Doctorate of Medicine in Pediatrics is a 3-year postgraduate course for budding pediatricians. It is offered by various universities worldwide and the minimum eligibility criteria for admission is an MBBS degree with 55%-60% marks from a recognized university. This MD is ideal for MBBS students interested in learning about the medical conditions of infants, babies, children, and teenagers.
This Blog Includes:
- Why Study MD Pediatrics?
- Advantages of MD Pediatrics
- Eligibility Criteria for MD Pediatrics.
- Entrance Exams for MD Pediatrics
- MD Pediatrics Syllabus
- MD Pediatrics Fees
- Top 10 Universities for MD Pediatrics in the World
- Top 10 Universities in India for MD Pediatrics
- MD Pediatrics Admission Process
- Roles and Responsibilities of a Pediatrician
- Average Salary of MD Pediatrics
- MD Pediatrics Scope
Must Read: How to Pursue MD in USA?
Why Study MD Pediatrics?
- High Salary: Pediatrics is highly specialised and students can earn up to 1 lakh to 2 lakh per month. This is why many students pursue MD in pediatrics after graduation as this course offers high salary and more employment opportunities.
- Love for Child-Care: Pediatricians are basically the doctors for children and doing something for the innocent is worthy. The degree allows students to follow their passion and research on ways on how to perfect and better healthcare for children.
- Research Opportunities: Another reason why students opt for MD Pediatrics is for research. This field focuses on reducing and eliminating medical, social and cultural diseases like infectious diseases amongst children, infanticide and how to reduce the rate of infant deaths and improve child care at an early age.
- Accessibility: MD Pediatrics is an accessible course in terms of tuition fees. This course can be as cheap as INR 5k and as expensive as INR 34 lakhs.
Advantages of MD Pediatrics
Students can earn up to 1 lakh to 2 lakh per month after completing MD Pediatrics. Many people choose to enter the medical profession to help others. Treating kids impacted by an illness, accident, or other diagnoses can be very satisfying. Not all pediatric specializations require dealing with critically ill kids. Most of the help develop healthy habits, such as getting immunizations, exercising, and improving diet.
Eligibility Criteria for MD Pediatrics.
- Anyone willing to pursue MD Pediatrics must have a 50%-60% aggregate in MBBS from a recognised university
- Entrance exams like MCAT are a requirement for admission in USA and Canada in MD programs
- Qualify the personal interview round after NEET exam
- Students who wish to study MD in a foreign country are required to give IELTS/TOEFL/PTE/Cambridge Test.
Entrance Exams for MD Pediatrics
In many universities in India, students are required to give entrance exams to study MD courses. Here are some of the popular PG medical entrance exams that student can prepare and attempt for admissions:
- JIPMER PG along with clearing the interview
- NEET PG with eligible scores
- AIIMS PG along with clearing the interview.
MD Pediatrics Syllabus
- Clinical complications
- Growth and development
- GIT and liver
- Habit disorders, hyperactivity and attention deficit syndrome, arthralgia, arthritis, multiple congenital anomalies, speech disorders
- Growth and development
- Gastrointestinal and liver diseases
- Nephrologic disorders
- Neurologic disorders
- Haematology and oncology
- Skin diseases
- Eye problems
- Emergency and critical care
- Behavioural and psychological disorders
- Social paediatrics
- Inborn errors of metabolism, allergic disorders
MD Pediatrics Fees
The average fee for pursuing MD pediatrics is about INR 5000 to INR 24 lakh per year. Tuitions fees and other costs depend upon the university and country you’re pursuing your degree in.
Top 10 Universities for MD Pediatrics in the World
|Name of the University||Fees Structure|
|Harvard University||$64,984 (full-time)/ INR 4,815,964.24|
|University of Cincinnati||$32,980 (in-state, full-time)/ INR 2,444,147.8
$51,244 (out-of-state, full-time)/INR 3,797,692.84
|Johns Hopkins University||$56,500 (full-time)/ INR 4,187,215|
|University of California–San Francisco||$36,342 (in-state, full-time) /INR 2,693,305.62$48,587 (out-of-state, full-time)/INR 3,600,782.57|
|University of Colorado||$41,156 (in-state, full-time)/ INR 3,050,219.38
$67,110 (out-of-state, full-time)/ INR 4,973,522.1
|Baylor College of Medicine||$19,425 (full-time) /INR 1,439,586.75|
|Duke University||$61,170 (full-time) /INR 4,533,308.7|
|University of Washington||$37,760 (in-state, full-time)/INR 2,798,393.6
$69,186 (out-of-state, full-time)/ INR 5,127,374.46
|University of California–Los Angeles||$37,620 (in-state, full-time)/INR 2,788,018.2
$49,865 (out-of-state, full-time)/INR 3,682,155.35
Top 10 Universities in India for MD Pediatrics
|Name of the College||Fee structure|
|All India Institute of Medical Science (AIIMS)||₹2375|
|Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER)||₹3470|
|Christian Medical College (CMC)||₹177800|
|Banaras Hindu University(BHU)||₹22860|
|Kasturba Medical College||₹1980000|
|Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER)||₹3810|
|Institute of Liver and Biliary Science (ILBS)||₹70000|
|King George’s Medical University||₹108200|
|Shri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education and Research||₹220000|
|St. John’s Medical College||₹910450|
MD Pediatrics Admission Process
The application process takes place over a period of time and begins months before the commencement of classes. The universities have two main intakes known as the fall intake and winter intake for international students to kickstart their journey. You can call our Leverage Edu experts on 1800 572 000 to find out how the application process can be fast-tracked! Here’s an easy 5-step process to complete your application process:
- Call our experts on 1800 572 000 to shortlist your favourite universities and courses. Start your application to multiple universities through our one dashboard platform
- Compile all your documents like SOPs, essays, certificates and LORs and exam scores like IELTS, TOEFL, GRE, GMAT, etc
- Meet all the applications deadlines and start the application process for accommodation, students visa, and scholarships/student loans
- Accept the offer letter and meet your teachers, college mates and roommates virtually
- Get your visa approved and fly to your dream university!
Roles and Responsibilities of a Pediatrician
- You would most probably enhance your listening and communication skills.
- You would increase your social perspective as you would have patients and would have to interact with their parents irrespective of gender, caste, etc.
- You would be able to observe quickly,as a pediatrician you would also be an observant
Average Salary of MD Pediatrics
The average salary offered to an MD pediatrician is about 50,000 to 80,000 to freshers whereas up to 34 lakhs for experience gained by pediatricians. The average salary is about 80,000 to 12 lakh.
Also Read: Medical Courses Without NEET
- Health Departments
- Nursing Homes
- Orphanages and Old Age Homes
- Medical Centres and Research Laboratories
- Government Departments
- Training Institutes
Must Read: How to Become a Medical Representative?
MD Pediatrics Scope
Pediatricians’ average salary is $100,478 (INR 74,61,044)
MD pediatrics is a course pursued by students after MBBS. It deals with medical science for infants, newborns, children, and teenagers.
MD is a doctor of medicine and Do is a doctor of osteopathy further a pediatrician can graduate from a recognized medical university with either MD or DO.
There is much more scope for MD pediatrics as you can go for the private sector or government sector, both are beneficial and offer good pay.
Yes, there are pediatric surgeons who treat, diagnose and manage children’s surgeries.
Must Read: Paramedical Courses List
Want to pursue MD Pediatrics in the world’s top universities? Then hurry up and sign up for a free session with our Leverage Edu experts on 1800 572 000!