If you are a student of biology and interested in studying microorganisms, BSc Microbiology is an apt course for you to pursue after high school. A career in microbiology equips you to work intensively at studying the science of microorganisms. This field of study has ample opportunities in the area of research and various other sectors. Before you opt for this course, it is integral to take a look at the concepts you will be learning. Here in this blog, we have listed all the significant information about BSc Microbiology syllabus, its chief components, job prospects as well as top colleges for BSc Microbiology.
Overview of BSc Microbiology Syllabus
BSc microbiology is a three-year undergraduate course that comprises the study of microorganisms, this includes various organisms like a unicellular, cluster of microscopic animals, viruses, bacteria, and fungi. This discipline is a key component of the various research in biochemistry and pathology. It has several subfields like virology, mycology, parasitology, etc. Also, microbiology is an essential part of pathology where it is used to combat various diseases that are caused by microorganisms. This field also includes the study of immunology, one of the important subfields of this course.
Key Components of BSc Microbiology Syllabus
As you can see microbiology encompasses vast fields of research but at the same time, it is constituted of chief foundations that are imperative for understanding the scope of this science. Following are the major key components of BSc Microbiology syllabus:
- Immunology: Immunology is the study of the immune system of an organism and how it defends itself from parasites and other disease-causing organisms. Immunology is an essential part of microbiology because some of the fatal diseases that the human body suffers from, are caused by bacteria, viruses and other microorganisms. Immunology helps in determining the damage caused by these organisms. Further, it also works on developing a cure for these diseases and preventing them from spreading.
- Molecular Biology: Molecular biology is the field of science that deals with the molecular basis of biology. It focuses on studying biomolecules like DNA, RNA, etc., their functions and importance in an organism.
- Biotechnology: Biotechnology is important as well as a contemporary branch of science that amalgamates technology and biology. This branch of biology has led to progress in the health sector with its work on creating antibiotics. Extensive research is conducted in biotechnology on inventions related to what affects the immune system as well as in the modification of various genetic models.
- Biochemistry: Biochemistry can be referred to as the branch of biology that deals with the chemical aspects of any biological process. Biochemistry is an important branch of science in contemporary research because of the advent of synthetic substitutes instead of organic materials. This substitution has affected the health sector as well as the microbiology sector and brought significance to the field of biochemistry.
Here are some additional subjects that you will be taught in detail as part of BSc Microbiology syllabus:
- Molecular Biology
- Concepts of Immunology
- Molecular Biology
- Tissue Culture
- Cell Structure
BSc Microbiology Syllabus: Job Prospects
- Biochemist: A biochemist studies various chemical aspects of biological processes. He/she works towards modifying various chemicals present in the human body like DNA, RNA, etc and enzymes in order to study and make changes in the biological processes.
- Cellular Biologist: A cellular biologist studies various functions of a cell, its structure and its physiological as well as metabolic properties. This field helps in conducting research in various fields when it comes to the study of a specific cell or unicellular organisms.
- Immunologist: An immunologist is an expert in the field of immunology and usually deals with various problems related to immunity. They also help in conducting research on producing new drugs that affect the health of an organism.
BSc Microbiology Syllabus- Top Universities
Here we have listed down the major colleges offering BSc Microbiology syllabus and are renowned for their work in microbiology:
- Oxford University
- Harvard University
- University of Dublin
- Duke University
- Johns Hopkins University
Hence, we hope that this blog elaborating on BSc Microbiology syllabus helped you in understanding the essential concepts that you will be studying in this course. If you are unsure about the right university for pursuing BSc Microbiology, Leverage Edu experts can help you in finding the ideal university along with assisting you in building a great profile for the admission process.