Great view, luxurious stay, pool in the hotel, a grand room with cozy mattresses, scrumptious food, and top-notch services is what we expect when we book a hotel for a vacation. And to make our stay more comfortable and worth remembering, the Hotel Management staff puts in the efforts! With globalisation and the advent of new technologies, the Travel and Tourism Management industry, particularly Hotel Management, has become one of the fastest-growing sectors offering scores of employment opportunities with lucrative salaries. Thus, Hotel Management courses after 12th have become extremely popular amongst students. Check out this blog to know everything that a career in Hotel Management entails!
This Blog Includes:
How is Hotel Management as a Career?
Structured courses, diverse syllabus, state of the art infrastructure, and opportunities to gain international exposure, pursuing a career in Hotel Management abroad comes with its own set of perks and benefits. Enlisted are some of the key advantages of studying such courses abroad.
- Interacting with people belonging to different cultures and languages brings a new experience.
- With focus laid more on giving practical experience over theoretical knowledge, a wide range of universities abroad offers quality education through their Hotel Management courses.
- Being a global industry, you will get familiarised with the way Hotels are managed across continents.
- You will get innumerable industrial training opportunities through which you’ll also get equipped with hard and soft skills.
- All the above factors when clubbed together will help you build a strong network of professionals.
Skills Required for a Career in Hotel Management
Every job comes with its perks and with its responsibilities. However, to establish a flourishing career, you need to have professional competencies and attributes that can set your profile apart. Enlisted are some of the major skills which you should have in order to build a career in Hotel Management.
- Excellent communication skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Leadership skills
- Creativity and Originality
- Problem-solving attributes
- Good organizational skills
What are the Careers in Hotel Management?
The salary package after Hotel Management in India ranges from 2 Lakhs per annum up to 20 Lakhs per annum as the more experienced you get. Here are the most popular job opportunities for Hotel Management students:
|Job Opportunities in Hotel Management||Salary Package|
|General Manager||7 Lakhs to 14 Lakhs per annum|
|Event Manager||3 Lakhs to 6 Lakhs per annum|
|Front Office Manager||2 Lakhs to 5 Lakhs per annum|
|Chef||2 Lakhs to 6 Lakhs per annum|
|Bartender||1.5 Lakhs to 4 Lakhs per annum|
|Food and Beverage Manager||3 Lakhs to 6 Lakhs per annum|
|Executive Housekeeper||4 Lakhs to 9 Lakhs per annum|
Here are some of the most popular careers in hotel management:
- Tour Guide
- Air Ticketing Agent
- Executive Chef
- Cabin Crew
- Travel Agent
- Hotel Manager
- Rooms Division Manager
Government Jobs after Hotel Management
Are there in Government jobs in Hotel Management? There are various jobs in the public sector for Hotel Management. Here are the government jobs after Hotel Management:
- IRCTC Catering Supervisor/Manager
- Sports Authority of India Catering Manager
- Teaching Faculty at Hotel Management Institutes
- FSSAI Jobs
- Indian Navy Catering Services/Indian Navy Hospitality Services
- Hospitality Managers in Government Airlines
- Railway Catering
- Food Corporation of India (FCI)
- Army or Defence Catering
Hotel Management Courses after 12th
There are numerous diploma and full-fledged degree courses you can pursue to begin a successful career in hotel management after 12th. Here are the best hotel management courses after 12th:
- Bachelor of Hotel Management (BHM)
- Bachelor in Hotel Management and Catering Technology (BHMCT)
- BSc in Hospitality and Hotel Administration
- BA in Hotel Management
- BBA in Hospitality, Travel & Tourism
Diploma in Hotel Management Courses
- Diploma in Hotel Management
- Diploma in Hotel Management & Catering Technology
- Diploma in Hospitality Management
- Diploma in Housekeeping
- Diploma in Aviation Hospitality and Travel Management
Hotel Management Courses After Graduation
- Master of Hotel Management (MHM)
- Master in Tourism and Hotel Management (MTHM)
- MBA in Hotel Management
- MBA in Hospitality Management
- MSc Tourism and Hospitality Management
- MBA Hospitality
What is Hotel Management Course?
From housekeeping and front desk management to hiring human resources and handling finance, Hotel Management courses impart extensive knowledge on a wide range of subjects and train you for handling multiple responsibilities. Here are the most important Hotel Management subjects:
- Hospitality etiquettes
- Hotel housekeeping
- Event management
- Front office procedures
- Food & production services
- Menu planning and design
- Employee & Public Relations
- Hospitality property management
- Business Law
- Hotel Law
- Food and Beverage Production
- Marketing and Sales
- Hotel Economics & Statistics
- Project Management
- Hotel Financial Accounting
- Legal Frameworks
- Housekeeping Principles
- Practises and Principles of Management
- Environmental Science
- Allied Services
- Front Office Fundamentals
- Behavioural Science
Given below is the basic eligibility that is to be satisfied by the candidates willing to make a career in the Hotel Management:
- Depending upon the choice of course one can select a full-time undergraduate degree to a diploma or certificate course in the field. In both cases, you must have passed 10+2 with minimum marks as prescribed by the university.
- For universities abroad, a good percentile in English proficiency tests like IELTS/TOEFL/PTE, etc is required.
- For postgraduation courses abroad, like an MBA, you will also require 2-3 years of work experience.
- Most of the Indian universities conduct entrance examinations to select candidates for these courses.
- You must have a good command over the English language as communication is an essential part of the field.
Top Hotel Management Colleges in India
There are numerous colleges and institutes offering training and academic programs in Hotel Management in India. To help you choose the best one, we have enlisted the top hotel management colleges in India:
- Institute of Hotel Management, Catering and Nutrition, New Delhi
- Institute of Hotel Management, Bangalore
- Institute of Hotel Management, Catering Technology and Nutrition, Mumbai
- Banarasidas Chandiwala Institute of Hotel Management and Catering Technology, New Delhi
- Dr. Ambedkar Institute of Hotel Management and Nutrition, Chandigarh
- Army Institute of Hotel Management and Catering Technology, Bangalore
- Christ University, Bangalore
- DV Patil University, Navi Mumbai
Top Universities Abroad
Just like choosing a field of specialisation is important, studying a course from a university that offers industrial exposure, well-equipped infrastructure, top-notch faculty, and a diverse range of electives is also essential to build a successful career in Hotel Management. Here are some of the popular universities from where you can pursue Hotel Management courses.
|University/Institute||Hotel Management Courses|
|Ecole Hôtelière de Lausanne||BS in International Hospitality Management|
|Cornell University||BS in Hotel AdministrationMaster of Management in Hospitality|
|Griffith University||Master of International Tourism And Hospitality Management|
|University of Nevada||Dual MBA/MS in Hotel Administration|
|The University of Queensland||Bachelor of International Hotel and Tourism Management|
|The Chinese University of Hong Kong||MSc in Management of Real Estate|
|Les Roches International School of Hotel Management||MBA in Global Hospitality Management|
Note: This list is not exhaustive. It is advised to refer the university pages to explore more Hotel Management courses.
School of Hotel Administration (Cornell University)- New York
Cornell University has been pioneers of the hospitality industry for nearly a century since introducing hotel operations in 1922. Students work closely with professionals from the hospitality industry that allows them to apply their skills to various domains of hotel operations. Students have to do a minimum of one internship every year. It is one of the top Ivy League universities and also offers hospitality programmes
Ecole hôtelière de Lausanne (EHL)
Established in 1893 offers academic programs ranging from undergraduate to executive level qualifications. It is an ambassador for traditional Swiss hospitality. You will start with learning about the hospitality service fundamentals, followed by sessions on management competencies, and then move on to advanced managerial skills. It prepares young graduates to become the next generation of global leaders in the hospitality industry.
William F. Harrah College of Hotel Administration (University of Nevada)-Las Vegas, USA
Every year, Harrah Hotel College arranges hundreds of internships, connects mentors with students, and arranges recruitment events attended by a lot of national hospitality brands. It boasts a brand new, ultra-modern learning facility located just blocks away from the epicentre of the hospitality industry.
Glion Institute of Higher Education-Switzerland
The Glion Institute was founded to provide for the boom in the tourism industry alongside the dawn of the age of the major hotel chain. Glion offers hospitality management programs at undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate levels. The school considers applicants’ academic records, work experience, extracurricular activities, test scores and letters of recommendation before admission.
Oxford School of Hospitality Management (Oxford Brookes University) – United Kingdom
This department of Oxford Brookes University focuses on administrative and leadership training in hospitality contexts. The international student has access to a number of scholarships to assist with tuition fees and living costs. There are various opportunities throughout the curriculum to interact with senior industry professionals in the hospitality industry including Raymond Blanc OBE, Ken Hom OBE, Rick Stein OBE, Madhur Jaffrey CBE, etc.
From finance and security to food production, there are a lot of exciting job opportunities after graduating with a Hotel Management degree. Apart from restaurants and hotels, there are various other Hotel Management jobs for fresh graduates, some of them are listed below:
- Airline Catering
- Cruise Ship Hotel Management
- Hospital Administration & Catering
- Club Management
- Forest Lodges
- Hospitality services in various MNC’s
- Kitchen management
(catering food and managing kitchens in factories, schools, offices, colleges, etc.)
- Hotel & Tourism Association
- Self-employment / Entrepreneur
- Tour Manager
- Food Stylist
- Marriott International, Inc.
- Hyatt Hotels
- The Leela Palaces, Hotels & Resorts
- Accor Hostels
- Intercontinental Hotels & Resorts Group
- Hilton Worldwide
- Courtyard by Marriott
- Oberoi Group of Hotels
- The Taj Group of Hotels
- ITC Group of Hotels
Minimum qualification for pursuing a career in Hotel Management is 10+2 from a recognized board of education. For Pursuing bachelor courses in Hotel Management, the upper age limit candidates coming of General category is 25 years and for candidates of SC/ST/OBC categories, the upper age limit is 28 years. You can read our blog on Eligibility for Hotel Management in Canada to know about the admission process to study in Canada.
There are plenty of options you can pursue after completing Hotel Management. Some of these options include:
2. Hotel Manager
3. Event Manager
4. Guest Relations
5. Client Relations
6. Catering Manager
7. Accommodation Manager
A career in Hotel Management can be pursued in three ways – Diploma, Certificate, and Degree. The degree course is a three-year course. The certificate course can be of as short as six months and the diploma courses are of two years.
There are certain universities and institutes which provide scholarships to deserving candidates. Candidates are required to score 75% marks in graduation to be eligible for a scholarship. Candidates are required to submit proof of family income which should not be more than 2 lakhs per annum.
To pursue a career in Hotel Management candidates need to have certain professional training and experience. Most of the Hotel Management colleges and institutes provide 6 months of training in vocational centres, hotels, etc.
To pursue a career in Hotel Management, students can explore the options of an MBA in Hotel Management, Tourism, and Hospitality after the completion of Bachelors in Hotel Management.
Candidates with a Hotel Management degree earn varied salaries depending upon multiple factors. The average starting salary package of fresh graduates ranges from 28000 to 40000 USD per year.
Yes, opting for Hotel Management career will definitely turn out to be one of the best decision of your life. The course provides various job opportunities to students ranging from customer handling to desk jobs.
You can opt for one of the following courses after 12th in the field of Hotel Management – BHM (Bachelor of Hotel Management), BSc in Hospitality Management & Hotel Administration, Diploma in Front Office & Accommodation Management and BSc In Culinary Arts.
Apply now at the top Hotel Management schools in the world with the help of Leverage Edu and give the right start to your career.