As a globally popular and acclaimed degree in the domain of Business, MBA is a top choice of many, regardless of the academic background they come from. With a plethora of MBA specialisations on offer, it also attracts numerous engineering graduates looking to hone their management skills and earn an interdisciplinary qualification through this esteemed degree. Pursuing an MBA after Engineering equips you with a unique skill set thus making you a qualified candidate for a wide array of opportunities in business as well as technological domain. Through this blog, let’s delve deeper into the concept of MBA for Engineers, how it can enhance your candidature, specialisations you can choose from as well as the top universities.
Must Read: Why MBA After BTech
Why MBA After Engineering?
There are an array of perks and advantages that you can avail by opting for an MBA after Engineering. Firstly, it assists you in building upon many soft skills that can prove to be extremely helpful in your career quests. Secondly, it provides you with a varied set of knowledge, i.e. in technical aspects as well as in terms of management, finance, human resources, amongst others. Many companies look for candidates with different sets of skills and having a combination of Engineering and MBA can work wonders for you. Further, you are working on a idea of a new invention or technology-related, an MBA can equip you with the necessary understanding of operating a business thus helping you build your own startup. Another crucial advantage of pursuing an MBA is that one can choose from a multitude of career paths in both business and technical arena while also those career roles that are a combination of these two.
Planning to Study MBA but don’t know how the admission process works? Check Out MBA Admission: The Ultimate Guide!
MBA After Engineering: Top Specialisations
Opting for an MBA after engineering would mean that you would be imparting with the core knowledge of how businesses work as well as their crucial aspects like human resources management, finance and marketing, operational management etc. On the other hand, if you are planning to study an MBA in a technical specialisations, there are many sub-fields available like, MBA in Data Science, MBA in Information Technology, amongst others. For students who are into chemical engineering, you can choose from different types of MBA courses like Industrial chemistry, chemical engineering thermodynamics, system engineering etc. Let’s take a look at some of the popular specialisations that many engineering graduates take to pursue an MBA:
- Human Resource Management: As an impeccable element of a business organisation, human resource managers play an incremental role in developing policies for employees as well as maintaining a healthy relationship between employees and the employer (s). Studying an MBA in HR, you will be equipped with varied aspects of managing the personnel of an organisation, from recruiting and staffing to facilitating training and creating effective labour policies.
- International Business: Foreign trade is becoming a significant field of study with the prevalence of globalisation and if you are exploring MBA for Engineers, this specialisation can help you discover this emerging domain and build a promising career in it. An MBA in Foreign Trade can provide you with an in-depth knowledge of international business practices and laws as well as procedures and documentation essential to carry out export and import across different countries.
- Computer Science: If you have already pursued your engineering degree in a specialisation like computer science, opting for an MBA in the same can further assist you in understanding how computer systems are designed for different industries. An MBA in Computer Science will also open up many career prospects in management and IT domain as it will provide you with a blend of skill sets of both commercial and technical arena.
- Entrepreneurship: In the long list of specialisations under MBA for engineers, Entrepreneurship is the most sought-after one since it aims to help aspirants understand what it takes to build a business of their own. In the world dominated by innovative startups, an MBA in Entrepreneurship lets you delve deeper into the integrals of transforming a unique idea into a successful business.
- Communication: If you have always been inclined towards the field of media and communication, going for an MBA in this sub-field can assist you in honing your passion towards this popular specialisations while also imparting you with the essentials of how communication is facilitated within business. An MBA in Communication also proves to useful in smoothly changing career paths to a more media-oriented arena which is filled with shining career prospects.
Some other key specialisations under MBA for engineers include:
- Operations Management MBA
- MBA in Digital Marketing
- MBA in Finance
- MBA in Quality Management
- MBA in Data Science
- MBA in Data Analytics
- MBA in Banking and Finance
- MBA in General Management
- MBA in Information Technology
Since it is quite a famed master’s degree, there are a wide range of academic institutions across the globe that offer copious MBA programs in different specialisations. To help you further in your research on MBA for Engineers, we have compiled a list of top universities that you can choose from:
- Auburn University
- Colorado State University
- West Virginia University
- University of North Carolina- Chapel Hill
- North Carolina State University
- Florida International University
- Indiana University
- University of Utah
- University of Massachusetts-Lowell
- Arizona State University
- The University of Southern California
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Tennessee Technological University
- University of Maryland— College Park
- De Montfort University, UK
- Robert Gordon University
- Aston University, Birmingham
- University of Cologne
- RWTH Aachen University
- University of Sydney
- University of New South Wales
Explore: MBA vs MTech
Thus, MBA for Engineers is a wonderful blend that can help you polish your business acumen while opening up a plethora of opportunities for you to explore. If you are still confused about which specialisation to take for your MBA, take the assistance of our Leverage Edu experts and we will guide you in finding a suitable course and university that fits your interests and aspirations and helps you advance towards your dream career path.