Whether for an exam or for important communication at the professional front, letter writing is both scoring as well as a paramount need in your everyday life. A letter of recommendation or a resignation letter or even a relieving letter – all of the three require good letter writing skills! Sometimes, writing a simple, informal letter can also be confusing. There can never be sufficient information on how to write the perfect letter along with the right font, spacing and formatting! So here is a step by step guide to help you write or improve your letter writing skills, for any important day or exam of your life.
This Blog Includes:
Type of Letter
Here are the different types of letters:
- Chain letter
- Letters patent
- Audio letter
- Cover letter
- Recommendation letter and the closely related employment reference letter
- Letter of credence
- Crossed letter
- Informal letter
- Poison pen letter
- Hate mail
- Business letter
- Form letter
- Letter of intent
- Hybrid mail (semi-electronic delivery)
- Letter of thanks
- Dear John letter
- Love letter
- Cease and desist letter
- Complaint letter
- Query letter
- Letter of resignation
- Letter to the editor
- National Letter of Intent
- Open letter
- Letter of introduction
- Letter of marque
What is a Formal and Informal Letter?
Let us have a look at some significant differences between formal and informal types of letters:
|FORMAL LETTER||INFORMAL LETTER|
|It is written for professional or business purposes||It is usually drafted for personal purposes|
|Completely formal writing tone is used||Casual and emotional writing style is common in this type of letter writing|
|It should be precise and to the point||Informal letters can be lengthy|
|Example– Clients, College or Institute||Example– Relatives or Friends|
Types of Letter Writing
Let us talk about the different types of Letter Writing in a broader spectrum of formal and informal letters. Let us check some of the types of letter writing other than a formal and informal letter:
- Business Letter: This letter is written for business purposes containing information like quotations, orders, claims, complaints, letters for collection, etc. These letters are extremely formal and follow a proper structure
- Official Letter: This letter is written to inform offices, branches, subordinates. These are for official information like rules, regulations, events, procedures, etc
- Social Letter: A social letter is a personal letter written on the occasion of a special event. This includes invitation, congratulatory letter, condolence letter, etc
- Circular Letter: A circular letter announces information to a large number of people. The letter is circulated to a large group to share information on change of address, change in management, the retirement of a partner etc.
- Employment Letter: It is the type of letters that are written for employment process like joining letter, promotion letter, application letter, etc
While writing a formal letter, it is mandatory to stick to the format and follow a subtle and professional tone as these letters are written for official purposes and contain a professional issue to talk about. Following is a format of formal letter writing:
- Sender’s Address: Mention the complete and accurate sender’s address in the top left section.
- Date: It is mandatory to put in the date just below the address.
- Reciever’s Address: The appropriate address of the receiver has to be mentioned in the similar order of sender’s with the exact designation of the concerned person.
- Subject: Subject is basically a one-line summary of the issue that is mentioned in the letter. It should be written very briefly within one line.
- Greetings: Keeping in mind that it is a formal letter, the salutation must be formal and respectful. You can use Sir or Madam in this case.
- Letter Body: It is the most important part of the letter. You can divide the content into two or three paragraphs as per the details. It should be formal and to the point.
- Signature: While closing the letter, you can use ‘Yours Faithfully’ and then mention your name in the end.
Also Read: Short Term Courses After 10th
Write a Letter to the Editor
To clear all your letter writing doubts, given below is a sample of how to craft an impeccable formal letter to the editor:
Exploring Letter Writing for English? don’t forget to go through Message Writing: Examples, Format & Samples.
As such, there is no strict format for writing an informal letter but it is advised to follow the usual pattern. As mentioned above, an informal letter is written to friends, relatives, classmates, etc. If you want to learn and score well in your English exam, here is a general pattern of informal letter writing that you can follow:
- Address: Begin the letter by writing your address on the left-hand side of the sheet. It is mandatory to mention the address so that the receiver can reply back and it is written on the top left.
- Date: Immediately after the address, the date has to be written. It is compulsory to write and it should be in an expanded format.
- Salutation: Be it informal or formal letter writing, you should greet the person you are writing the letter to. For example, if you are writing a letter to your friend then, you can use ‘Dear Kaysha’.
- First Paragraph: Since it is the introductory paragraph, you can start by asking about their well being in a lighter and casual tone.
- Second Paragraph: This is the main body where you can state your affairs. You can use a friendly tone for friends but if you are writing to an elderly relative, the tone should be polite and subtle.
- Third Paragraph: It is the last paragraph where you have to summarise the message you wanted to convey through the letter. Conclude it with a goodbye message followed by a short statement mentioning that you await the reply.
- Signature: While signing off, you can use a phrase like Best, Kindly, Lots of Love, etc.
Write a Letter to your Friend
|A 43/ Pocket A
New Delhi 110025
11th November 2020
My psychology teacher in the school has assigned me with the prestigious job of working and researching on a case study. It will be credited for my final result! I wanted to tell you that i have chosen you as my case study and would love to write about you and know you even more since you are my best friend.
The entire study will involve me coming over to your house for two to three days consecutively and understanding your habits, what affects you the most, both negatively and positively. It will be an engaging and exciting communication to share with you.
I hope you don’t mind me selecting you as my case study and are looking forward to it just as much as I am. Please give my love to Geetika didi.
Know All About Acing English for Competitive Exams!
Application for Leave in School
Subject: One day leave application
I am writing this to inform you that I will be taking a leave on ____ (date) as I have to _____ (mention reasons like attend a wedding, visit a friend, attend a seminar or event, etc.). I have completed all my tasks for the day and would be in touch with my team members if my assistance is required anytime.
More Topics Under Writing
- Feature Writing
- Summary Writing
- Difference Between Precis and Summary
- Leave Application
- Message Writing
- Precis Writing
- Travel Writer
- Report Writing
- Script Writing
- Article Writing
Thus, letter writing is an art in which one can excel by sufficient practice. If you are clueless about how to proceed after class 12th, then take the assistance of the professionals at Leverage Edu who will not only guide you in choosing the right university but will also help in completing the admission related formalities!