GRE conducted by ETS comprises a vast GRE Syllabus that evaluates candidates on Quantitative, Analytical, and Verbal skills. While preparing for the GRE test, one must consider the best GRE study material and guidance. The correct choice of study material and following the right way to prepare for GRE is going to be the defining factors for getting a high GRE score. In this blog, we will look at some of the best GRE tips and tricks along with the GRE test prep that can help you in scoring good in the exam!
GRE Exam: Quick Highlights
|Exam Name||Graduate Record Examination (GRE)|
|Conducting Body||ETS (Educational Testing Service)|
|Mode of Exam||Computer and paper-based|
|Score Range||130–170 (Verbal Reasoning score range)
130–170 (Quantitative Reasoning score range)
0–6 (Analytical Writing score range)
Also Read: How to Prepare for GRE Online?
GRE Test Prep: Tips & Tricks
GRE tests your ability to prioritize and arrange the material provided to you in a way that allows you to answer problems quickly. The following GRE preparation strategies can help you get your best results:
Understand the Format of the Question Paper
By knowing the exam format and guidelines inside and out, you can save time and avoid surprises on test days. Knowing the exam format is an important element of any GRE preparation strategy. However, going above to truly learn the guidelines for each part and question type earns additional rewards.
Attempt Easy Questions First
All GRE questions within a subsection are worth the same amount of points. As a result, it makes sense to start with the simple points. So, on exam day, if you come across a question that appears complicated or difficult (or maybe something you don’t want to do right now), just skip it! Move on to the following question after using the marking function to indicate that you didn’t answer it.
Attempt All the Questions
On the GRE, there is no penalty for guessing i.e., there is no negative marking. As a result, it’s in your best interests to guess every question. It’s excellent if you have time to make a rapid, educated prediction. But, even if you have to select some answers at random when you just have 30 seconds left, do it! You can only get points in this game and not lose any.
Learn the Ability to Eliminate
Don’t worry if you’re unsure about the proper response to a question. Instead, use the process of elimination to rule out as many wrong responses as possible. Even if you cannot pinpoint the exact answer with confidence, every alternative you remove increases your chances of guessing properly.
It’s important to read questions carefully unless you’re performing some quick guessing to finish a section. Nothing is more frustrating than losing points because you misunderstood a “not” or “unless” or formatted your solution to a math problem incorrectly! The GRE frequently assumes that students would make casual reading errors and includes dummy response options that correlate to such faults.
Re-check your Answers
Make a fast walk-through to check your answers after you finish a subsection if you have time. This will help you identify any thoughtless errors, such as accidentally marking the wrong answer or misunderstanding the question.
Keep your Scratch Paper Clean
On the GRE, you are allowed to use as much scratch paper as you like. You should, however, keep it clean to get the most out of it. This entails writing in a tidy and orderly manner. Otherwise, you risk making mistakes in your work, particularly in the math portion.
Don’t Lose your Calm
Taking the GRE can be stressful, especially if you are faced with a particularly tough question or feel as if you have forgotten anything you learned. The key to success, though, is to maintain your composure. Allowing your temporary discomfort to escalate out of control is not a good idea. Now it’s time to move on to the next question. Tell yourself you can do it and that you’re doing a fantastic job. Otherwise, you risk losing concentration, which may be disastrous.
Take a break, even if you don’t believe you need one. Taking a pause just to take a breather and relax your brain is reason enough to do so. However, you should take advantage of this opportunity to have a snack and drink some water. If your blood sugar drops, you’ll feel tired, and dehydration might make it difficult to concentrate.
Write Answers in the Correct Format
Some GRE questions need answers to be submitted in a specified manner. You may, for example, be required to provide your response in certain units. You could pick the wrong answer on a multiple-choice question or write down the wrong thing on a Numeric Entry question if you don’t convert to the right units! Don’t throw away easy points by forgetting to convert inches to feet or something similar.
Also Read: List of GRE Study Material
ETS GRE Test Prep
You must take the GRE test preps, which is accepted by hundreds of graduate schools across the world, whether you want to pursue a master’s degree in law, business, or any other field. Most experts recommend that you solve as many GRE sample papers and GRE question papers as possible in order to ace your GRE exam.
ETS provides a variety of study materials for students, ranging from free study materials to low-cost books and practise exams. Aspirants can register for the GRE on the official website and have access to exam preparation materials created by GRE professionals.
- Find here the GRE Math Test Prep
- Find here the GRE Verbal Reasoning Test Prep
- Find here the GRE Analytical Writing Test Prep
- Click here for ETS books and resources to refer
Who Should Consider a GRE Test Prep Course?
The GRE is required for admission to most graduate programmes. The GRE is tough, and high scores are necessary. Not only is your GRE score important for admissions, but it can also affect the amount of financing you receive. GRE results are also used by many graduate schools to determine scholarships, fellowships, and academic financial help.
Factors To Consider
- Improvement – Take a free GRE practise exam to evaluate where you are and where you need to improve. A GRE prep course may be an excellent choice if you need to enhance your score.
- Study discipline – if you have difficulties sticking to a study plan on a regular basis, a prep course will be beneficial.
- Need for encouragement – a prep course with an instructor (either in person or online) is an excellent alternative if you need encouragement, feedback, and motivation.
- Learning style — if you’ve had experience studying with books in the past, a self-study method with a solid GRE prep book could be the best option for you.
- Budget – GRE preparation classes may be costly. If you’re on a budget, our best value selection or self-study with GRE prep books is a good option.
Benefits of GRE Test Prep Courses
- Score improvement – the best GRE prep courses will guarantee a 5 point or more increase in your score.
- Comprehensive Study Plans – GRE prep courses will assist you in creating and sticking to a personalised study programme that works for you.
- Identify your strengths and weaknesses – the finest GRE prep courses provide advanced assessments to help you figure out which areas to concentrate on.
- Simulates the real GRE – The online examinations included in a GRE prep course are excellent at simulating the real GRE. Magoosh’s dashboard compares you to other students and forecasts your GRE scores.
- Quality teachers — real instructors will assist you with effective techniques, encouragement, and one-on-one feedback in courses that feature them.
We hope this blog helped you with the GRE Test Prep. If you have been planning to study abroad and take the GRE test, connect with our expert tutors at Leverage Live as they will help you crack the test and take you one step closer to your dream university.