A key area of medical research that focuses on the physical health of people is Physiotherapy. The profession enables people to continue working while assisting them in maintaining their independence for as long as possible. It also helps to encourage development and facilitate recovery. Physical limitations and issues with mobility brought on by a range of nerve, muscle, and joint disorders can be treated by physiotherapy. Let’s discuss the prerequisites and other crucial information for Masters in Physiotherapy in USA.
|Name of the Course||Masters of Physiotherapy|
|Eligibility||Bachelor’s degree in Science or relevant field|
|Standardized Test||IELTS– 6.0 – 7.5TOEFL– 80-100GRE – 290 above|
|Cost of Studying||14,000 USD to 59,000 USD per year (INR 11.43 Lakh – INR 48.17 Lakh)|
|Cost of Living||1,300 to 2,500 USD (monthly)(INR 1.06 Lakh to 2.05 Lakh)|
|Job Profiles||Physical Therapist, Sports Physio Rehabilitator, Neuromuscular Physical Therapist.|
|Average Annual Salary||USD 53,600 to USD 91,000(INR 43.76 Lakh to INR 74.30 Lakh)|
This Blog Includes:
- What is Physiotherapy?
- Why Study in USA?
- Curriculum Overview of Masters in Physiotherapy in USA
- Popular Universities Offering Masters in Physiotherapy in USA
- Eligibility Requirements
- Documents Required
- Application Process
- Student Visa
- Career Prospects and Salary
- Scholarships for Masters in Physiotherapy in USA
- Cost of Living and Studying in USA
What is Physiotherapy?
Physiotherapy is a therapeutic profession that requires a degree. Physiotherapists use their expertise to treat various ailments involving the body’s nervous, cardiovascular, respiratory, and neuromusculoskeletal systems. The science-based field of physiotherapy adopts a “whole person” perspective on health and wellness, which considers the patient’s overall lifestyle.
The patient’s commitment to their own care through knowledge, consciousness, and therapy is at the centre of it all. Physiotherapy aids in the treatment of back pain, and acute injuries, managing chronic illnesses like asthma and preparing for childbirth or athletic competition.
Why Study in USA?
Let’s go through some of the major points to study in USA.
- The USA is one of the top study-abroad destinations for Indian students due to its reputation as one of the most developed countries in the world. The nation boasts a rich multicultural history and a tonne of job prospects.
- International students make up about 5.5% of the US higher education population.
- The United States is renowned for having the best educational system in the world. It gives you the option to select courses that best suit your interests and provides exposure to a wide range of internship programs. Additionally, a variety of student exchange programs are available that help you expand your horizons in academics and career.
- The USA is one of the top study-abroad destinations for students due to its reputation as one of the most developed countries in the world. The nation boasts a rich multicultural history and a tonne of job prospects.
- The US is home to some of the best universities in the world, several of which frequently place high in international university rankings. American colleges are also renowned for having high academic standards, adhering to strict procedures to ensure quality, and being well-supported to provide their students with outstanding educations.
- The US has distinguished itself internationally for having the best educational infrastructure and offering a variety of physical therapy courses. The DPT program and the MS in Physiotherapy program in USA are the most sought-after programs by students in the USA.
- The BLS (Bureau of Labour Statistics) projects that there will be 49,100 new job vacancies for physical therapists between 2020 and 2030, with over 15,600 of those openings occurring per academic year.
Curriculum Overview of Masters in Physiotherapy in USA
- Musculoskeletal, Neuromuscular, Integumentary, Cardiopulmonary, Geriatrics, Pediatrics, and other topics may be included in the basic curriculum. Studying Healthcare Systems, Exercise Prescription, Pain Science, and Physical Therapy for Older Adults are additional program requirements.
- The specific subjects you must learn in Masters in Physiotherapy in USA include fall and balance dysfunction, clinical practice, orthopaedics clinician, and health promotion. However, this may change based on the university you were accepted to and your chosen courses.
- Additionally, a US university’s 33-credit-hour physiotherapy master’s degree program is structured to provide a complete assessment sequence of core coursework in the two distinct concentrations of musculoskeletal physical therapy and neuromuscular physical therapy.
Must Read: Masters in Cyber Security in USA
Popular Universities Offering Masters in Physiotherapy in USA
Here’s the list of some of the universities offering Masters in Physiotherapy in USA;
|Name of the University||QS World Rankings 2023||Annual Average Fees||Program Offered|
|San Jose State University||–||USD 18790(INR 15.34 Lakh)||MS in Kinesiology Exercise Physiology
MS in Kinesiology Sports
|George Mason University||1001-1200||USD 37956(INR 30.99 Lakh)||Master of Science in Kinesiology|
|University of South California||134||USD 25171(INR 20.55 Lakh)||Master of Science in Kinesiology, Sports Science|
|Northwestern University||32||USD 17211(INR 14.05 Lakh)||Doctor of Physical Therapy|
|University of Pittsburgh||181||USD 14023(INR 11.45 Lakh)||Master of Science in Physical Therapy|
|Western Kentucky University||–||USD 17154(INR 14.00 Lakh)||Master of Science in Exercise Physiology, Kinesiology.|
Let’s talk about the standard requirements for admission given that you have a basic overview of the US universities that offer the Masters in Physiotherapy in the USA;
- Students must have 16 years of education, which means, 10+2+4. In other words, students must have a four-year bachelor’s degree in science, medicine or a related field.
- Students scoring 70% or higher. Some colleges, however, only take applicants with a minimum of 85% into consideration.
- For those interested in pursuing a Masters in Physiotherapy in USA, some universities require at least two to three years of professional experience.
- Students must submit their test results from the GRE, IELTS, or TOEFL.
Ensure you have the following documentation available before submitting your application to a Masters in Physiotherapy in USA. These documents are classified as:
- Higher secondary education certificates and degree certificates from all universities/colleges attended.
- Other Academic Transcripts or achievement certificates.
- English Proficiency Test Scores
- SOP/LORs (Varies from University to university)
- Financial Proofs
The enrollment procedure starts months before the program’s start date. It requires a significant amount of time. The fall intake and the winter intake are typically the two intakes that universities provide to international students. Call our Leverage Edu professionals at 1800 572 000 to learn more about admission intakes, and processes and to expedite your application. Here is a simple path you can follow to fulfil your goal of studying abroad and being accepted to a Master in Physiotherapy in the USA.:
- Get in touch with our experts on 1800 572 000 to shortlist top colleges and programs. Apply to various colleges by starting your application through our single dashboard.
- Gather all your documents like SOPs, essays, certificates, and LORs and exam scores like IELTS, TOEFL, GRE, GMAT, etc
- Accept the offer letter and connect digitally with your professors, classmates, and housemates.
- Get your visa approved and depart for the college of your dreams.
Now let’s look at the documentation required for a student (F-1) visa in the USA.
- Valid passport
- Printed copy of DS-160 form
- Interview appointment letter (original and copy)
- SEVIS fee receipt
- I-20 form (given by your university/college)
- Visa fee payment confirmation slip
Career Prospects and Salary
After obtaining their Masters in Physiotherapy in the United States, candidates are qualified to work at multispecialty hospitals and research facilities. Some of the popular job profiles and their average salary structures are mentioned below;
|Job Profile||Average Annual Salary|
|Physical Therapist||USD 91000(INR 74.30 Lakh)|
|Sports Physio Rehabilitator||USD 78,000(INR 63.69 Lakh)|
|Osteopath||USD 83670(INR 68.32 Lakh)|
|Neuromuscular Physical Therapist||USD 53,000(INR 43.27 Lakh)|
Scholarships for Masters in Physiotherapy in USA
Scholarships are an effective way to lower the price of your international education. By including the scholarships in your college tuition, you can minimize the remaining percentage of your expenses in the USA. Students who want to study for a Masters in Physiotherapy in the USA can find grants, awards, scholarships, and other types of financial aid at numerous universities across the nation.
We have compiled a list of scholarships accessible in the USA after extensive study to save you time and effort:
|Name of the Scholarship||Eligibility||Benefits|
|Merit ScholarshipsUniversity of Pittsburgh||Candidates seeking admissions with outstanding academic records||USD 1950 to USD 4000(INR 1.59 Lakh to INR 3.26 Lakh)|
|AMBUCS Scholarship Program for Therapists||Students enrolled in programmes pertaining to physical therapy and occupational therapy||USD 6000(INR 4.89 Lakh)|
|180 Medical ScholarshipsUniversity of South California||University students that are enrolled full-time||USD 1000(INR 81,654)|
|AED.US Scholarship, George Mason University||Students with outstanding academic records||USD 1500(INR 1.22 Lakh)|
Cost of Living and Studying in USA
The cost of living for an overseas student studying in the United States depends on their lifestyle and kind of residence, whether it is off-campus or on-campus. The costs of living also include your meals, commuting, groceries, supplies, etc. When you add up all these expenses, your monthly spending ranges from 1,300 to 2,500 USD (INR 1.06 Lakh to 2.05 Lakh). If we talk about the Tuition fee, varies from 14,000 USD to 59,000 USD per year (INR 11.43 Lakh – INR 48.17 Lakh).
Must Read: Masters in Project Management in USA
According to US News and World Report, a physiotherapist is the 16th best healthcare career and 20th best job overall, taking into account characteristics like growth rate, employment rate, stress level, and work-life balance.
The best area of concentration for a master’s in physical therapy is thought to be orthopaedics. Community Physiotherapy, Musculoskeletal Disorders and Sports, Community Rehabilitation, Neurological & Psychosomatic Disorders, and other specialities are also in high demand.
The United States, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and some of the countries in western Europe are the best for physiotherapy. These nations have high-quality healthcare systems, thus physiotherapy is taught to a high grade using the most recent research techniques.
The high demand for Masters in Physiotherapy in the USA greatly increases work chances for skilled graduates. But in order to be accepted into the university of your dreams, getting the appropriate advice and information is crucial. Get in touch with our experts at Leverage Edu to know more about studying abroad and ease your admission process. Call us immediately at 1800 57 2000 for a free 30-minute counselling session.