The English syllabus for secondary-level education until the 10th grade aims to form a good foundation for writing, reading and comprehension amongst students. From letter and article writing to message and email writing, there are a multitude of topics that focus on furnishing the student’s writing skills as well as their understanding of the tone and format for drafting a written document in every situation. One such topic under the section of writing skills is Message Writing which equips students with the knowledge of forming the right tone as well as content for a message. Through this blog, we will take a look at what this topic entails, the format that is usually followed as well as some samples to understand it better.
Know All About Acing English for Competitive Exams!
This Blog Includes:
Understanding Message Writing
A message refers to a brief piece of information which you write down for a person when you cannot contact them directly. For instance, when you were not at home, your friend called and informed your sister about the cancellation of a plan for the next day. So, your sister will leave you a message before going out to inform you about your friend’s call. Messages can be passed through different mediums, be it phones, texts or emails. But for school students, a generic form of message writing is included under the English syllabus. For this type of writing, they get to learn about retrieving and interpreting information through the conversation given. Then, they are taught about writing the basic inputs into a well-drafted format.
Format of Message Writing
Since message writing is an essential part of the writing section in English exams, students are advised to follow a uniform format. Otherwise, you can lose marks for wrong formatting. Let’s take a quick view of the generic format for message writing in schools:
- Heading: You should begin with writing the heading as ‘MESSAGE’ in capital letters. It is supposed to be written in the centre at the top.
- Date: On the left-hand side of the page, you have to write the date in expanded form.
- Time: Though it is mandatory to mention the time in a message, there is no specification for its placement as it can either be mentioned on the left under the date or on the right side adjacent to it.
- Body: It is the main passage, wherein you need to mention all the essential information. Do not use lengthy sentences, keep it short, precise and within 150 words.
- Sender: After writing the necessary information, the sender’s name comes at the end on the left side.
Format of Message Writing
Here are some of the distinct examples of message writing from which students can learn about how to appropriately draft the content for different kinds of situations.
Also Read: Short Term Courses After 10th
Examples for Message Writing
1. You are Ritu. Your mother had recently gone for a health checkup. You received a call from the assistant doctor regarding the result of her reports. Since you have to go out, you leave a message for her. Draft a message regarding the same in not more than 50 words.
Dr Kaushik: Is this A/24, Geeta Colony?
You: Yes. May I know who is calling?
Dr Kaushik: I am Dr Priya Kaushik calling from Central Diagnostic Centre. I would like to speak to Mrs Sneha.
You: She is not at home right now.
Dr Kaushik: Could you please tell her that I have seen all her test reports. They do not show any serious problems and if there would be no improvement, we might take some more tests. I advise her to continue the same set of medicines for a week and I have fixed her appointment with the cardiologist for four o’clock at the Christ Hospital. She must reach there on time with all her reports.
You: Thank you, Doctor. I shall convey her the same.
|20th January 2020|
Dr Priya Kaushik called to inform that your test reports are fine. She informed that some tests will be also be conducted there is no improvement. Dr Kaushik has fixed an appointment with the cardiologist at the Christ Hospital. You have to be there by 4 pm positively with all
your test reports.
Exploring Message Writing for English? don’t forget to take a look at:
2. You are Simran. Your brother is not at home. You received a call from his friend regarding the cancellation of dance class. Since you have to go out, you will leave a message for him. Draft a message about the same in not more than 50 words.
Raj: Hello! Is this 25-A/12, Kamla Nagar?
Simran: Yes. May I know who’s calling?
Raj: I am Raj, Samar’s friend. Can I talk to him?
Simran: He has gone to the market with mom and forgot his mobile here. Can I pass a message?
Raj: Sure. I called to tell him that today’s class is suspended as our teacher had to go for a family emergency. The cancelled class will be held on Sunday. Please inform him about the same.
Simran: Oh! Sure. I will. Thank you.
Raj: You’re Welcome. Bye.
|21st January 2020|
Your friend Raj from your dance classes called and informed me that today’s dance class is
cancelled because the teacher has a family emergency. It will now be held on Sunday.
Thus, we hope that this blog has helped you understand what message writing is and how you can efficiently prepare for it. If you are planning to pursue a diploma after completing 10th or feel clueless about which stream to choose in 11th, sign up for a 30-minute free career counselling session with our Leverage Edu and we will provide you with all the guidance and assistance you need to sail through the foundation years of your academic journey.