Do you know being a baker takes more than knowing how to bake bread? Confectionery and Bakery have emerged out of a career in hotel management. It is a blend of both Science and Arts wherein there is a multitude of specifications and proportions that are to be kept in mind while making the desired product. While the science part of it remains constant for everyone, the creative part of it can differ to a great extent in professionals landing them to diversifying areas of employment. This is a choice article for all the students, fresh out of culinary school, trying to find a job. Or For those planning a career after arts stream in this field!
This Blog Includes:
- Required Skills for Bakery and Confectionery
- Difference between Bakery and Confectionery
- Bakery and Confectionery Courses
- Online Courses for Baking and Confectionery
- How to be a Baker in India?
- Best Bakery Colleges in the World
- Best Bakery Colleges in India
- Subjects Covered in Bakery and Confectionery Courses
- Job Prospects for Bakery and Confectionery
- Books on Baking
Required Skills for Bakery and Confectionery
As a Baker, you would be making a lot of buns, pastries, croissants, bread rolls, loaves, cakes, etc adding your innovative factors to the basic recipe. While a course in the field would trach you weighing ingredients, mixing them and setting them to a mould, but, there are certain additional skills a professional in Confectionery must exhibit. Enlisted below are some of them:
- Correct Knowledge of Ingredients
- Sensibility to Not Waste Anything
- Quick Learner
- Proper Knowledge of Pricing
- Basic knowledge of Maths
- Justification of the Procedures [How much and why those ingredients are mixed and used.]
- Have to Understand Demographics [specifically when you own your bakery]
- Have to be a good communicator, so can describe the product well and can seduce customers into buying new things.
- Physical stamina and patience to work for hours on a single thing.
Along with skills comes some duties that fall upon the sleeve of a professional baker. Let us have a look at some of them:
- Check the Quality of Ingredients
- Come up with New Recipes
- Be precise and accurate because bread making especially requires time and precision
- Responsibility for Any Failure
Difference between Bakery and Confectionery
The main difference between a bakery and a confectionery is that Bakeries sell baked items like bread, cakes, doughnuts, cinnamon rolls, pastries, pies, eclairs while Confectioneries sell sweet-based products like candies, sweetmeats. Bakeries and confectioneries can be a single shop.
Bakery and Confectionery Courses
One can decide on pursuing a course in Bakery at any given point of life, thus, varsities across the globe offer a wide range of programmes pertaining to this field ranging from Bachelor’s level to short time certificate courses. One is likely to find a suitable level of course as per their preferences, enlisted below are the choicest ones by Leverage Edu:
- Diploma in Bakery and Confectionery (DBC)
- Advance Certificate Course in Bakery and Confectionery
- Certificate Course in Bakery and Confectionery
- Advance Diploma in Culinary Arts and Patisserie Studies
- Craft Course in Bakery and Confectionery (CCBC)
- Diploma in Culinary Arts and Patisserie
- Post Graduate Diploma in Bakery Science and Technology
- Post Graduate Diploma in Bakery Science and Management
- Certificate Course in Food Production and Patisserie
- Diploma in Bakery Technology and Management
Online Courses for Baking and Confectionery
There are various popular sites like Youtube, Instagram and Udemy where students can learn the basics of baking. Some of the courses offered online are free of cost or at minimal costs ranking between INR 500 to INR 2000! Here are some popular courses you can to take basic, intermediate or expert level baking training-
- Viennoiserie, Danish Pastries & Enriched Doughs For Beginner by Thomas Charles Mathiassen
- The Basics of Bake by Emily Friend
- Japanese Pastry Course Japanese Cheesecake by IndyAssa Japan
- French Pastry – The Complete Croissant Masterclass by Shubranshu Bhandoh
How to be a Baker in India?
Baking is one of the most accessible professions in the world. School students, college students, professionals, graduates- anyone can pursue a career in Bakery and Confectionery. Students of baking can learn the basics, techniques and skills of baking by taking a diploma, certificate or degree course in baking. Candidates can learn via workshops, online courses or classes from experts. Baking is a technical skill and requires years of experience and talent to create remarkable pieces. In order to become a Baker in India, candidates require a degree or diploma in Bakery and Confectionary. They can gain experience with internships, workshops and apprenticeships with bakers. Professional bakers in India can work with hotels, restaurants as well as indulge in freelancing and self-employment.
Eligibility to become Baker
- Candidates who have completed a certification or diploma in relevant fields can also apply for this profile.
- Some colleges require students applying for masters in Bakery to have completed graduation/B.tech/ B.Sc. in Microbiology/ Life Sciences/ Botany/ Zoology/ Food Science/ Food Technology/ BE/ B.Pharma/ MBBS/ BDS/ BHS/ BUMS/ BAMS or any other discipline.
- Candidates require 2-3 years of experience from internships and apprenticeships to work in reputable organisations. Some companies may employ freshers or people with less work experience as well.
Bakers learn their skills through the job and some employers can also provide apprenticeship programs for interested students. All they should study are:
- Basic Nutrition
- Basic Math
- Sanitation Procedures
Then after formal education or apprenticeship programs, bakers can apply for a license. It is a voluntary thing but it shows that a baker or confectioner is certified. For example- In America, The Retail Bakers of America is an organization that offers certification to aspiring bakers. The interested candidates have to satisfy some requirements in terms of Education and Experience, have a look at them:
- A junior baker doesn’t need to have an education but is required to have 1 year of training.
- A Certified baker must have 4 years of work experience along with 30 hours of Sanitation practicals.
- A master baker must have 8 years of experience with 30 hours of sanitation and 30 hours of professional development courses.
Also Read: Eligiblity for Hotel Management in Canada
Best Bakery Colleges in the World
- French Culinary Institute
- The International Culinary Schools at the Art Institutes
- Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts
- Auguste Escoffier School of Culinary Arts
- Culinary Arts Academy
- Le Cordon Bleu
- L’ecole Lenotre Paris
- Pastry Concept
- Cast Alimenti
- Ferrandi Paris
- Academy Of Pastry Arts
- Horeca Culinary School
Best Bakery Colleges in India
- Institute of Hotel Management, Mumbai
- ASK Institute of Bakery and Confectionery
- School for European Pastry
- Truffle Nation- Premium Baking School
- Lavonne Academy of Baking Science and Pastry Arts
- White Lotus School of Cake Decoration Arts
- Whisk and Bake Institute
Subjects Covered in Bakery and Confectionery Courses
- Introduction to bakery
- Role of Bakery ingredient
- Quality testing of ingredients and Bakery Products
- Bread making process
- Cake making
- Other bakery products
- Modification of bakery products for people with special nutritional requirements
- Production & quality of breakfast cereals, macaroni products and malt.
- Packaging and labeling
- Food safety and Food law
- Practicals – analysis of raw material and bakery products
- Entrepreneurship Development in Bakery Industry
- Laboratory demonstration, practicals and instrument handling
Job Prospects for Bakery and Confectionery
Candidates securing the right skills and degree in Confectionary can either start their own venture or work in the following areas:
- Large Baked Goods Manufacturers
- Retail Bakeries
- Hotels & Restaurants
- Institutional Food Service Providers
- Specialist Bakeries
- Cookery Shows
- Food Stylist
- Baking Classes
- Chefs and Head Cooks
- Food and Tobacco Processing Workers
- Food Preparation Workers
The lowest salary that a baker can earn after pursuing a course in Bakery and Confectionery by working under someone else is around $20,000/year, and the average salary is $35,000/ year. Obviously, these can differ that’s why we are here to guide you. Being a baker or confectioner is a very promising and rewarding career. You can either own your own little shop or work for someone else. The capital requirement is not much and no pertinent need for formal education.
Books on Baking
- 1001 Best Baking Recipes of All by Emma Katie
- Flour Water Salt Yeast by Ken Forkish
- The Baking Bible
- Baking: From My Home to Yours
- The cake bible
- The Big Book of Treats by Pooja Dhingra
Baking is just like art. There is no need for an individual to get a professional degree to pursue this course but many times candidates decide upon attending a culinary school. Baking courses are short term in duration and can be 1 to 2 years long. Apart from teaching a wide range of baking techniques, they also introduce students with Nutrition, Food Safety and Basic Maths.
A bakery is a place that provides commodities made by the process of baking like bread, biscuits, patties, etc. While confectionery is a more specific form of baking sweet things like cakes, muffins, etc.
To make a career in Baking you can either go for a full-time course in Hotel Management or sign up for short term diploma/certificate courses in Baking and Confectionery.
You can work in a hotel or cafe as a baker or open up your own shop. You can be a bread baker for a recognized food brand or work as a cake artist or food stylist. Food blogging is also something that you can explore.
Applying to Paris or France has been the number one priority for the students wanting to make a career in Bakery and Confectionery. Of Course, you need the expertise to apply abroad. At Leverage Edu we have mentors to help you in that. Still, figuring out which is the best culinary school? Why not book a free career counselling session with us and put wings on your career by getting admission in one of the best Hotel Management colleges.