Amongst the choicest options amongst the Engineering branches, Computer Engineering is a unique amalgamation of computer science as well as electrical engineering. It focuses on the study of the design and development of computing technologies as well as electronic devices. The field lays equal importance on the hardware as well as the software of electronic devices and computers to integrate smooth and flawless functioning. Being one of the popular degree courses after 12th science, Computer Engineering encompasses lucrative opportunities as soon as you obtain a degree in this field. For all those exploring the curriculum of the program, here is a blog elucidating on Computer Engineering subjects.
Quick Read: High Salary Courses After 12th Science
This Blog Includes:
- Eligibility for Computer Engineering
- Computer Engineering Subjects for Diploma, Bachelor’s & Master’s Level Courses
- For Diploma Courses in Computer Engineering
- For Bachelor’s Level Courses in Computer Engineering (BE, BTech, etc.)
- For Master’s Level Courses in Computer Engineering (ME, MTech, etc.)
- Engineering Mechanics
- Engineering Physics
- Programming and Data Structures
- Semiconductors Physics and Electronics
- Mathematics and Discrete Mathematics
- Artificial Intelligence
- Interactive Computer Graphics
- [Bonus] Computer Engineering Courses
Register here for a FREE Career Counselling Session!
Eligibility for Computer Engineering
Before delving into Computer Engineering subjects, let’s first understand the eligibility criteria you will have to meet in order to pursue courses in this field. The eligibility requirements for Computer Engineering courses differs as per the level of the course as well as the university you have chosen for. Here are the general prerequisites you must keep in mind while applying for such courses:
- For a diploma in Computer Engineering, the basic requirement is that the student must have completed 10+2 with science stream (generally PCM subjects) from a recognized board with the specified marks required by their chosen university.
- For BE courses or BTech in Computer Engineering, you must have accomplished 10+2 with PCM subjects and Indian institutes and universities also need candidates to undertake an entrance exam like JEE Mains, JEE Advanced, IPU CET, etc. Further, if you are planning to pursue a bachelor’s degree in this field abroad, you will be required to provide SAT scores, language proficiency scores like IELTS, TOEFL, etc. along with your 10+2 academic transcripts.
- If you aim to pursue a postgraduate degree in Computer Engineering, a bachelor’s degree in a related field is generally asked by universities along with entrance exam scores which can vary as per the university. Further, for those aiming to study abroad, you will be additionally needed to submit GRE scores along with language proficiency scores like IELTS, TOEFL, etc.
Note: The aforementioned eligibility requirements for Computer Engineering courses are only for indicative purposes and can vary as per the program and university.
Computer Engineering Subjects for Diploma, Bachelor’s & Master’s Level Courses
Being a unique combination of Computer Science and Engineering, there are a vast number of Computer Engineering subjects which might differ as per the degree or diploma you are opting for. Further, the core subjects generally remain the same for these degree and diploma courses though they might be covered at a foundational, basic or advanced level. The following sections have will give you an overview of the major Computer Engineering subjects covered for different degree and diploma programmes.
For Diploma Courses in Computer Engineering
|Engineering Physics||Digital Electronics||Computer Programming|
|Web Designing||Basic Electronics||Mathematics|
|Database Management System||Microprocessor and Assembly||Computer Application|
|Web Development Tools||C++ Programming||Operating Systems|
|Software Development||Language Programming||Data Structure|
|Computer Networks||Java Programming||Net Programming|
For Bachelor’s Level Courses in Computer Engineering (BE, BTech, etc.)
|Engineering Physics||Engineering Chemistry||Computer Graphics and Visualisation|
|Graph Theory and Combinatorics||Engineering Mathematics||Analysis of Algorithms Laboratory|
|Design and Analysis of Algorithms||Artificial Intelligence||Theory Database Applications|
|Advanced Computer Architecture||Computer Networking||Linux and X- Windows Programming|
|Multimedia Technology||Computing Data Warehousing and Data Mining||Software Operating Systems|
|Computer Programming C Language||Electronic Circuits||Data Structures with C|
For Master’s Level Courses in Computer Engineering (ME, MTech, etc.)
|Operating System Design||Performance Evaluation of Computer System and Networks||Agent-Based Intelligent Systems|
|Software Engineering Methodologies||Data Structures and Algorithms||Web Technology|
|Internet Programming and Tools||Computer Architecture||Network Security|
|Computer Networks Engineering and Management||Theory of Computation||Mobile Computing|
|Advanced Web Design||Soft Computing||Mathematical Structures of Computer Science|
|eCommerce Technology||Pattern Recognition||ASIC Design|
Note: The above-mentioned Computer Engineering subjects are for indicative purposes and may differ from as per the course and university.
One of the major Computer Engineering subjects, Engineering Mechanics aims to impart students with thorough knowledge about particle physics, how particles interact with mass and energy, various properties of the surface and solid as well as Friction. Candidates will get to know about the important concepts like dynamics of particles, the elements of rigid bodies along with their equilibrium.
Quick Read: Career in Engineering Management
Engineering Physics will one of the most essential Computer Engineering subjects and will be a part of the curriculum up to the second year. This interdisciplinary subject in various semesters will familiarize you with topics like Optics, Heat and Thermodynamics, Acoustics, Laser and Fibre Optics, Mechanics etc.
Our Top Read: Aerospace Engineering in Germany
Programming and Data Structures
You will learn about topics like searching, sorting and files along with a variety of programming languages. It is amongst the key Computer Engineering subjects and a major focus is put on studying C language and Program Development along with Data Structures both Linear and Non-Linear.
Semiconductors Physics and Electronics
This important subject will be a guide to the internal working of the electronic devices. It will take you through the workings of semiconductors elucidating about Fibre Optical Communications, Semiconducting Materials, Optoelectronic Switching Devices, Modern Engineering Material etc.
Must Read: Why Banking After Engineering?
Mathematics and Discrete Mathematics
Mathematics will be an integral mention in the Computer Engineering subjects enabling the students with core fundamentals of it. Mainly, you will get to study the topic like Vector Calculus, Statistics, Multiple Integers, Graphs, Lattices, Combinatory etc. Apart from these topics, the most important concepts would be Complex Integration and Analytic Functions.
Related Read: Top 10 Engineering Colleges in India
Being an essential part of the curriculum, this subject concerning AI will be a tour of the most interesting concepts and workings. Logic and Reasoning, Planning and Learning along with knowledge representation will help get a better understanding of Artificial Intelligence and its workings.
Check Out: Applications of Artificial Intelligence
Interactive Computer Graphics
Interactive Computer Graphics will cover the key fundamentals and principles regarding Colour Models; Curves Surfaces and Solids; Hidden Surface Elimination; Transformations etc.
[Bonus] Computer Engineering Courses
Now that you are familiarized with Computer Engineering subjects offered across different level courses in this field, let’s take a look at the popular programs you can explore in this area of study:
- Diploma in Computer Engineering
- Diploma in Computer Programmer
- Diploma in Engineering
- Bachelor in Engineering & Computer Science
- Bachelor in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Bachelor of Computer Engineering
- B.E in Computer Engineering
- BTech in Computer Engineering
- Master of Engineering- MEng in Computer Engineering
- Master in Computer Engineering – Mobile Computing
- Master of Smart Systems in Engineering
Computer Engineering is a unique amalgamation of computer science as well as electrical engineering. It focuses on the study of the design and development of computing technologies as well as electronic devices.
The basic requirement is that the student must have completed 10+2 with science stream (generally PCM subjects) from a recognized board.
Diploma in Computer Engineering
Diploma in Computer Programmer
Diploma in Engineering
Hopefully, after reading this blog about Computer Engineering subjects, you are all clear about what the different level courses in this field entail. If you are exploring the best courses and universities to study Computer Science and Engineering, take the assistance of our Leverage Edu experts and we will help you in select the best course that aligns with your interests, goals and career aspirations. Sign up for an e-meeting today!