There is so much to read and learn these days. Have you noticed how your favourite bloggers or writers come up with unique content on new topics almost every day? In the digital era, writers have to be extra careful about how they present their ideas. It should be collated in such a way that it influences a larger audience at the same time. However, article writing is not everyone’s cup of tea and needs creative thinking. Whether you want to pursue Content Writing courses or want to flourish your Journalism career, adhering to the structure along with presenting ideas in a well-structured way is what a writer needs to take care of. Yes, even articles have a distinct structure. Before delving into how to write an article should look, let us first understand the basics of it.
How To Be A Content Writer? [Step-by-Step 2022 Guide]
This Blog Includes:
- What is Article Writing?
- Objectives of Article Writing
- Tips for Writing a Good Article
- Article Writing Format
- Step By Step Guide for Article Writing
- Sample of Article Writing
- Article Writing on Covid-19 for Students
- Article on My Vision of India in the Future
- Article Writing Topics
- Common Mistakes to Avoid in Article Writing
- Points to Keep in Mind
- PPT on Article Writing
- Scope of Article Writing
What is Article Writing?
Playing a major role in society, an article is a piece of information that is written to influence or provide information to people at large. The form and the style of article writing may vary from one topic or writer to another. Yet, an ideal article provides all the relevant factual information to the people which catches their attention, allows them to think and triggers them to act. There are several types of articles, including:
- Expository article – The most common type of article, which allows the writer to disseminate information on any topic without imposing their own opinions.
- Argumentative article – An article in which the author poses a problem or issue, proposes a solution and provides arguments to support why their suggestions/solutions are good.
- A narrative article is one in which the author is required to narrate primarily in the form of a story.
- Descriptive article – An article written to provide a vivid description that allows readers to visualise what is being described. Using the appropriate adjectives/adjective phrases will assist you in writing a descriptive article.
- Persuasive article – An article written to persuade or convince readers to accept an idea or a point of view.
Objectives of Article Writing
An article must be written with the following objectives in mind:
- It should bring the topic or subject of interest to the foreground.
- The article must discuss all the necessary information.
- It must make or suggest recommendations to the readers.
- It must be eligible to have an impact on the readers and make them think.
- The article must cover a wide range of topics, including people, places, emerging challenges, and technological advancements.
Tips for Writing a Good Article
Here’s a step-by-step guide with plenty of helpful hints to help you write an excellent article in no time:
- The first and most important thing to consider when you decide to write an article is whether or not you are well-versed in the subject matter.
- The second question you must answer is why you are writing the article.
- The next thing you must consider is the type of audience for whom you are writing the article because you will not be able to write it in a way that will entice them to read it unless you know your audience.
- The language you use is critical because the article would be unable to sell itself without proper spelling, grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure.
- Make use of keywords to attract a large number of readers.
- Maintain coherence between and within paragraphs.
- Regardless of the type of article, double-check the data and information you provide.
- Keep the title and description as brief and memorable as possible.
- Before it is published, it should be edited and proofread.
Know the Difference Between an Author and a Writer!
Article Writing Format
Whatever you wish to write, it is important for you to first know the structure of the article and then mention the details accordingly. Divided mainly into 3 sections- Heading, Byline and Body, let us have a look at the article writing format you should keep in mind while composing your piece of information.
Heading or Title
The first thing to be noticed and the most important component in article writing is the heading/title. To draw the attention of the readers, it is important to give a catchy heading of not more than 5 to 6 words to the article.
Below the title comes the byline which states the name of the author who has written the article. This part helps the writer earn the actual credit that they deserve.
Body of the Article
The body consists of the main content of an article. Be it story writing or article writing, it is completely upon the author to fix the length of the composition and the number of paragraphs that would embed the information. Generally, an article contains 3 or 4 paragraphs wherein, the first paragraph introduces the readers to what the article will be about and all the prerequisite information. The second and third paragraphs will cover the crux of the topic and here, all the relevant data, case studies and statistics are presented. Following this, the fourth paragraph will conclude the article where the solutions to the problems, as presented in the second and third passages (if any) will be discussed.
Also Read: How to Write a Book?
Step By Step Guide for Article Writing
After knowing the format, let us have a look at the 5 simple steps involved in the process of article writing:
Step 1: Find your target audience
Before writing on any topic, it is important for a writer to first identify the audience the article targets. It can be a particular group of people, children, students, teenagers, young adults, middle-aged, elderly people, business people, service class, etc. Whichever group of people you choose to write for, select a topic that directly or indirectly impacts their lives or spreads the relevant information.
For example, if the article focuses on parents, then you might write about child psychology, the daily nutritional diet of a child, etc. The tone and the language should also match the suitable audience in article writing.
Step 2: Select a topic and an attractive heading
After you have chosen your target audience, the second important step in article writing is to choose an apt topic for your composition. This gives an idea of how you should process with the article. After you select the topic, then think of an intriguing title for the same.
For example, if you want to make the students aware of the various MBA specializations available, you can write – “Everything you need to know about MBA specializations”.
Step 3: Research is the Key
Consequent to selecting your targeted audience, topic and title of the article, research is the most important thing in article writing. Read umpteen articles, statistics, facts, data, and new governing laws (if any) to get a hang of all the information to be incorporated in the article. Additionally, check the authenticity of the data, so that you do not state anything outdated. Before proceeding with the article writing, prepare a rough draft or an outline of the article in bullet points and keywords so that you don’t miss out on the important information.
Step 4: Write and Proofread
Once you have collected all the facts and data, you can now begin your article writing. As discussed, start the article with an introductory paragraph, followed by a descriptive and a concluding paragraph. After you have written everything, it is pertinent to proofread your entire article and check whether there are any grammatical errors. As a reader, it becomes a major turn-off when you spot even the minutest of a mistake. Also, make sure that the content is not copied from some other website.
Step 5: Add Images and Infographics
To make your content even more attractive for people to read, you can also include some infographics. Adding images makes the article even more engaging and it proves to be more influential. Thus making the purpose of your article writing successful!
Sample of Article Writing
Given below is a sample that can give you more clarity on how to write an impeccable article:
Know What is Technical Writing!
Article Writing on Covid-19 for Students
Covid -19 for Students
Covid-19 has affected all sections of human life. While it affected all industry sectors it has a major impact on education. Classes were switched from offline to online at night but it created confusion among students, especially the ones that were about to enter college. Students even took a gap year hoping for the situation to get better. While schools and colleges are opening because vaccination is in full swing across the globe there are still many challenges.
Understanding COVID-19, how it spreads, and how to protect ourselves are the most important things to be learned first as soon as the school reopens. Students should know the rules they are going to follow and the benefits of following the covid-19 Safety Rules in the School Classroom. It’s very difficult to make the children understand because innocent minds may not get acquainted with the current situation.
To avoid the risk of contracting the Covid- 19, these rules should be followed by every student and school faculty at all times. Students must carry hand sanitisers at all times. Students should never sneeze on their hands, rather they should cover them with their elbows, or may use a tissue or a handkerchief. Inform students not to touch their eyes, nose, and mouth frequently. As chances are high that the virus gets spread through the touching of the eyes and nose. If students and teachers follow these basic rules, the spread can be stopped and schools can reopen.
Article on My Vision of India in the Future
My Vision of India in the Future
Most of us have a psychological barrier to looking at India’s future vision, and those who perceive the future as coming straight out of the present typically have their perspective narrowed as well. I believe that the year 2050 will belong to individuals who strive to recognise diversity as a virtue in and of itself, rather than as a tool for combating new mental monocultures or a necessary compromise for social and ethical concord. In the future, India will be in the centre of the world, with variety valued as a goal in itself. My vision statement is neither a forecast of what will happen nor a wish list of desirable but unreachable goals.
It’s a statement of what we believe our country can achieve, given the level of concern that our current youth has about issues like corruption, pollution, and mismanagement of natural resources, among other things. Recognize that the elements that affect national development have changed in recent years and will continue to change in the future when imagining India in 2050. This is expected to create more opportunities than ever before.
The expanding impact and influence of India in domains such as technology, education, information, and productive skills supports the belief that India will attain and sustain higher economic growth and development in the decades ahead.
Article Writing Topics
Do you have to write an article that is trending right now and will help you score better or help you practice better? Here is the list of current topics for article writing:
- Global Warming
- Environmental Pollution
- Impact of Internet
- Women Empowerment
- Education and Movies
- Value of Games in Education
- Yoga and Mind Healing
- Importance of Mental Health
- Importance of Education in Society
Explore some Creative Writing Topics
Common Mistakes to Avoid in Article Writing
The likelihood of errors increases now that you understand the phases of article writing and the article writing format. The following are some examples of common blunders:
- Not using facts or quotes or similar cases
- Using a tone that is too formal
- Using difficult vocabulary without knowing its meaning
- Not using a catchy title for your article
- No use of paragraphs to bifurcate information
- Not expressing personal views or opinions
Points to Keep in Mind
- The topics of the articles should be unique and relevant
- The article has to get the attention
- It has to be interesting
- It has to be easy to read
- Find the main goal of writing an article. The goal can be anything from providing information, entertainment, advice for comparing, etc.
- The title must be eye-catching, clear, and interesting
- The introduction or the starting paragraph must be highly attentive. Use your vocabulary skills or try to use some interrogative words at the start
- Use clear statements and make assertions
- Avoid repetition and over-the-top logic and reasons
- Use the style of paragraph writing and write the contents uniquely and unambiguously
- Avoid using the points which interest you only and not for the general public
- Always end your article writing on a good and logical note
6 Recommended Travel Writing Courses
PPT on Article Writing
Scope of Article Writing
Whether you want to work as an article writer for your current employer or make a name for yourself in the journalism world, your voice and skill are in high demand. What matters is that you keep writing and learning.
The road may be difficult at first. Even if you have a good idea of who you are as a writer and where you fit best, there will be obstacles. At first, every writer experiences this.
Or you may have no idea what intrigues you or what format works best with your natural writing strengths. Keep your cool! You’ll keep learning as you go. When your work is published and assignments begin to flood your inbox, the road will become smoother.
When written well, it becomes a natural part of the audience’s experience. Article writers influence how content is presented and how people think. Even when trying to write someone else’s vision, your talent makes it worthwhile to read.
An article is a piece of information that is written to influence or provide information to people at large. The form and the style of article writing may vary from one topic or writer to another.
Not using facts or quotes or similar cases
Using a tone that is too formal
Using difficult vocabulary without knowing its meaning
Not using a catchy title for your article
No use of paragraphs to bifurcate information
Not expressing personal views or opinions
The style of article writing varies from one topic or writer to another.
Thus, article writing is a form of art that improves only with practice and the right approach. If you want to pursue a career in a field where writing plays an essential role but are confused about the program then take the assistance of Leverage Edu’s AI tool which will curate a list of the most suitable universities and courses that align with your professional goals!