Counted in the multicultural and developed countries, Canada has always emphasized mental health awareness and wellbeing for its citizens. Thus, the sector of Psychology in Canada is always in demand of trained psychologists and psychiatrists. The country is also home to many renowned universities offering Psychology courses in Canada at bachelor’s, master’s, diploma and doctorate level. Planning to study Psychology in Canada? Read this blog to know all about psychology courses in Canada, top colleges, fees and more!
Check Out: Study in Canada with Scholarship
Table of contents
Top Psychology Colleges in Canada
Here are the top psychology universities in Canada that you must check out:
|Universities||QS Ranking 2021||Courses Available|
|University of British Columbia||13||UG – 4, PG – 1, Doctorate – 1|
|University of Toronto||19||UG – 6, PG – 2, Doctorate – 2|
|McGill University||30||UG – 2, PG – 4, Doctorate – 2|
|University of Montreal||101-150||UG – 3, PG – 2, Doctorate – 4|
|Simon Fraser University||101-150||UG- 6, PG – 4, Doctorate – 3|
|McMaster University||151-200||UG – 1, PG- 2, Doctorate – 1|
|University of Alberta||151-200||UG- 4, PG-2 , Doctorate – 2|
|University of Ottawa||251-300||UG- 5, Doctorate – 2|
Must Read: Top Colleges in Canada
International students can choose from a wide range of psychology diplomas as well as bachelor’s and master’s level psychology courses in Canada. Here we have enlisted the best psychology courses in Canada after 12th, graduation and masters.
Psychology Courses in Canada after 12th
Mental health and its awareness and need have been increasing in Canada in recent years. Thus, the demand for psychologists and counsellors is also escalated making Bachelor’s level psychology courses popular. Here are the best Psychology courses in Canada after 12th:
|University of British Columbia||Bachelor of Arts in Psychology [4 year]|
|University of Toronto||Bachelor of Science in Psychology (Honours) [4 years]|
|McGill University||Bachelor of Science in Psychology [4 years]|
|York University||Bachelor of Science in Psychology (Honours) [4 years]|
|Queen’s University||Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Psychology [Major] [3 years]|
|University of Waterloo||Bachelor of Arts in Psychology [3 and 4 years]|
|University of Alberta||Bachelor of Science in Psychology [4 years]|
|Dalhousie University||Bachelor of Science in Psychology [4 years]|
|McMaster University||Bachelor of Arts in Psychology [4 years]|
|University of Victoria||Bachelor of Science in Psychology [4 years]|
Also Read: Scope of Psychology
Psychology Courses in Canada after Graduation
Here are the major types of Psychology courses in Canada after graduation:
- Masters in Psychology in Canada is both a full-time and part-time program, which is 1 to 2-years long. Some of the areas which are specialized in the master’s degree are Cognitive Science, Psychoanalysis, Clinical Psychology, Child Psychology, etc.
- MS in Psychology in Canada is of 3 types- course and research-based (MS Psychology), intensive research-based (Master of Science in Psychology) and professional course (Master of Applied Psychology).
- MSc in psychology is a research-intensive program, which includes courses along with the research area and a final thesis submission after 2 years. It focuses on Health, Developmental, Cognition, Perception and Neuroscience Psychology.
- MAP or Master in Applied Psychology in Canada acquires foundations in statistics, scientific methodology and related fields of Psychology that can be applied for research and evaluation. This includes studies in Social Psychology, Child Psychology & Applied Psychology.
Here are the top universities in Canada for psychology courses after graduation:
- University of British Columbia
- University of Toronto
- McGill University
- University of Waterloo
- Queen’s University
- McMaster University
- York University
- Dalhousie University
- University of Alberta
Psychology Courses in Canada after Masters
There are many PhD programs offered by universities in Canada that are also available that can be for 3 to 6 years. Here is the complete list of Psychology courses in Canada after Masters:
|University of British Columbia||Ph.D. Psychology|
|University of Toronto||Ph.D. Psychology
Ph.D. in School & Clinical Child Psychology
|McGill University||Ph.D. Counselling Psychology
Ph.D. in Child Psychology
|University of Montreal||Ph.D. Psychology
Ph.D. Research & Intervention in Clinical Psychology
|Simon Fraser University||Ph.D. in Educational Psychology
Ph.D. Organizational Behavior
|McMaster University||Ph.D. Cognitive Science of Language|
|University of Alberta||Ph.D. Psychiatry
Ph.D. Counselling Psychology
How Much Does it Cost to Study Psychology in Canada?
The average fees of Psychology courses in Canada ranges from 17,000 CAD to 60,000 CAD. Here are the fees for various types of psychology courses:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology: 20,000 CAD to 60,000 CAD
- Master’s Degree in Psychology: 10,000 CAD to 28,000 CAD
- PhD in Psychology: 7,000 CAD to 17,000 CAD
What are the Requirements to Study Psychology in Canada?
- For bachelors, students have to complete 10+2 exams from a recognised education board.
- For masters, students need a bachelor’s degree in psychology or equivalent programme from a recognised university to qualify for admissions at Canadian universities.
- All students whose first language isn’t English must produce scores of English language proficiency tests like IELTS, TOEFL, PTE etc to prove their merit.
- Recommendation letters and statement of purpose are also essential.
Hence, we hope that this blog has familiarized you with all the information you must know about Psychology courses in Canada. Our Leverage Edu mentors are here to help you find the best Psychology course and university as per your interests and aspirations with the help of our revolutionary and game-changing AI Course Finder! Sign up for a free session with us today!