Whether for an exam or for an important communication at the professional front, letter writing is both scoring as well as a paramount need in your everyday life. A letter of recommendation or a resignation letter or even a relieving letter – all of the three require good letter writing skills! Sometimes, writing a simple, informal letter can also be confusing. There can never be sufficient information on how to write the perfect letter along with the right font, spacing and formatting! So here is a step by step guide to help you write or improve your letter writing skills, for any important day or exam of your life.
This Blog Includes:
What is a Formal and Informal Letter?
Let us have a look at some significant differences between formal and informal types of letters:
|FORMAL LETTER||INFORMAL LETTER|
|It is written for professional or business purposes||It is usually drafted for personal purposes|
|Completely formal writing tone is used||Casual and emotional writing style is common in this type of letter writing|
|It should be precise and to the point||Informal letters can be lengthy|
|Example– Clients, College or Institute||Example– Relatives or Friends|
Formal Letter Writing: Format and Sample
While writing a formal letter, it is mandatory to stick to the format and follow a subtle and professional tone as these letters are written for official purposes and contain a professional issue to talk about. Following is a format of formal letter writing:
- Sender’s Address: Mention the complete and accurate sender’s address in the top left section.
- Date: It is mandatory to put in the date just below the address.
- Reciever’s Address: The appropriate address of the receiver has to be mentioned in the similar order of sender’s with the exact designation of the concerned person.
- Subject: Subject is basically a one-line summary of the issue that is mentioned in the letter. It should be written very briefly within one line.
- Greetings: Keeping in mind that it is a formal letter, the salutation must be formal and respectful. You can use Sir or Madam in this case.
- Letter Body: It is the most important part of the letter. You can divide the content into two or three paragraphs as per the details. It should be formal and to the point.
- Signature: While closing the letter, you can use ‘Yours Faithfully’ and then mention your name in the end.
Also Read: Short Term Courses After 10th
To clear all your letter writing doubts, given below is a sample of how to craft an impeccable formal letter:
Exploring Letter Writing for English? don’t forget to go through Message Writing: Examples, Format & Samples.
Informal Letter Writing: Format and Sample
As such, there is no strict format for writing an informal letter but it is advised to follow the usual pattern. As mentioned above, an informal letter is written to friends, relatives, classmates, etc. If you want to learn and score well in your English exam, here is a general pattern of informal letter writing that you can follow:
- Address: Begin the letter by writing your address on the left-hand side of the sheet. It is mandatory to mention the address so that the receiver can reply back and it is written on the top left.
- Date: Immediately after the address, the date has to be written. It is compulsory to write and it should be in an expanded format.
- Salutation: Be it informal or formal letter writing, you should greet the person you are writing the letter to. For example, if you are writing a letter to your friend then, you can use ‘Dear Kaysha’.
- First Paragraph: Since it is the introductory paragraph, you can start by asking about their well being in a lighter and casual tone.
- Second Paragraph: This is the main body where you can state your affairs. You can use a friendly tone for friends but if you are writing to an elderly relative, the tone should be polite and subtle.
- Third Paragraph: It is the last paragraph where you have to summarise the message you wanted to convey through the letter. Conclude it with a goodbye message followed by a short statement mentioning that you await the reply.
- Signature: While signing off, you can use a phrase like Best, Kindly, Lots of Love, etc.
|A 43/ Pocket A|
New Delhi 110025
11th November 2020
How are you? I hope you are in good health and keeping safe. How are Uncle and Aunty? I hope they are keeping healthy too.
My psychology teacher in school has assigned me with the prestigious job of working and researching on a case study. It will be credited for my final result! I wanted to tell you that i have chosen you as my case study and would love to write about you and know you even more, since you are my best friend.
The entire study will involve me coming over to your house for two to three days consecutively and understanding your habits, what affects you the most, both negatively and positively. It will be an engaging and exciting communication to share with you.
I hope you don’t mind me selecting you as my case study and are looking forward to it just as much as I am. Please give my love to Geetika didi.
Know All About Acing English for Competitive Exams!
Thus, letter writing is an art in which one can excel by sufficient practice. If you are clueless about how to proceed after class 12th, then take the assistance of the professionals at Leverage Edu who will not only guide you in choosing the right university but will also help in completing the admission related formalities!