Australian hospitality graduates are among the industry’s most sought-after candidates, giving them a competitive advantage. You can spread your wings and explore the globe boldly while pursuing your career goals with an internationally-recognised Australian education. Students with a bachelor’s degree in hospitality management have many options in Australia. Graduates of hospitality programmes can find work in restaurants, travel agencies, hotels and resorts, and other travel and hospitality business areas. Check out all of the details about hotel management courses in Australia here.
This Blog Includes:
- Why Study Hotel Management Courses in Australia?
- Course Curriculum for Hotel Management
- Hotel Management Courses in Australia
- Top Universities
- Application Process
- Cost of living in Australia
- Scholarships in Australia or Hotel Management Courses
- Future Scope of Hotel Management
- Placements and Salary
Why Study Hotel Management Courses in Australia?
The hotel sector is rapidly evolving around the world because of ongoing globalisation. As a result, this industry’s market size has increased from AUD 694 billion in 2014 to AUD 894 billion in 2018.
As the market grows, the career opportunities for hotel management graduates are only bound to increase. During the last decade, the hotel management industry in Australia has risen rapidly, and it is predicted to employ about 9,70,000 people by 2023.
According to Cushman and Wakefield estimates, Hobart was Australia’s best-performing hotel city in 2019, with RevPAR (Revenue Per Available Room) growth of 8.4 per cent in a year.
Course Curriculum for Hotel Management
The subjects offered in hotel management courses vary depending on the college. Furthermore, some colleges offer the BHM programme as a three-year programme, while others provide it as a four-year programme. Also, Master’s courses are available as a 2-year course. Popular colleges that offer hospitality management courses offer some or all of the following disciplines:
|Introduction to Hospitality & Tourism Industry||Food & Beverage Service|
|Food Production||Front Office Operations|
|Business Communication||Accommodation Operation|
|Accommodation Management||Hospitality Information Systems|
|Food Science & Nutrition||Corporate Finance|
|Global Food Trends||Food Safety Management Systems|
|Human Resources Management||Travel & Tourism|
|Hospitality Facility Planning||Hospitality Marketing|
|Indian Heritage & Culture||Business Law and Ethics|
|Environment Sustainability||Entrepreneurship Development|
|Foreign Language (any one)||English|
Hotel Management Courses in Australia
|University/College||Course Offered||Program Fee full course (in AUD)|
|Southern Cross University||Bachelor of Business in Hotel Management||AUD 68,400 (INR 36.85 Lakhs)|
|Torrens University||Bachelor of Business in Hospitality Management||AUD 93,000 (INR 50.13 Lakhs)|
|The Hotel School||Bachelor of Business in Hotel Management||AUD 82,800 (INR 44.64 Lakhs)|
|Blue Mountains International Hotel Management School||Diploma of Business (International Hotel and Resort Management)||AUD 31,000 (INR 16.71 Lakhs)|
|International College of Hotel management||Bachelor of Hospitality Management||AUD 78,168 (INR 42.13 Lakhs)|
|University of Queensland||Bachelors of International Hotel and Tourism Management||AUD 84,544 (INR 45.73 Lakhs)|
|Griffith University||Master of International Tourism and Hospitality Management||AUD 67,000 (INR 36.11 Lakhs)|
Given below is a list of some of the top hospitality colleges in Australia and their QS Rankings 2022.
|QS Ranking||Name of University|
|26||Blue Mountains International Hotel Management School|
|31||University of Queensland|
|51 – 100||James Cook University|
|51 – 100||Monash University|
|51 – 100||University of South Australia|
The eligibility criteria for entering into hotel management courses are:
- An IELTS score of at least 6 is required by most institutes. Some institutes might require a minimum score of 6.5 as well. Sectional cutoffs of 5.5 are applicable to reading, listening, speaking and writing sections of the test.
- Academic scores are taken into consideration. Most institutes do not have a minimum requirement, but some institutes insist on a GPA of 4 out of 7 for master’s courses.
Admissions to hotel management courses in Australia normally start in February, June, and November. The application is only accepted online, and you can apply through the official websites of the various colleges.
When applying for a degree in hotel management in Australia, you’ll need the following documents:
- Results and mark sheets from secondary school and undergraduate degrees if applicable.
- Transcripts and documents in languages other than English should be translated into English.
- An IELTS score or similar is required as proof of English language proficiency.
- Statement of Purpose
- 2-3 Letters of Recommendation
Make your dreams of studying in Australia a reality. Call us at 1800572000 and book a FREE counselling session today.
Cost of living in Australia
|Type of Expenses||Cost (in AUD)|
|Application fees||AUD 125 – AUD 300 (~INR 6.5k – 22.5k)|
|Australian Student Visa Fees||AUD 450 – AUD 575(~INR 34k – 44k)|
|IELTS application fees||AUD 250 – AUD 340 (INR 19k – 26k)|
|TOEFL application fees||AUD 150 – AUD 300 (~INR 11.5k – 23k)|
|Airfare||AUD 200 – AUD 750 (~INR 15k – 57k)|
|Health insurance||AUD 2,149 (~INR 1.60 Lakhs)|
Scholarships in Australia or Hotel Management Courses
Check the list of government and university-provided scholarships here.
Australian Awards – This is a government-funded scholarship that pays for the entire cost of attendance for a student, including housing, transportation, and tuition. To be eligible for this grant, the student must be at least 18 years old.
- Griffith Remarkable Scholarship: This award is presented to students who have achieved academic success and are applying to undergraduate or postgraduate programmes. The scholarship gives you a 50% reduction on your annual tuition.
- Global Study Awards – This scholarship aims to attract overseas students to Griffith University so that they can learn about Australian culture and values. The amount of the scholarship varies.
The University of Queensland
- Alfred and Olivia Wynne Memorial Scholarship – Both domestic and international students who have recently started college are eligible. The scholarship is valued at around 3000 Australian dollars each year and is given out on the basis of merit and financial need.
- Neil Brice Memorial Fund – Financially challenged students are eligible to apply for the scholarship, which is worth roughly 1000 Australian dollars. Both domestic and international students are welcome to apply for this programme.
- UQ Sports Scholarship Ambassador Program – This scholarship is given to students who are members of a national or international sports team. The amount of the scholarship varies depending on the athlete’s needs.
Southern Cross University:
- Coffs Coast International Women’s Day Female Postgraduate Scholarship – This is for female applicants to any of the university’s postgraduate programmes. For a year, the scholarship is worth 2,500 Australian dollars.
- International Advancement Scholarship – The scholarship is open to undergraduate and graduate students. The scholarship is worth 8000 dollars in Australian currency. The money will be withdrawn from your fees and given to you based on your academic success.
- Here to Educate – The award entitles the recipient to a fee reduction of 20%. International students are the only ones who can take advantage of it.
- Three Pillars Blue Mountains International Hotel Management Scholarship – Only overseas students participating in hotel management courses are eligible for this award, which is worth up to 30% of the tuition.
Future Scope of Hotel Management
With a bachelor’s degree in hotel management, you’ll be able to work in a variety of settings. Because the hotel industry has so many divisions, such as operations, food and beverage, front office, accounting, and security, you can pick your favourite and apply for a variety of jobs.
Placements and Salary
|Job Profile||Average Salary|
|Hotel Manager||AUD 64,046 (INR 34.5 Lakhs)|
|Housekeeping Supervisor||AUD 28,470 (INR 15.33 Lakhs)|
|Restaurant Manager||AUD 57,514 (INR 30.97 Lakhs)|
|Waiter/Waitress, Hotel||AUD 24,330 (INR 13.1 Lakhs)|
|Guest Service Associate||AUD 54,518 (INR 29.35 Lakhs)|
|General Manager, Hotel||AUD 83,447 (INR 44.93 Lakhs)|
|Front Office Supervisor||AUD 53,883 (INR 29.01 Lakhs)|
To know more, Register here for UniConnect by creating an account and interact one on one with top university representatives, apply with one click and secure on-spot offers and scholarships.
Chefs can work in a variety of settings, including hotels, restaurants, airlines, food processing industries, confectionery catering, cruise liners, corporate catering, and more. Pay varies by area, but a new hire may expect to make between Rs 10,000 and Rs 15,000 per month. One can expect to earn between Rs 50,000 and Rs 60,000 per month after 5-7 years of experience. In Australia, the salaries in the hospitality industry are good with the average salary of AUD 61,000 per year.
A traditional MBA, a hospitality MBA, or a Master’s degree programme in hospitality, tourism, and allied professions are all available.
Both the private and public sectors have openings. The hospitality industry has a lot to offer, from top management to service employees. In hotels, flight kitchens, cruises, fast food chains, and other connected businesses, you can work as a management trainee, customer relations executive, marketing/sales executive, kitchen manager, housekeeping manager, catering officer, or chef.
Business, customer service, interpersonal, leadership, listening, organising, and problem-solving abilities are often required of hotel managers. A good course can help you inculcate these skills.
We hope that this blog was able to shed some light on the hotel management courses in Australia. If you require more information or if you require help in your application process, do contact the experts at Leverage Edu to help you with the admission process.