The United States is a land of great opportunities. It boasts of some of the finest universities with the world’s highest rankings. The education system is very flexible and offers a myriad of courses and programs. Cultural diversity allows students the opportunity to learn alongside people from different regions. Growth amidst diversity provides students to develop strong personality traits and become global citizens. The master’s in Computer Science program in Silicon Valley provides incredible career opportunities. With an acceptance rate of just 16%, New York University gives students the exposure and application-based knowledge that makes them leaders in their fields. This blog provides you with all the information you need about the MS in CS at NYU.
This Blog Includes:
- About NYU
- Why Choose NYU for MS in CS?
- MS in CS at NYU: Overview
- Sample Subset of Courses
- NYU MS CS: Admission Procedure
- Fee Structure for NYU MS CS
- MS in CS at NYU: Entry Requirements
- MS in CS at NYU: Minimum Prerequisite Background
- NYU MS CS: Documents Required
- Career and Placement after MS in CS at NYU
- NYU MS CS: Scholarship Grants & Financial Aids
New York University was founded in 1831. Ever since its inception, it has been one of the top research universities in the world. Students from over 133 countries are currently studying at NYU. The faculty, staff, and students are from varied backgrounds which benefits the students by providing them with a wider perspective of people. More than 50,000 students are engaged in research at NYU. The QS World University Rankings put NYU at the 46th position. Times Higher Education ranks New York University on the 26th spot.
Why Choose NYU for MS in CS?
- New York University’s MS in Computer Science allows students to work with industry experts and learn from them.
- The program is application-based and so for the entire duration of the course, students explore various industries and interact with professionals as well.
- Professional-level courses help students in gaining a solid grounding not just in the fundamentals of computer science but also in professional-level courses.
- There are opportunities for choosing a specialization and working on assignments, individual and group projects under these.
MS in CS at NYU: Overview
The Masters in Computer Science (MSCS) program at NYU encourages students to be better thinkers, programmers, and better system architects. It is a full-time 2-year program that includes industry visits and internships. The course provides students with the knowledge that would help them become great assets to the industry. The MS in computer science at NYU aims at allowing students to master the foundational subjects and then build upon specialization with the help of application-based projects. A deep understanding of various aspects of computer sciences such as security and cryptography, graphics, scientific computing, etc are just some of them.
Must Read: Computer Science vs Software Engineering
Sample Subset of Courses
Below is a small subset of the classes offered in the MSCS program.
|Foundational Classes||Capstone Classes||Other CS Classes|
|Fundamental Algorithms||Advanced Database Systems||Networks and Distributed Systems|
|Programming Languages||Compiler Construction||Introduction to Cryptography|
|Operating Systems||Software Engineering||Applied Cryptography and Network Security|
NYU MS CS: Admission Procedure
To apply, go to their website and fill out an online application. You can submit all items electronically when utilizing the online application.
Although the online approach is simple, if you have any concerns about the application process, please visit the Application Resource Center.
You must make arrangements with Educational Testing Services (ETS) to electronically transmit your GRE and TOEFL/IELTS results to our Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS). For the GRE and TOEFL, our institution code is 2596. For the GRE, you do not need to need a particular department code. For IELTS, contact your test center and request that your results be delivered electronically to New York University’s Graduate School of Arts and Science in New York, NY. It is not necessary to have an institutional code. The GMAT and LSAT will not be recognized as GRE replacements.
You may provide unauthorized copies of your test results on these tests to speed up the processing of your application. However, we must acquire certified ETS results before the deadline for acceptance.
Applicants should note the following:
- Students with a BA/BS degree are eligible to apply to the Ph.D. program immediately.
- For master’s students, there is no financial support from NYU or the department.
- Except for non-degree applicants, GRE scores are necessary.
Fee Structure for NYU MS CS
|Category||Fees (USD)||Fees (INR)|
|NYU Room and Board||$19,244||14,30,038|
|Travel and Personal Expenses||$4,618||3,43,167|
Also Read: Cost of Studying in USA
MS in CS at NYU: Entry Requirements
- Three foundational courses in algorithms, programming languages, and operating systems and maintain a B- (2.667) or better GPA in the foundational courses attempted.
- Two courses in different designated application areas, such as graphics and databases.
- One course among the capstone courses provides substantial programming exercises.
- An MS student must pass one course in two of the following four designated application areas: computation for science and society; graphics; intelligent systems; and databases.
- Strong GRE Quantitative and Analytical scores. (Typically acceptable scores are near 160 for the quantitative section or 4.0 or better on the new Analytical Writing section.)
- Positive, specific recommendations.
- Strong grades in relevant courses.
- TOEFL, if required, above 620 (paper) or 260 (computer), or 100 (TOEFL)
- IELTS, if required, minimum band score of 7.0
Register now for the Leverage Live session to ace your IELTS/TOEFL scores!
MS in CS at NYU: Minimum Prerequisite Background
The minimum prerequisite background for admission to the MS program consists of:
- Languages: Deep working knowledge of C and familiarity with object-oriented concepts and work with some object-oriented language such as Java or C++.
- Data structures and mathematics: Understanding and working knowledge of pointers, lists, stacks, queues, trees, arrays, and recursion; induction, order of magnitude growth, probability and elementary combinatorics, set notation.
- Working familiarity with windows and Unix.
- Knowledge of assembly language (e.g. Intel or Motorola) sufficient to understand self-modifying code.
NYU MS CS: Documents Required
- A completed application, including a Statement of Academic Purpose
- Three letters of recommendation
- GRE scores for all programs (GMAT or LSAT will not be accepted)
- TOEFL or IELTS scores for any student whose native language or medium of undergraduate or graduate instruction is not English
- A resume or CV of your work experience
Career and Placement after MS in CS at NYU
- IT consultant
- Cybersecurity consultant
- Information systems manager
- Database administrator
- Multimedia programmer
- Systems analyst
- Games developer
NYU MS CS: Scholarship Grants & Financial Aids
|Innovation in Education Scholarship – La Tutors 123||₹37720|
|(ISC)² Women’s Cybersecurity Scholarships||Variable|
|Go Clean Scholarship||₹264040|
|Ellis R. Ott Scholarship for Applied Statistics and Quality Management||Variable|
To help you become a better thinker, programmer, and language designer, as well as to get a solid grasp of contemporary technologies. Our idea is to require you to master essential concepts before allowing you to specialize in areas of your choosing.
A list of the items you must submit may be found in the Admissions Information section. All aspects of your application should be sent simultaneously to assist speed up the process; however, GSAS will accept credentials that come separately.
Whether you wish to earn a degree or not, you must formally apply to take courses in the department. The Graduate School accepts applications for non-degree programs.
Strong GRE scores, excellent references, and outstanding grades are all required. Specifics can be found in the Admissions Information section.
This was all about the NYU MSCS program. If you are someone who is planning to pursue your Masters in Computer Science degree at NYU, then it’s time to fasten your seatbelts and pull up your socks! The experts at Leverage Edu are just a call away to provide you with all the guidance and mentorship that will make your dream to study abroad a reality! Call us on 1800572000 and book your FREE meeting with our counselors today!