Durham University was established in 1832 as a public research university. It is also England’s third-oldest university and also a part of the Russell Group. Durham University has a lovely campus that is separated into two halves, Durham City and Queen’s Campus, Stockton, and spans 563 acres. The university is made up of 17 colleges and four faculties: Arts and Humanities, Business, Science, and Social Science and Health, with around 4500 academic members. DU is home to over 20 lakh students and is known for delivering outstanding and quality education in a variety of subjects. In terms of employability, it is likewise among the best universities in the world. If you want to know more about Durham University admissions/application process, entry-level requirements and more, then keep reading!
|Year of establishment||1832|
|Endowment value||Pound Sterling 72 million|
|No. Of campuses||2|
|Application portal||UCAS or University website|
|Application fee||Graduate programs (few)- 60 GBP
UG: 18 GBP
|Popular Courses||Business, Engineering, MBA|
This Blog Includes:
- Why Choose Durham University?
- Popular Courses
- Durham University Admissions Intake and Deadlines
- Durham University Admissions Requirements
- Documents Required
- Durham University Admissions/Application Process
- Cost of Studying at Durham University
- Cost of Living in the UK
- UK Visa Requirements for International Students
- Durham University Admissions Scholarship
Why Choose Durham University?
Before knowing about the Durham University admissions intakes, requirements and process, let’s first throw some light upon why one must choose Durham University for his/her higher education:
- Durham University has a phenomenal student satisfaction rate of 90%. In reality, Durham has one of the highest rates of student engagement in sports and extracurriculars in the UK, with 200+ sports teams frequently finishing first in university league rankings. You’ll be happy, healthy, and actively involved at Durham University, according to statistics.
- Durham, unlike other UK universities, Durham University is divided into 16 colleges. Each college will not only provide on-campus accommodation but will also serve as a social and educational centre. Durham colleges have first-rate amenities such as gyms, cafés, and libraries, to mention a few. Students can also join a variety of sports groups and societies, which can help them form lifelong friendships with like-minded classmates.
- Durham is ranked 39th in the world for employer reputation among colleges. Durham grads are, in reality, the UK’s seventh most sought-after graduates. This is unsurprising considering the number of celebrities and public personalities among its elite alumni, like former England rugby star Will Carling, BBC Sports presenter Gabby Logan, and late Labour MP Mo Mowlam, to mention a few.
- According to The Complete University Guide, all of Durham’s subjects were rated in the top 10 in 2015, making it the first UK university to do so! This year, more than 90% of Durham’s topics were ranked in the top 10. Durham’s learning extends beyond the classroom, with 83% of its research rated as “world-leading” or “internationally good.”
- Durham’s close-knit community will make you feel at ease while also keeping you linked to the fast-paced metropolitan life that the neighbouring places have to offer. Durham is just a 15-minute train journey from Newcastle, a vivacious city with excellent cultural and entertainment opportunities. Manchester and London are two to three hours apart by train, but because Durham is on the east coast rail route, getting there will be easy.
Did you know: Harry Potter’s Transfiguration class in The Chamber of Secrets took place in Durham Cathedral!
Another reason for the popularity of Durham University is that it provides a plethora of courses to choose from. Some of the popular courses that the university offers to international students seeking admissions at Durham University are enlisted below:
|Name of the Course||Duration|
|B.E. / B.Tech||3-4 years|
|MBA/PGDM||1 year to 15 months|
|MS||1 to 2 years|
|MIM||12 months to 2 years|
|MSc Finance||12 months|
|MSc Finance in Accounting & Finance||12 months|
|BA Accounting and Finance||3 years|
Durham University Admissions Intake and Deadlines
If you want to apply for admissions to Durham University then you’ll need to apply before 18:00 (GMT) on 26 January 2022. The deadline for Oxbridge, or Medicine, Dentistry or Veterinary Science is 15 October. Another thing which you’ll need to keep in mind is your own school or college may have its own deadline for you to apply. The university has been accepting applications for Postgraduate Taught courses and programmes commencing from September 2022 since 1st October 2021.
Know everything about the Intakes in the UK for 2022
Durham University Admissions Requirements
Entry requirements per course will differ, and some courses may require the previous study in certain subjects. Having said that, there are four categories for eligibility requirements for getting admission at Durham University:
- Basic education
- Work experience
- Standardised exams
- English proficiency
For UG Courses
If you want to apply for an undergraduate course at Durham University, then you require an Educational board of conduct that is CBSE or ICSE Boards.
- State Boards can be accepted depending upon a case-to-case basis.
- Grade 12 qualification
For PG Courses
- If you want to apply for postgraduate courses then you’ll require a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field of study or discipline from a recognised university or equivalent.
- Durham university accepts a minimum score of 60% or 70% aggregate which also depends upon different institutions.
English Language Requirements
|Name of the Tests||Minimum Score|
|IELTS||Minimum 6.5 bands (no component under 6.0 bands)|
|TOEFL iBT (internet-based test) and TOEFL iBT Home Edition||92 (no component under 23)|
|Cambridge Proficiency (CPE)||Grade C|
|Cambridge Scale (CAE or CPE)||Overall 176 (minimum of 169 per component)|
Post knowing about the Durham University admissions requirements, let’s know about the documents required for international students to study at the Solent University:
- All official academic transcripts and grade cards
- Passport size photographs
- Passport photocopy
- UK student Visa
- Updated CV/Resume
- Portfolio (if asked or required)
- English Language Proficiency Test Scores
- GMAT/GRE scores
- Letter of Recommendations
- Statement of Purpose
- Research Proposal (for PG Research)
Check out the Documents Required for Applying to UK Universities
Durham University Admissions/Application Process
Durham University application/admission process takes place through UCAS. Visit the official website of UCAS and start your application process. Here’s a step-by-step admission process for international students to study at Durham University in the UK:
Step 1: Vist the UCAS Portal and Apply
The university will make decisions regarding your application based on your completed UCAS form. Make a list of all the qualifications you have and are currently pursuing. You can also tell us about any previous employment experience you have.
Contact our Leverage Edu experts on 1800572000 to streamline and ease the entire application process for Solent University.
Step 2: Track your Application
UCAS Hub allows you to keep track of the status of all of your applications. They will send you an email with your login information for the online portal after they’ve received your application.
Step 3: Gather Test Scores of Proficiency Exams
GMAT, GRE, IELTS, PTE or TOEFL are a mandatory part of the documents required for the application process. Register for Leverage Live and commence with your preparations today. A few courses may ask for the online portfolio or assignment that takes place on Skype.
Step 4: Gather Important Documents
LOR, SOP, bank statements, essays, updated resumes and official transcripts of previous academic degrees are also part of the supporting documents. Start collecting all the necessary documents to get ahead with your application process.
Step 5: Submit your Application
Once you are qualified, collected all the documents and fulfilled the language requirements you are ready, to begin with, the application form. To secure your admission at Durham University make sure you enter all your personal and professional credentials thoroughly. Later on, check the deadlines, and submit your saved application form at the right time to the university.
Step 6: Hang Tight for the Evaluation Period
The university will take a few weeks to evaluate the application form. You will be informed via email about your acknowledgement or rejection. As soon as you receive the offer letter, apply for Visa, apply for subsidising, apply for nearby convenience and start pacing for your study abroad journey!
Check out the UK Admission Process for Indian Students
Cost of Studying at Durham University
The cost of tuition at Durham University varies by course. The table below shows the average tuition prices at Durham University for various degrees.
|Level of Study||Average Tuition Fees (GBP)|
|UG||£19000 -£25000 (INR 19,06,735 – INR 25,08,862)|
|PG||£18500 – £30000 (INR 18,56,558 – INR 30,10,635)|
Cost of Living in the UK
The cost of attending Durham University includes tuition, as well as food, accommodation, and other living expenses. The following are some of the costs involved with attending Durham University.
|Kind of Expense||Cost in GBP and INR|
|Fees for Visa Application||348 GBP (INR 35,834)|
|Housing||500 GBP (INR 51,486) monthly|
|Transportation||150-200 GBP (INR 15,445 to INR 19,844) monthly|
|Food||150-200 GBP (INR 14,883 to INR 20,594) monthly|
|Clothing and Leisure||50 GBP (INR 5,148) monthly|
|Telephone and Mobile||50 GBP (INR 5,148) monthly|
Must Read: Cost of Studying in UK for Indian Students
UK Visa Requirements for International Students
International students can start the visa process up to three months before the start of their course if planning for Durham University admissions. Students are required to submit the following documents for UK student visa filing:
- CAS request form
- CAS number (issued by the university)
- Acceptance Letter
- Copy of deposit payment confirmation
- Academic transcripts
- Financial support proof
- Consent form parent or guardian
- Scores of English language proficiency
- Proof of relationship with parents (for those below the age of 18)
- Tuberculosis test results
Durham University Admissions Scholarship
Durham University is one of the popular universities that supports all its national and international students. This university initiates this perspective in the form of merit scholarships as well as excellence and leadership awards.
Either the university finances these or through its associations with foreign organisations. It awarded international students displaying excellent academic calibre and good management skills with capacity for academic performance during the sophomore programme in their first year of bachelor. An award of GBP 2,000 (INR 2,00,709) is granted to deserving foreign scholars. Students applying for Science and Calculations they granted standards for the fellowships.
Foreign organisations, alumnae, donations, and associations of the university often finance these. Each scholarship has different awarding principles and industry deadlines. Thus, it is desirable to check for the minimum qualifications and specific agendas on the institution’s website. It covers tuition fees and supply help and also I’m some instances younger award money and prizes. The funded schools apply to students studying a postgraduate programme for the first time at Durham University.
Grab the expert assistance of Leverage Edu student counsellors to kickstart your admission and application process to study in the UK in 2022. Call us immediately at 1800 57 2000 for a free 30-minute therapy consultation.