With the progressing technology as well as the consecutive manpower, the need for professionals possessing both the technical knowledge as well as management skills is increasing. Therefore, the education sector is bringing newer and better courses that are more specific to the industrial needs and prepares students to juggle different kinds of responsibilities in the workplace. Engineering Management is one such course that helps you handle the different responsibilities of an engineer as well as a manager. This course is structured to combine leadership and management skills with financial awareness and technological skills. This combination differentiates itself from a traditional management course. While there are numerous places you can pursue this degree from, let’s discuss all the information about Engineering Management in Canada.
This Blog Includes:
What is Engineering Management?
Engineering Management is basically a specialised management course equips you with leadership skills for handling projects that are engineering or technical-based and manage different personnel working with you. It is structured to help engineers explore the field of management. Basically, the engineering managers are expected to be well-trained and experienced in general management as well as the specific engineering disciplines that will be used in the team they will be managing. A good engineering manager should be capable of mentoring, coaching and motivating different professionals working for a company. When it comes to Engineering Management in Canada, you can choose from a wide range of certificate, bachelor’s and master’s degree programs and get a globally accredited qualification in this sought-after specialisation!
Why Pursue Engineering Management in Canada?
Home to the world-renowned universities offering top-notch academic programs, Canada is one of the choicest destinations to study abroad! When it comes to an interdisciplinary specialisation field like Engineering Management, a wide range of universities offer a plethora of short-term and full-fledged degree programs for students to choose from. With affordable cost and great facilities, pursuing Engineering Management in Canada is worth your time and money. Here are the top benefits of pursuing Engineering Management in Canada:
- A host of options on offer for Engineering Management programs from certificate courses to master’s degree programs which are the most popular amongst international students.
- While pursuing Engineering Management in Canada, you will get to develop engineering and industrial skills, understanding how to create better strategies along with grasping the knowledge of management and business techniques and you can further gain global exposure by working with some of the top tech and business brands in Canada.
- If you are planning to study in Canada and want to stay in the country after completing graduation, there are ample prospects for full-time as well as part-time work during your study period. This might help you explore networking opportunities and get full-time employment if you decide to stay in Canada after the course.
Before moving forward with applying for Engineering Management in Canada, it is essential to familiarize yourself with the major admission prerequisites. Though the actual course requirements can vary as per the program and university, here are some general eligibility requirements for Engineering Management courses in Canada:
- For bachelor’s degree courses, the applicant must have completed 10+2 or equivalent qualifications from a recognized board and with the minimum scores specified under the course requirements.
- For master’s degree programs in Engineering Management in Canada, you must have graduated with a four-year bachelor’s degree program and if you have completed a three-year bachelor’s degree then you must also have an additional graduate diploma or master’s degree.
- GMAT/GRE scores are also required for master’s degree courses in Engineering Management.
- You will also have to submit language proficiency scores of IELTS/TOEFL/PTE, etc. along with a Statement of Purpose (SOP), Letters of Recommendation (LORs), an updated CV and resume.
Duration and Types of Engineering Management Courses in Canada
Canada offers a plethora of diploma and degree courses in Engineering Management. As it is an interdisciplinary specialisation, it is commonly offered at the master’s level but you can also find a handful of certificate and bachelor’s degree courses in Engineering Management as well. When it comes to Masters in Engineering Management in Canada, here are the major types of degree programs you can opt for:
- Master of Engineering (MEng) in Engineering Management
- MBA in Engineering Management
- Master of Science (MS) in Engineering Management
- Master of Applied Sciences (MASc) in Engineering Management
When it comes to the duration of Engineering Management courses, bachelor’s degree programs are generally 4-5 years long while master’s degree courses can be 1-2 years in duration.
Top Engineering Management Courses and Universities in Canada
There are numerous universities that offer Engineering Management in Canada. The eligibility criteria varies from one university to another. Providing good academic structure and a diverse cultural background, Canadian colleges and universities promise a good study experience and good exposure for global development. Here are the popular Engineering Management courses and universities in Canada:
|Centennial College||Certificate in Engineering Management||1 year|
|Sheridan College||Graduate Certificate in Quality Assurance Manufacturing and Management||1 year|
|University of Waterloo||Bachelor’s in Management Engineering||–|
|McMaster University||Bachelor of Engineering & Management||5 years|
|University of Alberta||Master of Engineering in Engineering Management||18 months|
|University of Windsor||Master of Engineering Management||24 months|
|University of Ottawa||Master of Engineering in Engineering Management||12 months|
|Ontario Tech University||Master of Engineering Management||24 months|
|Royal Military College of Canada||Master’s degree in Defence Engineering and Management||–|
|University of Regina||MBA in Engineering Management||2 years|
|Memorial University of Newfoundland||Masters of Applied Sciences in Engineering Management (MASc)||1.5 years|
We hope that this blog has given you all the essential information about Engineering Management in Canada. Being a course that blends the qualities of an engineer and a manager, this program is tailored for those who want to grasp both technical skills and leadership qualities. If you are confused about the application process for programs in Engineering Management in Canada, experts at Leverage Edu can lend you a helping hand to smoothly sail through the application process to sending applications and getting shortlisted.