Established in 1754, Columbia University is among the globally renowned Ivy League Colleges. Delivering paramount education with numerous courses and programs on offer, the university has become one of the choicest options among students. As the USA has always served the highest benchmarks of educational excellence, it demands sheer brilliance from students aspiring to carve their way into the universities in the country. Columbia University is featured at the 19th position in the QS World University Rankings 2021 and is amongst the top academic institutions in the USA. Aspiring to pursue a degree at Columbia University? Check out this blog to know about the Columbia University acceptance rate, eligibility criteria, admission process and more!
This Blog Includes:
Columbia University Acceptance Rate
The Columbia University acceptance rate is 6.6% which is very low compared to other academic institutions. However, as per the university’s official website, the Columbia university acceptance rate for the year 2019 was 5.3%, which gives credence to the fact that its admission process is highly competitive in nature.
As per the information and the data mentioned on the official website for the class of 2023, 42,569 candidates send their applications for the first year, out of which a total of 2,247 applicants got accepted and 4,461 applied through Columbia’s early decision program. The derived data aims to familiarize you with cutting-edge competition and you must have a strong application including excellent academic and professional records to land at Columbia University.
Now that you are aware of the statistics related to the acceptance rate of the CU, let us go through the average marks that you must have to get admission there. The university demands SAT scores between 1450 and 1560 or an ACT score of 33 and 35. As per the official website, about 50% of students who get admitted to Columbia University fetch a score of 710 to 760 on the GMAT while 25% are below 710 and the rest 25% earned above 760. Moreover, the university’s average GPA is about 4.14.
Eligibility Criteria for Undergraduate and Postgraduate Programs
Before getting into the details about Columbia University’s acceptance rate, let’s start with some of the quintessential information in pretext to its eligibility criteria which you must know before applying for a course. Glance through the list of major prerequisites for undergraduate and postgraduate programs offered by the university:
Bachelor’s Degree Courses
Columbia University offers numerous bachelor’s degree programs across varied fields and specializations. Though the actual course requirements might differ as per the program, here are some general prerequisites for undergraduate courses offered by Columbia University:
- It is necessary to present your biographical information such as academic records, personal details, extracurricular activities, etc.
- The applicant must have completed 10+2 from a recognized school with the qualifying scores or grades specified for their chosen program.
- The candidates must also provide scores of English proficiency tests like IELTS, TOEFL, etc. as well as standardized tests like ACT exam or SAT exam as required by their chosen course.
- Along with the academic records and test scores, you will also have to submit application essays, a Letter of Recommendation (LOR), as well as a Statement of Purpose (SOP) which will be comprehensively evaluated by the admissions team.
What is the UCLA Acceptance Rate?
Master’s Degree Courses
For those planning to apply for a postgraduate degree at Columbia University, it is essential to familiarize yourself with the admission requirements of your chosen program. Here is an overview of the major eligibility requirements for master’s degree programs at Columbia University:
- A bachelor’s degree from a reputable institution with the qualifying marks mentioned under the requirements of your chosen course
- English language test scores of IELTS/TOEFL, etc
- GMAT/GRE/LSAT/MCAT scores
- SOP and LORs
University of Edinburgh Acceptance Rate
Oxford University Acceptance Rate
University of Melbourne Acceptance Rate
Application Tips For Columbia University
Now that you are familiar with Columbia University’s acceptance rate, here are some useful tips and insights to help you get successfully shortlisted for your dream course.
- Meticulously research the courses of your interest and find the best one which aligns with your aspirations and academic and professional records.
- Draft impressive and well-written SOP and LORs as they have an indispensable role in highlighting your application from others.
- Create a document checklist as per the course requirements and submit them accordingly.
- Your personal statement should be well-written and articulated with crisp and concise information
- Adhere to the admission dates and make sure to complete all the steps of the application process and submit your candidature within the deadlines.
University of Manchester Acceptance Rate
Popular Courses at Columbia University
- Business Analytics
- Executive MBA
- International Management
- Marketing (tie)
- Computer Science
- Fine Arts
Thus, we hope this blog has helped you understand all the vital information in pretext to Columbia University’s acceptance rate. Aiming to pursue your dream course at Columbia University? Our admission experts and mentors at Leverage Edu are here to guide you throughout the admission process of your chosen program, from submitting well-written SOP and LORs to ensuring that you get the best scholarship to fund your dream education! Sign up for a free study abroad consultation session with us now!