Cardiology is a specialised branch of medicine and deals with diagnosing and subsequent treatment of subsequent congenital heart defects, heart failure and coronary artery disease. The heart is one of the most complex and vital organs of the human body and medical professionals who specialize in this field of medicine are known as cardiologists. Master of Science (MSc) is the most prominent degree in the field of cardiology which focuses on the study of cardiovascular health and disease. Read this blog to know all about MSc Cardiology course, eligibility, jobs, scope, salary and colleges in India and abroad!
This Blog Includes:
MSc Cardiology is a 2-year postgraduate program which focuses on the study of cardiovascular health and disease and helps students gain knowledge about cardiac issues and patient care. It equips learners with knowledge of advanced clinical and interventional cardiology as well as diagnostic procedures and analysis. Studying MSc Cardiology, you will get to know about cardiac health and well-being, diseases and remedial and medical procedure, cardiac technology and care, amongst others.
Check Out: BSc Cardiology
MSc Cardiology Subjects
Though the actual course requirements might vary from one university to another, here are the major subjects covered in MSc Cardiology:
- Communication, learning and teaching in health and social care
- Acute cardiology principles and practice
- Interventional cardiology
- Fundamentals of cardiac diagnostic procedures and investigations
- Research methods and critical appraisal
- Leadership and change management in clinical services
- Quality, safety and service improvement in clinical services
- The candidate must have a bachelor’s degree in science from a recognized university with minimum marks as specified by the university.
- To apply for a masters program in Cardiology in India, you might be required to qualify a medical entrance exam like NEET PG/JIPMER/AIIMS, etc.
- If you plan to study abroad, some universities might ask you to appear for GRE or university-specific exams for this course. Additionally, you will also have to submit scores of English proficiency exams such as IELTS/TOEFL /PTE along with a Statement of Purpose and Letter of Recommendation.
Top Colleges & Universities
Here are the top colleges offering MSc Cardiology in India:
- Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research
- Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research
- Armed Forces Medical College
- Maulana Azad Medical College
- Banaras Hindu University
- Lady Hardinge Medical College
- Grant Medical College
If you want to pursue your masters in Cardiology abroad, here are the top medical schools and university you must consider:
- University of Hertfordshire
- Brighton and Sussex Medical School
- Queen Mary University of London
- University of Plymouth
- University of Chester
- Imperial College London
Jobs & Scope in MSc Cardiology
With the completion of the course students develop a broad understanding of cardiovascular medicine which will open a door of lucrative career opportunities in the field. Here are the major MSc Cardiology jobs:
- Cardiovascular Surgeon
- Interventional Cardiology
- Nuclear Biologists
- Research Scientist in Cardiology
- Cardiac Physiologist
- Electrophysiologist Cardiologist
- Non-Invasive Cardiologist
- Invasive Cardiologist
Cardiovascular Surgeon: A cardiovascular surgeon performs different kinds of treatment on the heart. Basically, cardiovascular surgeons are involved in performing heart transplants, heart surgeries and conducting all types of operations on heart, vessels and arteries.
Interventional Cardiologist: Interventional cardiologists are trained in diagnosing and treating cardiovascular diseases as well as the congenital and structural heart conditions through catheter-based procedures, such as angioplasty and stenting. They are involved in performing invasive tests and procedures in order to diagnose the disease.
Nuclear Biologists: Nuclear Biologists use small amounts of radioactive material to diagnose and treat patients’ heart problems non-invasively. In order to monitor a patient’s heart at work and at rest, they inject an imaging event into the patient’s bloodstream using specialized equipment.
Being a medical specialisation, you can explore a wide range of high-salaried careers in Cardiology across the public and private sector. A cardiologist in India can earn up to INR 20 lakh p.a. on an average and with a higher degree like MD in Cardiology, medical professionals can even earn up to INR 50 lakh p.a.
We hope that this blog helped you gain valuable insights about MSc Cardiology. Want to study Cardiology abroad? Connect with Leverage Edu experts and we will assist you in selecting the best course and university as per your interests and preferences! Sign up for a free session now!