In the contemporary world, Media has a significant impact on people and society. There are several types of mass media, broadcasting all kinds of information across platforms in the world. With the advancements happening in Media technologies, this field is becoming more popular in terms of career among the students. One such advanced phenomenon which is a combination of computer networking, media content and information technology is Media Convergence. Through this blog, we aim to explain the concept and Media Convergence and its counterparts.
This Blog Includes:
What is Media Convergence?
Media Convergence is known broadly as the coming together of computing, telecommunication, and media in a digital environment. In 1978, the term Convergence was first coined by Nicholas Negroponte which stated that modern devices in combination with technology, social media, and internet form the basic structure of Convergence in media, It brings together the “3 C’s”,i.e communication, computing, and content which is a direct result of the digitization of media content and high usage of the Internet.
The most popular examples of Media Convergence are:
- Smartphones (converging camera, music, the internet, books, and all other media together)
- Online Radio (converging radio with the Internet)
- E-books (converging paperbacks with the digital technology)
- News Websites and Apps
Media convergence has proved to be beneficial in the digital era which is filled with content seeking our attention continuously. Here are the most important advantages of Media Convergence:
- The instant availability of news and moment-based content is one of the top advantages of media convergence between traditional media and new media.
- The content producers can specifically target the best audience or group they are aiming towards by publishing customized content.
- With media convergence, the audience have also become the creator themselves. From memes to social media posts, media convergence has truly been beneficial to integrate audience on a global level.
- Another important benefit of media convergence that it has broadened the limitations of traditional media by blending it with new media, thus providing instant and latest content on an international level.
- With the media convergence between traditional media and new media, the cost of digital marketing has also become economical thus making this process beneficial and affordable.
Types of Media Convergence
Media convergence is an umbrella term that can be defined in the context of technological, industrial, social, textual, and political terms.
The three main types of Media Convergence are:
- Technological Convergence
- Economic Convergence
- Cultural Convergence
Technological convergence is a term that describes the layers of abstraction which enables different technologies to interoperate efficiently as a convergent system. It is when new technologies are created and take over from past technologies and perform the same task in a more efficient manner. Technological convergence is the combination of computing, communication, and content around networked digital media platforms. It further aims to convert existing media into a digital form of technology, for example, viewing a book online (E-books, Kindle). We have compiled some of the basic fundamentals of Technological convergence below:
- Technologies convergence is when new technologies are created that mostly take over or get upgraded from past technologies and perform the same task but in a more advance manner, for example, people used to listen to music using the radio but now technological convergence but now the convergence has evolved majority use smartphones.
- Technological convergence is the tendency that as technology sometimes evolves towards performing a similar task.
Just like the general definition of Economic convergence which suggests that countries with lower GDPs are going to grow faster than countries with higher GDP, the Economic media convergence allows a single company to target larger interest groups through various kinds of media. Some of its key features are:
- In Economic convergence large companies use old and new media to their advantage by selling merchandise or the rights of the product.
- It is the horizontal integration of the entertainment industry companies such as Sony, AOL, Time Warner now has an interest in film, TV books, games, and the internet, music real estate, etc.
This concept of media convergence occurs when two or more cultures adopt each other’s traits and become more alike. Those Increasing similarities between cultures are not limited to beliefs of consumer brands and media. Some of the major forms of cultural media convergence are:
- Acculturation: When weaker among two cultures adopt traits from more dominant culture e.g Indians mostly speaking the English language.
- Assimilation: When original traits of weaker culture are completely erased and replaced by traces of more dominant culture e.g war immigrants no longer speak the native language.
Importance of Media Convergence
Wondering why media convergence is important? It is important because it blends together content, communication technologies and computer networks thus leading to the immediate transformation of many established industries, services as well as work practices and through all this, new forms of content are born.
Here are the key points why Media Convergence is important:
- It transforms the modes of communication, news reporting, and journalism. For example, Media journalism.
- It led to cross-media since a huge amount of content is now being accessed through portable devices. For instance, news organizations no longer simply rely on print media or AV transmission.
- Many new media forms are born like news portals, podcasts, news feeds, blogging, websites and mobile applications.
- The newly converged media platforms provide online access to the archives, and endless opportunities for users to comment on the story or provide links to relevant material.
Explore Digital Media Marketing as a Career!
3Cs of Media Convergence
The 3Cs of Media Convergence are Computing, Communications, and Content. Media Convergence unites these 3Cs of Computing, Communications and Content and is an immediate result of digitization and promotion of the Internet. To put it even more simply, the convergence of Content with Communication technologies and Computer Networks is what leads to Media Convergence.
Now if you are interested in making your career in Media and got a media-related degree, you can make your career in the following fields which use media convergence:
- Travel Journalism
- Staff or Freelance Writers
- News Analysts
Find out which one is a better course through our blog Journalism vs Mass Communication!
Hope, this blog helped you acquire the basic knowledge of Media convergence. \If you are passionate about making your career in this field and are confused about how to go about it, then get in touch with experts at Leverage Edu. We will help you in choosing the Top Mass Communication Colleges but also will help you to choose the right career path!