From working on cruise ships and hotel chains to working for aircraft and fast food joints, the scope of a career in Hotel Management is wide-ranging and ever-evolving. Hotel Management Jobs are no longer restricted to a specific area. They span across an array of industries like Aviation, Railways, Tourism, Event Management, Catering, and Marketing. Further, there has been a huge rise in enrolment during the past few decades across all Hotel Management courses. A typical Hotel Management program imparts knowledge in an array of topics like Food Production, Housekeeping, Food & Beverage Service, Safety & First aid, Food Science & Nutrition, Communication, Computer basics, and Hotel Economics. The curriculum of diploma, bachelor’s and master’s program are designed to equip students with practical and on-the-job training. It is mandatory to complete a full-fledged, long-term, hotel assignment during the latter part of the degree program. In this blog, we will discuss the most sought-after Hotel Management jobs, major employers, and the skills required to build a strong career in this field.
This Blog Includes:
- Popular Hotel Management Courses
- Top Industries and Popular Employers
- Major Hotel Management Jobs
- Average Salary Packages & Remuneration
- Top Universities for Hotel Management Abroad
- Top Colleges for Hotel Management in India
A Hotel Management graduate can start out as an Assistant or Junior Officer in various industries and can gradually progress towards managerial roles. After a few years of industry experience, you can also venture into senior management roles by pursuing an MBA degree in areas fields like Human Resource Development, or a Masters in Mass Communication.
Our Top Read: Best Hotel Management Colleges in the World
Popular Hotel Management Courses
Before elaborating on the different Hotel Management jobs, let’s take a look at the top courses and programmes offered at diploma, bachelor’s and master’s level in this field.
- Diploma in Hospitality- Hotel Operations Management
- Diploma in Hotel & Tourism Programme
- Diploma in International Tourism & Hotel Management
- Bachelor of Hotel Management
- Bachelor of Hotel and Event Management
- Bachelor of International Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Business (International Hotel and Resort Management)
- Bachelor of Commerce in Hotel and Tourism Management
- Bachelor of Business – International Hotel Management
- MBA in Hotel Management
- Master of Tourism, Hotel, and Event Management – Hotel Management
- Master of Philosophy (MPhil) in Tourism, Sport and Hotel Management (MPHILTHS)
- MBA in International Hotel Management
- Master of International Tourism and Hotel Management
- Postgraduate Diploma in Hotel and Resort Management
- Postgraduate Diploma in International Hotel & Design Management
Check out our exclusive blog on Hotel Management courses after 12th!
Top Industries and Popular Employers
Below is a list of the different industries and areas where you can explore a plethora of Hotel Management Jobs:
- Hotel Chains
- Educational Institutions
- Fast food and Boutique Outlets
- Entertainment and Media
- Exhibition Centres
- Public Houses/Clubs
- Government Authorities
- Travel and Tourism Management
- Airport Management
- Hospitality Management
Top Companies in Hotel Management Jobs
- Hyatt Hotels Corporation
- ITC Hotels
- Mahindra Hotels and Resorts
- HLV Ltd (Hotel Leela Venture)
- InterContinental Hotels Group
- Marriott International India Pvt Ltd
- Radisson Blu Hotels
- Shangri La Hotels & Resorts
- Taj Hotels,Resorts & Palaces
- The Lalit Hotels
- The Oberoi Group
- The Park Hotels
- Oyo Rooms
- Zostels India
Skills Required for Hotel Management Jobs
The Hotel Management industry requires you to possess a few essential skills that can be beneficial for the industry. A calm mindset to handle arduous situations, the capability to lead a team and commitment towards ensuring client satisfaction are some of the key traits needed in the Hotel Management Jobs. Here is a list of a few more skills:
- Good Written and Verbal Communication Skills
- Excellent Negotiation and Problem-solving Abilities
- Strong Temperament
- Personnel Management and Leadership skills
- Familiarity with IT and Computer skills
- Financial Literacy
Hotel Management Job Resume Format
Writing a stellar resume is the most important aspect of seeking a job in hotel management. The industry values skills like communication, conflict resolution, problem-solving abilities, leadership qualities and negotiation. A resume is a way to convey to your employer your worth and how well you and your experience will add value to the company. Thus, here is a sample resume format that you can follow to create a comprehensive profile!
Major Hotel Management Jobs
Given below is a list of some of the most opted-for Hotel Management Jobs spanning across various industries:
The job of a restaurant manager is multi-faceted and involves complete management of the restaurant. The primary responsibilities include analyzing sales and profits, marketing and promotion, planning menus, material procurement and above all, customer satisfaction.
Must Read: Hotel Management Subjects
As a catering manager, you can work in schools, factories, hospitals, hotel chains, lodgings, etc. Much like the job profile of a restaurant manager, catering manager is responsible to maintain the quality of the firm’s products and services, team organization, menu design and alteration, payroll management, and customer satisfaction. Some senior roles also involve overseeing 1000+ staff organizations.
Must Read: Eligibility for Hotel Management in Canada
Hotel Assistant or Manager
Generally offered at an entry-level or mid-senior level, the hotel assistants or manager are amongst the most common Hotel Management Jobs offered across various industries. From reception and concierge to reservations and housekeeping, you will be in charge of partial or complete hotel services.
Club, Hall, and Public House Managers
Public places like banquet halls and clubs require professionals who can manage a plethora of responsibilities like catering and operations, general guest service, maintaining health and safety, running promotional campaigns, recruiting employees, and a host of other tasks.
Check Out: Career in Luxury Brand Management
Event Management is one of the most common Hotel Management Jobs which also offers a lucrative salary. Even with a few years of experience, you can switch to event management and work in areas like Sports-related events, Entertainment industries, Corporate or Business sectors, Charities, Universities, etc. The primary job responsibilities of an Event Planner include: managing the entire event, looking after event logistics, catering arrangement, client servicing, regulatory compliance, etc.
Explore the Top Event Management Courses!
Alternate Hotel Management Jobs
Apart from the abovementioned Hotel Management Jobs, you can also consider the following career paths:
- Fast Food Restaurant Manager
- Air Cabin Crew
- Tourism Officer or Manager
- Human Resource Manager
- Customer Service Manager
Average Salary Packages & Remuneration
The salary packages and remuneration in the hotel management industry will generally depend on whether the student has completed a full-fledged degree programme or a diploma as well as the skills, experience and familiarisation with the particular field they are opting for. Further, the estimated remuneration for entry-level positions in hotel chains can somewhere range from 15000-20,000 INR per month and can vary as per the organisation and the candidate’s qualifications, skills and other factors. Moreover, the salary of a hotel manager can be somewhere around 4 lakhs as per Payscale data.
Also Read: Jobs in Travel and Tourism
Top Universities for Hotel Management Abroad
- EHL – Ecole hôtelière de Lausanne
- University of Nevada – Las Vegas
- Cornell University
- Bournemouth University
- SHMS – Swiss Hotel Management School
- University of Surrey
- Glion Institute of Higher Education
- The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
Top Colleges for Hotel Management in India
- Institute of Hotel Management, Delhi
- Institute of Hotel Management, Mumbai
- Welcome Group School of Hotel Administration, Manipal
- Banarsidas Chandiwala Institute of Hotel Management and Catering Technology, Delhi
- Army Institute of Hotel Management and Catering Technology, Bangalore
Hotel Management is a great career option for all those who are interested in entering the hospitality field. One can become a Hotel Manager, Chef, Event Manager or start your own business just after completing the degree.
Hotel Management courses are of different types, ranging from short term certificate or diploma courses to full-time bachelor courses. Thus there is a great amount of difference in Hotel Management jobs.
Event Managers or Hotel Managers receive highest salaries in the entire Hospitality industry. Chef come at second position in terms of salaries in this field.
No, Maths is not required to study Hotel Management. One needs a good English speaking skills to make a career in this field.
Most of the universities prefer candidates between 18-25 years of age for a bachelor’s degree program. Whereas, there is no age limit for diploma or certificate courses.
Thus, there is an array of Hotel Management jobs available across several industries. If you want to pursue a career in Hotel Management but are not sure about which university to enrol in, you can always get in touch with our Leverage Edu experts and we’ll guide throughout the process from selecting the right university to getting you successfully shortlisted.