Want to become a professional laboratory technician, medical assistant or technician? DMLT is the course for you. Also called Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology is a diploma course program. Its duration is for 2 years. The admission process varies from one college to another. Most colleges give admission on the basis of merit but some colleges do take entrance exams as well.
|DMLT Full Form||Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology|
|Average Fees||INR 20,000- INR 1,00,000|
What is DMLT Course?
A domain under paramedical science, DMLT covers subjects about diagnosis and treatment through the use of laboratory equipment. The is meticulously designed for students to gain knowledge and technical skills about various subjects like pathology, biochemistry, microbiology, and haematology. The course also trains them to handle advanced lab equipment, perform accurate medical laboratory tests, and eventually work as Laboratory Technicians.
- You may use DMLT to perform all of the tests needed to diagnose an illness. The programme is primarily intended to fill the void left by laboratory personnel.
- Students are also taught how to operate laboratory equipment and technology.
- Students can practise using CT scan machines, X-ray machines, MRI machines, and other medical equipment.
Also Read: Biomedical Engineering Syllabus
Why Pursue DMLT Course?
Among the many emerging medical courses, students find it difficult to which course to pursue. Here are a few reasons to pursue Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology.
- Laboratory Technicians and technicians play a crucial role in the healthcare system, by diagnosing and treating diseases.
- DMLT is one of the emerging courses and is being preferred by many recruiters in India and abroad.
- With the rise of diseases and the onset of COVID-19, students who have completed courses like DMLT have multiple opportunities in the medical industry (both private and government sectors).
- Students who find it difficult to compete in medical courses like MBBS or BHMS, can do DMLT and pursue their careers in the medical field.
Must Read: Diploma in Physiotherapy
Who should pursue the DMLT Course?
- Getting into the field of medical science, on the other hand, is one of the most difficult and difficult aspects of one’s life.
- For someone who thinks it would be tough to get into an MBBS program, this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to pursue a career in medicine.
- This course is for candidates who want to learn about the investigation, diagnosis, and treatment of various health conditions.
When to pursue DMLT Course?
Those interested in pursuing a career in Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology (DMLT) must graduate 10+2 with a minimum of 45 per cent -50 per cent to be qualified.
Some institutions/universities, on the other hand, provide students with the option to pass the secondary exams.
Advantages of the DMLT Course
Medical Laboratory Technologists frequently labour in the background. Their work is as vital as that of other medical experts.
- Many illnesses rely heavily on test data for diagnosis and therapy.
- In the discipline of paramedical science, aspirants who pursue this job have several benefits.
- Molecular diagnostics, molecular biotechnology firms, pathology laboratories, and research labs all provide fantastic opportunities for aspirants.
- In this sector, good pay packages are available.
- Aspirants who want to pursue DMLT have a lot of options.
- Candidates who pass the course can assist doctors in taking samples, analyzing samples, and other tasks under proper supervision.
DMLT Course Admission Process
The merit list of the qualifying test is used to determine admission to the Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology (DMLT).
- Applications can be submitted online or by visiting the college in person.
- The DMLT requires a minimum qualification of 10+2 with a 45 per cent -50 per cent aggregate and PCM/B as a compulsory subject.
- After 10th grade, several institutions offer DMLT.
- Some schools, on the other hand, use standardized entrance exams to admit students to their programmes.
- DMLT Admissions policies differ from one college to the next. If you are interested in applying to a certain institute, you can go to the institute’s official website.
- Admissions deadlines may differ from one college to the next. In most cases, submissions begin in May and finish in July.
DMLT Course Admission 2023
- The merit list and the marks earned in 10+2 are used to determine DMLT admission. Some universities, such as Aligarh Muslim University and St John’s University, admit students based on their admission exam scores.
- Direct admissions or entrance-based admissions are also options.
- Direct techniques are available both online and offline.
- Log in to the institution’s official website, go to the admissions area, and fill out the relevant paperwork, including your identifying information, a list of your grades, other required information, and the number of registration costs requested by the institute.
- Candidates must contact the college’s admissions department and fill out an application form after viewing the campus for the offline process.
- Candidates must register for the Entrance Exam by going to the institute’s official website and paying the application cost and providing the required information and papers.
- Candidates who pass the admission exam can apply for a counselling session during which they will be assigned to a college.
DMLT Course Entrance Exams
For the Diploma in Medical Laboratory, there is no particular entry test. However, certain prestigious institutions, such as St. Johns Medical College and Nims University, have a single admission exam to assess applicants.
DMLT Course Entrance Exams Date
|Entrance Exam||Registration Date||Exam Date|
|Manipal University Entrance Test||To be Announced||To be Announced|
|Jamia Hamdard Entrance Test||To be Announced||To be Announced|
|Amity University Entrance Test and Interview||To be Announced||To be Announced|
|AISECT University Entrance Exam||To be Announced||To be Announced|
|JIPMER||To be Announced||To be Announced|
Eligibility Criteria for DMLT Course
In order to take the DMLT course, you must qualify for it. Here are some of the important eligibility criteria that you need to have to join the DLMT Course:
- The applicant should have completed the 12th class from a recognized board (Some colleges also give admission after completion of the 10th class with a minimum of 50% in boards as the criteria)
- The applicant should be from a science background
- The applicant should have at least 50% marks in physics, chemistry and biology (science subjects) are required
- The applicant should have 45% marks are required for applicants from SC/ST categories
Subjects in DMLT Course
This course deals with the application of theoretical knowledge in practical life. Students are taught through seminars, practical application in labs, classroom lectures and even internships are available for the students to gain knowledge about the nature of practicality that this course requires. The list below provides a semester-wise list of subjects that will be a part of this course.
|Semester 1||Human Anatomy
Fundamentals of MLT
Basics of Clinical Biochemistry
Basic Human Science
|Semester 2||Human Physiology
Information and Communication Technology
|Semester 3||Human Physiology II
Metabolic and Technical Biochemistry
Community Development Activities II
|Semester 4||Histopathological Techniques
Syllabus of DMLT Course
The Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology (DMLT) program’s year-by-year and semester-by-semester syllabus, as specified by various institutions and colleges, is mentioned below.
|YEAR 1||YEAR 2|
|Basic Hematology||Clinical Biochemistry|
|Basics in Laboratory Equipment and Chemistry||Microbiology|
|Blood Banking & Immune Hematology||Immunology|
|Clinical Pathology (body fluids) and Parasitological|
DMLT Course Specializations
MLT is a program that allows students to specialize in a variety of areas. Specializations in this industry are in high demand and help individuals advance in their careers. The following are some of the specializations:
- Clinical chemistry
- Clinical Biochemistry
- Molecular Biology and Applied Genetics
- Clinical Pathology
- Immunology and Immunological Techniques
- Electron Microscopy
- Biomedical Techniques
Top Colleges for DMLT Courses in India
Given below are some of the best colleges in India which offer a DMLT course. The fee varies from college to college but an estimated average fee is between 10,000 to 1 lakh.
|University of Mumbai||INR 60,000- 90,000|
|ITM- Institute of Health Sciences||INR 60,000|
|Premlila Vithaldas Polytechnic (PVP)||INR 34,550|
|Delhi Institute of Technology and Paramedical Sciences||INR 80,000|
|Delhi Paramedical And Management Institute (DPMI)||INR 1,60,000|
|Rajiv Gandhi Paramedical Institute||INR 90,000|
|Dinabandhu Andrews Institute of Technology and Management||INR 2,49,000|
|Institute of Post-Graduate Medical Education and Research||INR 30,000|
|JIS University||INR 2,47,000|
Top DMLT Colleges Abroad
To study Diploma in Medical Laboratory and Technology (DMLT) in countries such as the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, or Australia, candidates must have some extra credentials, which vary depending on which nation they want to study in.
DMLT in the UK
|College/ University Name||Total Fees|
|University of Bradford||INR 61,79,000|
|Newcastle University||INR 75,57,000|
|Bangor University||INR 55,28,000|
|Nottingham Trent University||INR 15,86,000|
|University of Bradford||INR 82,37,000|
DMLT in the USA
|College/ University Name||Total Fees|
|The University of Wisconsin Parkside||INR 11,39,000|
|Long Island University Post||INR 26,49,000|
|University of Kansas||INR 19,98,000|
|National University, USA||INR 11,79,000|
|Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi||INR 10,87,000|
DMLT in Canada
|College/ University Name||Total Fees|
|University of New Brunswick||INR 10,42,000|
|University of Regina||INR 10,80,000|
|Sheridan College||INR 10,96,000|
|Fanshawe College||INR 9,80,000|
DMLT in Australia
|College/ University Name||Total Fees|
|Griffith University||INR 74,45,000|
|The University of Southern Queensland||INR 58,01,000|
|The University of Southern Queensland||INR 38,66,000|
|TAFE Queensland||INR 3,89,000|
|RMIT University||INR 10,27,000|
Scope after DMLT Course
Students who complete their DMLT course can pursue their careers in various medical institutions and laboratories. Among the many career options, here are the top recruiting companies for students In the private and government sectors.
- Pathology Labs
- Lab consultants
- Government and private hospitals
- Research labs
- Blood banks
- Emergency centres
- Medical Writers for journals or websites
- Academic writers
Related Read: Diploma in Nautical Science
Career Opportunities & Top Recruiters after DMLT Course
Graduates from this field can do a myriad of professional jobs in laboratories, clinics, research institutes, blood banks, pharmaceutical labs, schools labs etc. One can apply for post-graduation in the fields with the subjects studied in the diploma too. Some of the top recruiters for these jobs are mentioned below.
- Apollo Hospitals
- Fortis Hospitals and Labs
- Holy Family
- Max Health Care
- Sun Pharma
- Sri Gangaram Hospitals
Courses After DMLT
- Though DMLT is a diploma course, still the course trains the candidates both theoretically and practically in the field of Medical Laboratory and technology.
- After completing DMLT, candidates can directly apply for jobs and/or internships in the job profile of their choice.
- But, if someone wants to study further in the field of Medical Laboratory and Technology (MLT) then again there are ample choices of courses in which candidates can apply and enhance their skills more in this field.
- Below are some of the undergraduate level and certificate courses that can be pursued after the candidate has completed their Diploma in Medical Lab and Technology (DMLT).
|Bachelor’s Degree Courses||Certificate Courses|
|Bachelor of Medical Lab Technology (BMLT)||Certificate Course in Anaesthesia Technician|
|B.Sc in Medical Laboratory Technology||Certificate Course in Blood Bank Technician|
|B.Sc in Medical Imaging Technology||Certificate Course in Dark Room Assistant|
|B.Sc. Clinical Laboratory Technology||Certificate Course in Radiography & Imaging Technique|
Salary after DMLT Course
The salary for DMLT diploma graduates depends upon the abilities and competence of students. the salary also varies across companies and positions. Students can pursue some of the highest-paying jobs with salaries in the range of 1.5 lakhs to 5 lakhs per year. The salary increases according to experience or promotions in the field. Work with experienced staff in some of the best places and earn a fortune of goodwill and respect along with monetary gains. The average salary of a few job positions is tabulated below.
|Job Positions||Average Salary (per month)|
|Health Care Assistant||INR 30,000|
|Laboratory Analyst||INR 17,000|
|Medical Coder||INR 18,000|
|Research Assistant||INR 24,000|
|Medical Technician||INR 17,500|
|Laboratory Technologist||INR 17,000|
Molecular Biology and Applied Genetics.
Immunology and Immunological Techniques.
Ans. Overall, the DMLT programme is an excellent choice for students who are interested in healthcare and enjoy working in laboratories. It gives them the skills and knowledge they need to become competent medical laboratory technicians, a critical position in the healthcare industry.
Ans. A DMLT graduate will be able to perform the same duties and responsibilities that a BMLT graduate will. However, career opportunities for BMLT graduates will be greater than those for DMLT graduates, particularly if the candidate desires to continue higher education.
Want to pursue DMLT? Need help with the admission process or with preparing for the entrance exam? Talk to our experts at Leverage Edu and get into your dream course, college and job.