It is unusual to meet someone who does not love playing video games or online games. Everyone, whether a child or an adult, enjoys spending hours on their phones, laptops, and tablets playing endless games. But have you ever considered how a specific game manages to captivate the attention of its players, causing them to get hooked to it? Of doubt, the visuals and interface play a significant influence on the popularity of a game, but gaming is a large universe in and of itself that many of us are familiar with. With the introduction of digital and creative technology, a career in gaming has grown by exploring new genres and introducing more innovative and engaging designs. Gaming has become one of the most popular occupations in the digital era, and we want to provide you a thorough guide on how you may pursue a career in gaming, including key courses and colleges, as well as the prospects it includes, through this blog.
This Blog Includes:
Why Pursue a Career in Gaming?
The gaming business is projected to be worth $100 billion globally and is the largest section of the entertainment industry; it outperforms the movies and music categories alone. The Indian gaming business is presently worth more than $300 million, or around Rs 2000 crores. India boasts the world’s biggest young population, with 1.3 billion people, two-thirds of whom are under the age of 35. With this particular edge, India has the potential to become one of the world’s most important gaming marketplaces.
Having said that, with a plethora of job options, a career in gaming is far from easy. Though it is a wonderful blend of technology and creativity, the competition in the game business is astoundingly intense and far beyond anyone’s expectations. As far as the stats are concerned, gaming is one of the fastest-growing businesses in the world, and many brilliant young aspirants from all backgrounds rush to this sector in quest of a successful career in gaming.
Interesting Fact: According to the research ‘Online gaming in India: Reaching a New Pinnacle‘ by KPMG and Google, the Indian gaming sector is expected to add 190 million gamers by 2021. Because the market drivers of this industry are rising household income, increased smartphone accessibility in rural and urban areas, and affordable and cost-effective technological systems, internet penetration currently stands at 31 percent and is expected to rise to 53 percent of the total population by 2021. This indicates that the gaming industry in India is anticipated to grow in the future years.
Types of Gaming
Gaming is a large field that includes a variety of categories, which are listed below:
- Arcade Game
- Console Game
- Mobile Game
- Personal Computer Game
- Handheld Game
- Online Game
Grab a snack and read about SouL MortaL, the PUBG Influencer of India!
Popular Gaming Courses
Here is an extensive list of the popular courses and programs that students can pursue in order to kickstart their career in gaming.
Certificate and Diploma Courses
- Diploma in Game Development
- Diploma in Game Programming
- Advanced Diploma in Game Art & 3D Game Content Creation
- Advance Diploma in Game Programming
- Advance Diploma in Game Design and Development Application
- Diploma in Production Gaming
- Certificate in Gaming
- Certificate in Game Engineering
- Certificate course in Game Art & Design
- Diploma in Animation, Gaming, and Special Effect
- Diploma in Game Design
- Diploma in Game Design and Integration
- Foundation Degree in Game Art and Design
- Associate of Applied Arts and Sciences- Game Art and Design
- BSc (Hons) Games Development
- BA (Hons) Games Designing
- BA Games Enterprises
- Bachelor of Creative Media Production (Game Development)
- BSc Computer Science- Game Software Development
- B.Sc. in Gaming
- Bachelors in Media Animation & Design (BMAD)
- BSc. Animation & Gaming
- B.Tech in Computer Science and Game Development
- BA in Animation & Computer Graphics
- BA in Digital Filmmaking & Animation
- BSc. in Graphics, Animation & Gaming
- MA Games Enterprises
- Masters in Game Development
- MSc and MEng in High-Performance Graphics and Games Engineering
- MSc Game Science and Design
- MSc Computer Games Technology
- Integrated MSc. in Multimedia & Animation with Game Art & Design
- MSc. in Game Design and Development
- MSc. in Multimedia and Animation
- PhD in Gaming
- PhD in Digital Media Arts
Also Read: Game Designing Courses After 12th
Top Universities Offering Courses in Gaming
As the growth rate of talented individuals hustling to try their luck in a career in gaming increases exponentially, more and more universities have introduced diverse courses in this specialized domain. Enlisted below are some of the highly renowned and world-class universities offering a wide range of programs for those wanting to pursue a career in gaming.
|University||Country||QS World University Rankings 2022|
|Trinity College Dublin||Ireland||101|
|University of Southern California||USA||=112|
|University of Plymouth||UK|
|University of Limerick||Ireland||501-510|
|University of New South Wales||Australia||43|
|University of South Australia||Australia||=326|
|University of Alberta||Canada||126|
|Michigan State University||USA||157|
|Western Sydney University||Australia||=494|
Top Colleges in India for Gaming Courses
Some of the best colleges and institutes in India to pursue a course in gaming are mentioned below:
- Bharti Vidyapeeth University, Pune
- iPixio Animation College, Bangalore
- Animaster Academy – College for excellence in Animation, Bangalore
- Academy of Animation and Gaming, Noida
- Maya Academy of Advanced Cinematic (MAAC), Mumbai
- Arena Animations, New Delhi
- Zee Institute of Creative Arts, Bangalore
- Asian Institute of Gaming and Animation, Bangalore
- Global Institute of Gaming and Animation – GIGA
- Eden Animation & Gaming Academy, Bikaner
- IIFA Multimedia (Institute for Interior Fashion and Animation)
Confused If A Career in Gaming Is The Right One for You?
Book a Free Consultation & Get Your Queries Answered!
When it comes to pursuing a successful career in gaming, it is necessary for all the aspirants to have the prerequisite knowledge and skills to design a full-fledged game. Given below is the academic path you need to take to enter the gaming industry with the utmost ease.
- Students must have a minimum qualifying requirement of 10+2 or its equivalent for a bachelor’s degree.
- A relevant educational qualification in the disciplines of animation, graphic design, game design/technology, and so on is required for a successful career in the gaming business.
- The students aiming to pursue a career in gaming should have at least the basic knowledge in programming languages such as C++, Java, etc at the school level.
- Upon securing the exceptional aggregate percentage at the school level, the aspirants can choose from a multitude of Game Designing Courses After 12th offered at certificate, associate, bachelor’s, or master’s level.
- If you are aspiring to go into the technical and programming work in gaming or a master’s degree, you should have a bachelor’s degree like BTech or a Bachelor of Engineering in the same field of study with aggregate marks of atleast 50% to 60%.
Career & Jobs Prospects
Building and designing these sorts of games is a step-by-step procedure that involves a range of activities. The following are some of the most frequent career opportunities or job prospects in the gaming industry:
- Game Management
- Game Artists
- Game Programmers
- Network Programmer
- Game Developer
- Game Designer
- Game Testers
- Game/ Script Writers
- Audio/ Sound Engineers
- Character Animator
- Art Designer
- Freelance Game Developer
- Game Modeller
- Level Designer
- Game Quality Assurance Tester
- Interactive Media Designer
A career in gaming rewards young and creative professionals with high salary packages. The pay scale and growth in this industry are determined by how successfully the programme is conceptualized and developed. As a trainee, one is typically paid between Rs 7,000/- and Rs 10,000/- per month. Within a short period of time, depending on the task, it might range from Rs.30,000/- to 90,000/- per month. The pay of individuals who work as freelancers is determined by who you work for, and you may make a lot of money for a project. The pay will also be boosted with an increase in work experience, educational qualifications, skills, and/or planning to work abroad.
Did you know? A video game designer’s annual pay in India is about Rs. 4.5 lakhs, depending on the working company and abilities. A video game designer in another country may expect to earn an annual income of $58,000. You may easily acquire a high-paying career if you have strong game creation abilities.
We hope that this blog has provided you with the essentials of building a promising career in gaming. If you feel confused about which Take the help of Leverage Edu’s AI Course Finder tool to explore a wide range of courses offered in Game Design and it will suggest you the best suitable combinations of program and university that align with your skills, interests, and preferences to help you take an informed step towards a rewarding career.