“It is possible to fly without motors, but not without knowledge and skill.” This quote by Wilbur Wright, one of the inventors of Aeroplanes, very well explains the importance of skills for a career in Aviation. But how can someone interested in exploring the limitless sky attain these skills? The only way to do it is to sign up for Aviation courses and become a pilot. Do you know there are more than 6 types of Pilot licenses and the most popular one in the list is for Commercial pilots? Commercial pilots are trained professionals who are skilled in flying aircraft for purposes like transporting cargo or passengers.
It is one of the most designated jobs in the aviation industry, hence the majority of youth dream of becoming one. Are you thrilled while picturising yourself as a commercial pilot flying over those dense oceans and snowy mountains? If yes, then this blog aims to answer all your queries regarding how to become a commercial pilot.
Who is a Commercial Pilot?
A Commercial Pilot has a licensing authority that ultimately allows him or her to fly a particular type of aircraft for an airline and get remunerated for it. Majorly commercial pilots fly for airlines which aim to transport either cargo or passengers. It is not mandatory for a commercial pilot to be associated with a specific airline, as they can also be legally hired to fly. Being a commercial pilot also gives you an opportunity to be hired for charter flights, firefighting, rescue operations, aerial photography etc. It is also regarded as one of the most reputable pilot jobs and is very distinct in its nature with respect to other job profiles like Fighter Pilot, Charter Pilot etc.
How to Become a Pilot After 12th
Roles and Responsibilities
If you are wondering about how to become a Commercial Pilot, you must begin by exploring what their actual job responsibilities are. Generally, common aircraft have two pilots as part of the cockpit crew. The senior pilot or the airline pilot is assisted by a commercial pilot. Both pilots together share different duties like monitoring instruments, interacting with the air traffic controllers, steering the plane etc. while flying the aircraft. Apart from these, here are some of the other major responsibilities of a commercial pilot:
- Ensuring that the weight of the aircraft is appropriate after the loading of cargoes
- Having a check on flight schedules, weather conditions as well as the fuel of the aircraft
- Prior to flying, cross-check the engine hydraulics and other significant systems of the aircraft
- Managing the control of the aircraft while takeoff and landing
- Handling the controls, starting the engines and taking control of the steering of the aircraft to fly it along the planned routes
For any career you choose, it is essential to have the required skill set as demanded by the course or training. Once you align with the required set of skills, you are all set to excel in the field. Here are some of the core requirements for being a commercial pilot:
- Advanced technical skills
- Scepticism and quick decision-making abilities
- A disciplined personality
- Physical and mental fitness
- Good communication skills
Also Read: Commercial Pilot Courses
How to Become a Commercial Pilot?
The first step towards building a career as a commercial pilot would be gaining adequate educational qualifications. There are scores of options available for commercial pilot courses both in India and abroad that aim to carve the passion of flying into a reputable profession. Tabulated below are some of the popular courses enrolling in which you can find an answer to the question – how to become a commercial pilot?
|Commercial Pilot Courses Abroad||Commercial Pilot Courses in India|
|Diploma of Aviation Commercial Pilot Licence Aeroplane
Commercial Pilot Licence
Diploma in Pilot Training in the Commercial Pilot Licence
B.S. in Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems Integrated
CPL Aviation Engineering with Pilot MEng
CAE Woman in Flight Scholarship Program
|Pilot Training Commercial Pilot Licence Training CPL
Commercial Pilot Licence Private Pilot Licence Training
The Professional Indian Airline Program
Commercial Pilots Licence Ground Training
Aviation Courses After Graduation
For those aspiring to enter the above-mentioned courses, it is necessary to meet up with the eligibility criteria. Students must know that the requirements for becoming a commercial pilot are different in India and abroad. Let us take a detailed look at what it takes to enrol on a commercial pilot course in countries abroad:
- It is necessary for candidates to have a class 1 medical certificate
- Eyesight or vision as per demand or vision that is correctable up to 20/20
- Must match the minimum age criteria (at least 18) required and have all the medical documents approved by the aeromedical centre of the chosen country
- A good score in IELTS or TOEFL or any other accepted English test proving your proficiency in the English language along with a LOR and SOP
If you wish to pursue this course in India, you may keep in mind the following requirements:
- Candidates must have qualified class 12th with at least 50% marks in aggregate and have studied the relevant subjects like Mathematics, Physics etc. as their core subjects
- Candidates must be of at least 18 years of age
- It is mandatory to qualify for the required entrance exam conducted by the particular universities
- Applicants must meet up with the standards set in the DGCA medical examination
Are you all set to apply for the above-mentioned courses and end all your queries regarding how to become a commercial pilot? Then, here are some of the universities offering them:
|Universities Abroad||Universities in India|
|University of Central Missouri
CAE Oxford Aviation Academy
New Zealand Aviation
Bruce Hartwig Flying School
Ardmore Flying School
Flight Safety Academy Liberty University Miami Dade College Singapore Flying College
Pan AM International Flying Academy
Southeastern Oklahoma State University
|Rajiv Gandhi Academy of Aviation Technology
Indira Gandhi Rashtriya Uran Academy
Bombay Flying Club
National Flying Training Institute
Madhya Pradesh Flying Club
Ahmedabad Aviation and Aeronautics Limited
Indigo Cadet Training Program
CAE Oxford Aviation Academy
Note: The requirements regarding physical fitness as well as eyesight may differ from one flying school to another. Thus, candidates are required to contact Leverage Edu experts to know the exact details.
Whether you attain the required education to become a commercial pilot in India or abroad, it is essential to earn a certified licence before you get associated with any airline or private organisation to fly an aircraft. If you have pursued the course or training from India then you can get your licence if you satisfy the following criteria:
- Qualified for the oral as well as written test conducted by the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA)
- It is mandatory for candidates to have at least 250 flying hours
For the students who have pursued their course abroad, the required criteria for getting a license include the following:
- Candidates must qualify for the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) practical test
- It is compulsory to have at least 250 hours of flying
To begin training, the candidate must be at least 17 years old. A minimum of 50% in 10+2 is required, which varies depending on the institute. MPC disciplines (Mathematics, Physics, and Chemistry) as well as English at an intermediate level are required.
It is both difficult and costly training. A pilot’s job will need a lot of travel. There are numerous colleges in India that provide this instruction. In India, there are about 200 aviation colleges that offer various types of aviation instruction, including pilot training courses.
Candidates for the pilot training course must have a 10+2 in science with a minimum of 50% marks. Mathematics and physics are required disciplines for candidates interested in pursuing a career in aviation.
Thus, we hope that through this blog on how to become a commercial pilot, we have resolved all your queries regarding the same. Are you all prepared to fly high? If yes, then reach out to our experts at Leverage Edu and they will guide you in selecting the best flying school. Sign up for a free counselling session with us!
12वी सायन्स नंतर काय करू दे?
12वी सायन्स नंतर काय करू दे?
Hi Shubham! Check out these blogs-