Located in Pasadena, California, U.S.A., the university ranks as the fourth best university in the world by QS. Caltech gives a strong emphasis on Science and Engineering. It has 6 academic divisions and has been accredited by the WASC or the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
Every year, candidates apply for a program in the university in huge numbers but only a few get through with it. For instance, for the 2021 class, the varsity received record 7,400 applications and accepted just about 570, with an acceptance rate of 7.7%. Furthermore, admission to
is very rigorous and demands the highest test scores. Maybe this is the reason that some top technology companies like Hotmail, Intel, and Compaq were founded by Caltech alumni.
Let us dig a little deeper to know more about the institution. 1
Top Programs at Caltech
- The 4-year, full-time undergraduate programs focusing instruction in the sciences and arts. Caltech provides students with 24 majors (options) and 6 minors across all 6 divisions. The institute also provides interdisciplinary programs in Geobiology and Astrobiology, Biochemistry, Control and Dynamical Systems, Applied Physics, Bioengineering, Computation and Neural Systems, Environmental Science and Engineering, Planetary Astronomy, and Geochemistry. The most popular options for students are Electrical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science, and Physics.
- The university also provides graduate programs focusing on doctoral studies that are driven by Science, Mathematics, Technology, and Engineering fields. Caltech offers degree programs for the Doctor of Philosophy, Master of Science, Engineer’s Degree, MD/PhD, and BS/MS in addition to the majority in the PhD program. The most popular options include Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, and Electrical Engineering. Applicants for graduate degree programs require a GRE score of 320+.
How is the Caltech campus?
- The 124-acre campus of the institution rests in Pasadena, California, which is around 18 km from downtown Los Angeles. The Pasadena Playhouse District and The Old Town Pasadena are within a walking distance from the campus and hence are frequent getaways for the Caltech students.
- Caltech also offers campus security and safety services. This also includes 24×7 vehicle and foot patrols, late night transport service, lighted pathways, controlled dormitory access, 24×7 emergency telephones etc. Out of all the students at the institute, 27% have their cars on-campus.
Class Structure at Caltech
- California Institute of Technology is a small yet powerful research & teaching institution. With a student-faculty ratio of 3:1, it has nearly 600 research scholars, 300 teaching staff, and 99 percent of the students were in the top 10th of their respective high school graduating class. Also, the freshman retention rate, which is an indicator of students’ satisfaction, is a whopping 97%.
- The total undergraduate enrolment at Caltech is about 980, with 59% male students and 41% female students. At the university, 86% of the students live in college-operated, owned or affiliated residential complexes and 14% of the students live off-campus.
Caltech has been setting up benchmarks for other institutes of technology for over a century. Today, it’s not just an institute, but a brand in itself. This is the reason that top companies from around the globe hire students from this institute every year.
Want to apply for Caltech but are unsure about your chances? Don’t know where and how to begin? Get in touch with one of our experts and find answers to all such questions. Leverage your way to that dream college today!