An Air Hostess or flight attendant or cabin crew is typically a member of an aircrew employed by airlines primarily to ensure the comfort and safety of passengers aboard airline flights, commercial flights, business jet craft, or military aircraft. To understand how to become an Air Hostess, it is essential to familiarise yourself with their responsibilities during a flight. If you are exploring a career in aviation, then you have come to the right place. Here is a complete guide on pursuing your career as an Air Hostess, training institutes and courses, fees, salary, requirements, qualifications to become an Air Hostess, and more.
|Educational Qualifications||10+2 with a degree in Hospitality or Cabin Crew Training|
|Entrance Exam||Merit-based admission/AIAEE, NCHMCT JEE, AEEE (for some universities)|
|Skills||Communication skills, Detail-oriented, Problem-solving, Professionalism|
|Age Limit||18-26 years|
|Minimum Height||5′ to 5’2”|
|Salary||₹5 Lakhs per annum|
|Air Hostess Institutes in India||Frankfinn Institute of Air Hostess Training, Pacific Airways, Indira Gandhi Institute of Aeronautics (IGIA), Universal Aviation Academy|
Must Read: How to Become a Pilot After 12th?
This Blog Includes:
- How to Become an Air Hostess
- What Does an Air Hostess Do
- Types of Air Hostess
- What Qualifications Do You Need to Become a Air Hostess?
- How to Become an Air Hostess After 10th
- How to Become an Air Hostess after the 12th?
- Air Hostess Entrance Exams
- Air Hostess Courses in India
- Skills Required to Become an Air Hostess
- Selection Process
- How to Become Air Hostess in India
- How to become Air Hostess Abroad
- Air Hostess Training Courses
- Salary of an Air Hostess
- Perks of an Air Hostess
- Key Roles and Responsibilities of an Air Hostess
- Top Recruiters
How to Become an Air Hostess
Aspirants can choose from three different career paths. Let’s take a look at them:
- Pursue air hostess training right after the 12th and apply for a job
- Complete Graduation, undergo training, and then apply for a job
- Complete Graduation (relevant) and then directly apply for a job
Note: Airlines typically hire air hostesses based on their skills and aptitude. A written test and a series of interviews are typically used in the selection process.
What Does an Air Hostess Do
- Throughout the whole takeoff and landing process, an Air Hostess is responsible for several tasks. Below is a list of some of the main responsibilities of an Air Hostess for your information.
- The primary responsibility of an air hostess is to make sure that everyone on board is safe, secure, and comfortable. Before takeoff, Air Hostesses go over numerous safety procedures.
- The passengers must be informed about the tentative descent and deplaning procedure by the air hostesses. The passengers are kept seated throughout takeoff and landing by air hostesses.
- Along with other pre-flight duties, Air Hostesses are responsible for inspecting and verifying the functionality of all safety equipment. During a deplaning procedure, Air Hostesses are in charge of a comprehensive check-up, so that passengers do not leave behind any expensive belongings.
Types of Air Hostess
Although it might be demanding, a career as an air hostess gives many opportunities to travel. After earning your bachelor’s degree, professional certification can help you launch your career as an Air Hostess. The following list includes some of the main categories for Air Hostess.
- Flight Attendants: They demonstrate the use of safety and emergency procedures while flying and look out for the safety of the passengers.
- During short-haul and long-haul flights, cabin staff is in charge of providing comfort, safety, and support to passengers.
- Ground Staff: Ground Staff are responsible for attending to the needs of passengers before, following, and during flights. They are also responsible for answering questions from passengers, providing information on the aircraft, and making sure they have no problems while in flight.
- A sky marshal is an oppressor expert with secret legal permission or counter-fear background who flies aboard commercial jets to prevent hijackings.
What Qualifications Do You Need to Become a Air Hostess?
Here are the major qualifications to become an Air Hostess in India:
- To become an air hostess, you should have completed 10+2 or equivalent from an accredited institution.
- The candidates who haven’t completed their high school are required to go for a GED test, i.e. General Educational Development Test.
- The candidate with a degree in Hospitality, Travel, and Tourism are given preference.
- Basic computer skills and math competency can be highly beneficial.
- Good command of the English language and a knowledge of an international language is an added advantage.
- The candidate must clear a 3 to 6 weeks training program at the base location confined to the particular airline.
- The completion of the formal training program allows you to gain a certification and license from an authorized body regulating all aspects of civil aviation in a particular country like the FAA (The Federal Aviation Administration) in the US.
Physical and Medical Requirements
There is a standard eligibility criterion that you need to fulfill in order to become an Air Hostess. Here are the major physical requirements that airlines require:
- The minimum age to become an air hostess is generally 18 or 21 years.
- The minimum height of the candidate should be 5’ – 5’2”.
- Your body weight should be in proportion to your height.
- There should not be any visible marks, tattoos, or body piercings.
- The candidate should be able to carry beverage or meal carts and lift emergency window exits and open emergency doors.
- No mental illness record.
- A vision test is mandatory to check that the candidate’s far and near vision is at least 20/40 with glasses or contact lenses.
- A hearing test with no loss on audiometry in better ear greater than 40 dB when losses at 500 or 100 or 2000 Hz are averaged.
- The candidate must pass DOT fingerprinting and drug screening test.
How to Become an Air Hostess After 10th
- Any course at the senior secondary level must be taken to become an Air Hostess.
- Start preparing for entrance tests like AIAEE, NCHMCT JEE, AEEE, etc. after graduating from high school while still enrolled in senior secondary studies (10+2) to gain admission to a prestigious aviation institution.
- After passing the Class 12th Board examinations, students have the option of continuing their education with a Diploma in Aviation Courses. Having stated that, the airline companies prefer to hire students with a diploma or undergraduate degree in hospitality or aviation for diverse positions as air hostess.
How to Become an Air Hostess after the 12th?
To become an Air Hostess after the 12th, you need to apply directly to the aviation training institute as the basic qualification from a recognized board. Here are the top training institutes to pursue aviation training that provides proper qualifications:
- Pacific Airways
- Frankfinn Institute of Air Hostess Training
- Optima Air Hostess Academy
- Livewell Academy
- PTC- Aviation Academy
- Indira Gandhi Institute of Aeronautics (IGIA)
- Universal Aviation Academy (UAA)
When it comes to entrance tests, you might be required to clear a written test and interview round to pursue Air Hostess training at these academies and institutes in India.
We have listed below the major universities and colleges providing cabin crew training programs across the globe to help you further in your research on how to become an Air Hostess:
- Glendale Community College
- Moraine Valley Community College
- Community College of Baltimore County
- Gwinnett Technical College
- Orange Coast College
- Ball State University
- Liberty University
- International Air and Hospitality Academy
Check Out: MBA in Airport Management
Air Hostess Entrance Exams
|Entrance Exams||Registration Dates||Registration Deadlines||Exam Dates||Result Dates|
|LPUNEST||March 10, 2022||May 10, 2022||May 15- May 31, 2022||June 6, 2022|
|JUEE||February 2022||April 2022||May/June/ July 2022||To be Notified|
|DU JAT||First Week of June 2022||Third Week of June 2022||The first week of July 2022||The third week of July 2022|
|IPU CAT||March 4, 2022||May 31, 2022||The third week of June 2022||First Week of July 2022|
|CAT||1st week of August 2022||2nd Week of August 2022||4th Week of November 2022||1st Week of December 2022|
|XAT||First Week of August 2022||The first week of December 2022||January 1, 2023||Third Week of January 2023|
Air Hostess Courses in India
The following are some of the air hostess courses you may take.
|Certificate Course||Diploma Course||Degree Courses||Post Graduate Courses|
|International Air Cargo||Diploma in Airlines Management||BBA(Aviation)||PG Diploma in Airport Ground Services|
|Air Hostess Management||Diploma in Air hostess Training||Bachelor of Hospitality and Travel Management||PG Diploma in Aviation and Hospitality Services|
|Airport Ground Management||Diploma in Air Cargo Practices and Documentation||Bachelor of Travel and Tourism Management||MBA (Aviation)|
|Air Hostess Training||Diploma in Aviation and Hospitality Management||Bachelor of Science (Air hostess training)||PG Diploma in Hospitality, Aviation, Travel, and Customer Service|
|Air Ticketing and Tourism||Diploma in Airlines and Travel Management||Bachelor of Science (Aviation)|
Recommended Read: Aviation Courses After Graduation
Skills Required to Become an Air Hostess
Customer service is an integral part to succeed as an Air Hostess and requires a specific set of skills to carry out a variety of tasks under severe pressure. The idea is not only about knowing how to become an Air Hostess but to grasp the skills needed to fit into the job requirements.
Here is a list of skills, qualifications, and capabilities required to become an Air Hostess.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Detail-oriented and organized to work in a team.
- Empathetic behavior toward the elderly, children, and sick passengers.
- Calm and composed demeanor during stressful situations and emergencies like air turbulence, mechanical problems, etc to ensure that passengers are following safety procedures.
- Problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work with culturally diverse groups.
- Good physical conditions to handle erratic schedules like longer shifts, hefty tasks, etc.
- Quick thinking and good memory for working in a fast-paced and tight-spaced environment.
Here is a detailed step-by-step procedure and qualifications you need to follow to become an air hostess:
- Pursue Air Hostess training at a recognized cabin crew training institute or academy.
- Thoroughly research the airline you are interested in working with and look up their destinations.
- Read the career page of the airline’s website to understand more about the recruitment process and eligibility requirements.
- Ensure that your passport is up to date at least 12 months before expiry.
- Be clear that you don’t have visa restrictions in any country.
- Having a minimum of 2 years of experience in a frontline job or customer-facing role is an added advantage.
- You should know where to apply and keep more available options.
- If you are shortlisted, then you will have to travel to the assigned venue for a face-to-face interview and GD.
- Moreover, there will be a clear drug test and background check.
- Qualifying the interview, you will get your entry ticket into your chosen training institute.
How to Become Air Hostess in India
In India, being an Air Hostess is a difficult task. Candidates who want to pursue this job should prepare their minds to deal with challenges and begin studying after finishing secondary school (10th). Following that, students must select the appropriate topics, prepare for graduation, and then enroll in an Air Hostess Training Diploma program.
- Any topic at the senior secondary level is required to become an Air Hostess.
- While attending your senior secondary studies (10+2), begin preparing for entrance tests such as AIAEE, NCHMCT JEE, AEEE, and others to get admission to a top aviation institution.
How to become Air Hostess Abroad
One of the most sought-after occupations is taking an aviation course overseas to become an air hostess. If you work as an Air Hostess, you won’t have to worry about your future. The program’s difficulty level is identical to what it is in India. To be eligible to study abroad and become an Air Hostess, one must first pass one of the language proficiency examinations, such as the TOEFL or IELTS, before applying to any of the overseas institutions.
Air Hostess Training Courses
Here are the top Air Hostess training courses offered in India and abroad:
Diplomas in Air Hostess Training (1 year)
- Diploma in Air Hostess Training
- Diploma in Cabin Crew or Flight Attendant Training
- Diploma in Aviation and Hospitality Management
- Diploma in Hospitality and Travel Management
- PGDM in Aviation and Hospitality Services
- PGDM in Airport Ground Services
- PGDM in Aviation, Hospitality, Travel & Customer Service
Certificate Courses (3 to 6 to 12 months)
- Air Hostess Management
- Air Hostess Training
- Cabin Crew or Flight Attendant
- Airlines Hospitality
- Aviation Management and Hospitality
- Flight Purser (certification)
- Aviation Customer Service (certification)
- Airlines Hospitality (certification)
- Hospitality and Air travel Management (certification)
- Airline Passenger Service (certification)
Degree Programs in Aviation (2-3 years)
- BBA in Aviation
- B.Sc. in Air Hostess Training
- Bachelor of Travel and Tourism Management
- Bachelor of Hospitality and Travel Management
- Degree in International Airline and Travel Management
- BBA in Airport Management
- MBA in Aviation
- BSc Aviation
- MBA in Aviation Management
Salary of an Air Hostess
As an air hostess, your salary will largely depend on the airline you are working with. On an average, air hostesses earn somewhere around 25,000 INR – 40,000 monthly [indicative] while the salary package for senior positions can be even higher upto 50,000 INR-75000 INR [indicative] for those working with domestic airlines. Further, private airlines offer high-salaried packages somewhere up to 2 Lakh to 3 Lakh per month [indicative].
Must Read: Air Ticketing Courses
Perks of an Air Hostess
You should know that this job profession is characterised with a fair share of dedication, rewards and commitments. It is more than a simple quest around the globe.
- A career as a flight attendant offers an opportunity to earn and explore beautiful places in the world.
- While you’re on-board you will get an opportunity to interact with a wide range of people with different professions, nationality or language. As an Air Hostess, it will help you build industry-specific contacts.
- Along with a discount on your personal tours, you will definitely get an exclusive discount on travel and tickets when planning a trip with your family.
- Airline companies also provide free medical benefits or insurance to employees
- Moreover, cabin crews are paid well along with other benefits like allowances for daily meals and affiliated hotels during layovers, transportation for work trips, gratuity, retirement benefits, amongst others.
Want to know more? Here’s a complete guide on How to Make A Surefire Career in Aviation!
Key Roles and Responsibilities of an Air Hostess
Below is a list of several tasks assigned to Air Hostesses during a flight:
- Ensure the Comfort and Safety of Passengers: They oversee passenger requests, serve food and beverages and comfort sick passengers. Moreover, they have to review emergency and safety procedures prior to take-off in order to ensure safety in the flight.
- Assist Passengers in Deplaning: It is the duty of a flight attendant to ensure that passengers are safely in their seats as the plane descends and all loose objects or garbage has been removed and secured. Once the plane lands, they help passengers with their luggage and direct them to depart the plane.
- Conduct Pre as well as Post-Flight Checks: Pre-flight check involves testing of safety equipment to ensure that it is in working condition and post-flight checks ensure that passenger items have been removed and seats and trays are placed properly. Other than this, they might do some light cleaning on the interior of the plane as well.
Check Out: Airport Management Courses
Some of the well known and famous recruiters in Aviation are mentioned below:
- Virgin Atlantic
- Air India
- Air Asia
- Emirates Airlines
- Qatar Airways
- British Airways
- Cathay Pacific
Check Out: Commercial Pilot Courses
For admission to the air hostess programme, some of the nation’s top colleges and universities hold entrance exams such as the AIAEE, NCHMCT JEE, and AEEE. Some private institutes also offer direct admission based on a student’s performance in their 10+2 board exams.
Experienced air cabin crew can expect to earn a base salary of £15,000 to £18,000 per year. The starting salary for senior cabin crew, which can be attained after a few years, is around £20,000. You can supplement your base rate with an hourly flight rate, in-flight commission on sales, and performance bonuses.
However, regardless of how many perks you have in the job, it does necessitate a lot of hard work. An air hostess must always be available to assist passengers, pilots, and other crew members. She is in charge of the passengers’ safety and well-being during the flight.
Air hostesses will be allowed to marry if they have completed four years of service and are not allowed to get or become pregnant. A proposal was recently presented to the board of directors of Air-India and Indian Airlines to allow the girls to combine their flying careers with matrimony.
In the case of an air hostess, the current retirement age is 50. After that, they are free to work on the ground. Unfortunately, this age restriction does not apply to male cabin crew, who can continue to work as flight stewards until retirement.
Air hostesses are provided with company benefits such as health insurance, life insurance, and a pension plan. They are also entitled to paid sick leave and vacation time.
Many don’t know but even men can apply for the position. However, their position is known as flight stewards and not air hostess.
With the enormous growth in the aviation industry, it is highly beneficial to know how to become an Air Hostess in order to familiarise yourself with the essentials of this career in the Airline industry. Leverage Edu mentors can help you select an ideal training program that will equip you with the essential skills for building a flying career in Aviation. For more entertaining and informative content, follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn.