versatile career.
While we have given you all the information for pursuing journalism courses after 12th, we understand that you may be apprehensive about a career path. It might be tricky to choose the best college and course for yourself but with the assistance of the counsellors at Leverage Edu, you can undertake the psychometric and brainstorming sessions that will help you in coming to an informed decision about your career.