A successful motivation letter allows the admission committee of any institution to select students of excellent academic backgrounds. While applying for PhD programs, a student has to submit a motivation letter that states why they wish to embark on that particular position and how appropriate they are to be studying in the chosen program. PhD applications are not classified as any other random sample application. There are processes without which your chances of getting in may be reduced. For some institutions, academic qualifications are not enough to indicate whether a candidate is suitable for a PhD. In this sense, a Motivation Letter for PhD Programs is the perfect insight into who you really are.
This Blog Includes:
Tips for Writing a Motivation Letter for PhD Programs
Here are the best tips for acing your writing a motivation letter for PhD:
Avoid False Statements
While writing a Motivation Letter for PhD Programs, candidates often forget to add necessary things in the letter. It is important to know that without adding important information the application wouldn’t stand out. For instance, candidates tend to write, “I work well with the other people or I am good at working under pressure.” Well, this is not how you write in a motivation letter as you should provide some real examples like, “My leadership skills were demonstrated when I had to lead a group of colleagues during my internship, which required intensive marketing management ability.”
Avoid being vague and imprecise while writing a Motivation Letter for PhD Programs. Be specific while putting information in the letter. For example, If you describe it as “My marketing days were very interesting in my undergraduate days”, it would be inappropriate to fit it into a motivation letter. It depicts a very informal manner of writing a letter. You should include specific details about the courses you took as an undergraduate student such as, what made you choose them and what you learned from them.
Include Your Skills and Work Experience
In a motivation letter, it is essential to add the skills you possess and the work experience you have. A PhD is more than a continuation of your previous academic endeavours, it is a real educational test, and education is more than obtaining degrees. A Motivation Letter for PhD Programs becomes impressive when you write about the skills and experiences you possess over the years which are strong enough to make you a qualified PhD candidate. You can flourish your research and analytical skills in a motivation letter.
Write in a Professional Manner
It is equally important to add information in a Motivation Letter for PhD Programs professionally. It is in your own best interest to submit the motivation letter with an appropriate font, writing style and professional grammar. This will ensure your chances of getting accepted into a PhD program. Professionalism plays a vital role in sending a good insight into your personality and helps you gain acceptance.
Top Things to be Included in a Motivation Letter for PhD Programs
A Motivation Letter for PhD Programs shares similarities with the cover letter and a personal statement. All three documents describe your suitability for a PhD program. However, as compared to a personal statement and cover letter, a motivation letter gives more precision to your motivation for wanting to pursue a PhD.
- An introduction to the PhD program: Begin with a brief introduction in clear terms that why you are applying for a particular PhD program. Think of it as you telling it to a stranger.
- A summary of your academic background: Focus on your educational background and state what you have studied here and where. It is important to highlight extra curriculums that were a part of your studies. Mention what made you interested in a PhD program, especially if you are applying in the same field. In addition, summarize your professional work experience and include any relevant work experiences such as teaching roles, or charity work.
- Reason to pursue a PhD: Describe your long-term aspirations, show your enthusiasm and passion for pursuing a PhD program. You can also mention what made you interested in this field. You can also demonstrate your interest in proposed research topics such as the seminars you attended, research experience, aspects of the subjects, and finally, specify what has convinced you to devote 3-4 years of your life to the research field.
- The significant effect of your research on society and the career goals: While at the of your motivation letter, add a few sentences on the research’s impact on your life and the experience as a whole. It should conclude the new contributions it will make to your field, and how it benefits society and fits in with your aspirations. In addition, state your career goals, for example, do you want to become a researcher or pursue an academic career? This will enable the reader to judge you based on how passionate you are about pursuing a PhD program.
Sample of Motivation Letter for PhD Programs
Top PhD Programs
- PhD in Entrepreneurship
- PhD in Commerce
- PhD in Accounting
- PhD in Management
- PhD in Economics
- PhD in Commercial Law
- PhD in Human Resource Management
- PhD in Operational Research
- PhD in Marketing
- PhD in Healthcare and Management
- PhD in Organizational Behaviour
- PhD in Finance
- PhD in Chemistry
- PhD in Computer Science
- PhD in Law
- PhD in IT
- PhD in Engineering
- PhD in Political Science
- PhD in Education
- PhD in Statistics
- PhD in Psychology
This was all about Motivation Letters for PhD Programs. We hope you find this insightful. Are you interested in making your career in PhD abroad? Reach out to our Leverage Edu experts on 1800 57 2000 and we will help you in finding the best university.