Choosing the right university plays an important role in every student life who wants to study abroad. The USA is amongst the most popular destinations with its talented universities offering advanced degree programs, unlimited work prospects, and perks like industry network and a posh lifestyle. Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and the University of California Berkeley (UC Berkeley) are usually the top 2 choices for international students. Both universities rank highly and offer a variety of courses. But choosing between the two of the most accredited universities is highly tough! Here is the ultimate showdown between USA’s most popular universities– MIT vs UC Berkeley to help you pick the best university!
|Popular Courses||Aeronautics and Aerospace Studies, Anthropology, Biological Engineering, Humanities and History, Literature and Management, Military Science and Mechanical Engineering, Political Science, and Women & Gender Studies||Social Sciences, Computer and Information Sciences and Support Services, Biological and Biomedical Sciences, Engineering, Mathematics and Statistics, Multi/Interdisciplinary Studies, Business, Management, Marketing, and Related Support Services, Physical Sciences, English Language and Literature/Letters|
|Application Fee||$75 (INR 5,629.16 )||$70 (INR 5,253.88)|
|Intakes||Fall and Spring||Fall, Winter, and Spring|
This Blog Includes:
- MIT vs UC Berkeley: Overview
- MIT vs UC Berkeley: Rankings 2022
- MIT vs UC Berkeley: Popular Courses
- MIT vs UC Berkeley: Application Requirements
- MIT vs UC Berkeley: Cost Of Studying
- MIT vs UC Berkeley: Campus Life
MIT vs UC Berkeley: Overview
Massachusetts of Technology (MIT): With a reputation for being one of the best schools in the world, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) aims to make a better world through innovation, research, and education. This private research university in Cambridge welcomes talented people regardless of where they come from. Graduates from MIT have invented fundamental technologies, launched unique businesses and created millions of jobs in the USA.
University of California Berkeley (UC Berkeley): Founded back in 1868, the University of California Berkeley is one of the most prestigious universities in the US. Ranked 30th by QS World Rankings 2021, UCB is not just a front-runner in terms of academics; the university promotes sports excellence, scientific innovations, and self-development. UCB’s diversity, impressive alumni network, history of student activism, and excellent research institutes make it one of the most sought-after colleges.
Universities that Accept Low GPA for Masters in the USA
MIT vs UC Berkeley: Rankings 2022
The ranking is the first thing that comes to mind when comparing any two universities. Many organizations rank universities all around the world. Here is the comparison of MIT vs UC Berkeley:
|Rankings (2022)||MIT||UC Berkeley|
MIT vs UC Berkeley: Popular Courses
Massachusetts of Technology (MIT)
With an acceptance rate of 7%, MIT is known for its courses, programs, and research opportunities. It provides a world-class study curriculum across its bachelor, master’s, and PhD courses. Here are some of the best sought after courses at MIT:
- Computer Science and IT
- Applied Sciences and Professions
- Natural Sciences and Mathematics
- Business and Management
- Aerospace / Aeronautical / Astronautical Engineering
- Biomedical Engineering / Bioengineering
- Electrical / Electronic / Communications Engineering
University of California Berkeley(UC Berkeley)
UC Berkeley offers more than 130 academic departments and 80 interdisciplinary research units are divided into five colleges such as College of Letters and Science, College of Chemistry, College of Engineering, College of Environmental Design, Rausser College of Natural Resources and Haas School of Business. Here are some of the popular courses offered by UC Berkeley:
- Computer Science
- Cell Biology and Anatomical Sciences
- Political Science and Government
- English Literature and Language
MIT vs UC Berkeley: Application Requirements
Massachusetts of Technology(MIT)
- It is essential that MIT students have performed well in exams like ACT, SAT or TOEFL.
- Fresh applicants also have to submit two SAT II subject tests (for Mathematics and Science).
- All students have to submit 5 short essay questions and 2 LORs as part of their application process.
- Also, there is no specific coursework required for MIT aspirants.
- There are certain majors wherein, applicants are required to submit work portfolios as well.
|TOEFL||Minimum: 90||Recommended: 100|
|IELTS||Minimum: 7||Recommended: 7.5|
|Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic||Minimum: 65||Recommended: 70|
|Cambridge English Qualifications (C1 Advanced or C2 Proficiency)||Minimum: 185||Recommended: 190|
|Duolingo English Test (DET)||Minimum: 120||Recommended: 125|
University of California Berkeley (UC Berkeley)
- For admissions to UCB, all international applicants must graduate secondary school to be eligible, and their academic performance must be over 89% in senior secondary examinations.
- Applicants must appear for the SAT or ACT exam to be eligible. The winning range for SAT score is from 1330-1530, and ACT score is 31 to 35.
- English language proficiency is vital for admissions; all international students have to submit standardized language tests like TOEFL with a preferable score of 100, IELTS with a minimum score of 6.5, and DET with a minimum score of 115.
- All international students must provide proof of financial resources and documentation for their course program’s entire duration. International students must have enough funds to cover semester fees, travel expenses, living expenses, and return fares.
- Another important aspect of the UC Berkeley application is the personal insight questions to gauge the applicant’s personality, non-academic and extracurricular achievements.
- UCB reviews every application holistically by giving equal importance to academic and non-academic achievements. Thus an exceptional SOP plays a significant role in the selection process.
- Interestingly, UCB does not ask for official transcripts, resumes, or letters of recommendation during the application process. They put the onus on applicants to truthfully relay their academic and non-academic achievements. All information is verified and any wrongful discrepancy can lead to cancellation.
MIT vs UC Berkeley: Cost Of Studying
|Universities||Average Tuition Fees|
|Massachusetts of Technology||INR 41- 50 Lakhs|
|University of California Berkeley||INR 30- 40 Lakhs|
MIT vs UC Berkeley: Campus Life
Massachusetts of Technology (MIT)
In order to set an excellent educational record and a wonderful future, MIT chooses its best student on the campus. The university strives for commitment and intensive competition. Their application acceptance is 6.7% which means for every 100 applicants, only 7 get selected. Your essay, educational records, test scores, and LOR have to be vibrant.
The institute is dedicated to providing its students with an education that combines meticulous academic study with a diverse campus community. Moreover, its low student-to-faculty ratio promotes intensive teaching. There are over 1,000 faculty including advisors, coaches, mentors, committee members, and heads of houses who are pioneers in different fields.
Being an integral part of Cambridge, MIT has a vibrant community known for its history, intellectual life, and amazing innovation climate. With its campus housing between Kendall and Central Squares and across the Charles River, the university is positioned in a way to effectively contribute to its community.
University of California Berkeley (UC Berkeley)
The University of California’s flagship campus at Berkeley is now one of the top-ranked universities in the world. Originally charged with providing education (both “practical” and “classical”) to the state’s people, Berkeley gradually established a distinguished faculty (with 31 Nobel prizes held by alumni) and over 184 academic departments and programs.
This California institution became a catalyst of economic growth and social innovation — the place where vitamin E was discovered, a lost Scarlatti opera found, the flu virus identified, and the nation’s first no-fault divorce law drafted. Scholars at Berkeley have conducted groundbreaking research on topics ranging from urban street gangs to basic human nutritional requirements. They have identified why wartime supply ships were failing at sea, invented technologies to build faster and cheaper computer chips, and imaged the infant universe.
This was all about MIT vs UC Berkeley. We hope that this blog covered all the major differences between MIT and UC Berkeley. Still, confused and want to clear your personal doubts regarding the top destinations to study abroad? Call Leverage Edu uni-buddies at 1800-572-000 and book your first counseling session for free!