We live in a highly globalised world where there is a constant exchange of goods and ideas between countries across the world. International relations have become the norm where different countries interact and collaborate with one another to help resolve various international issues together and maintain cordial relations in the global economy. And how can such a world function without the presence of professionals with expertise in international relations! Therefore, in recent times, the career scope of International Relations is growing. If you also wish to be at the forefront of this globalised world and avail the immense job opportunities this ever-evolving specialisation has to offer, then pursuing a masters in international relations might be the best option for you.
This Blog Includes:
- What is a Masters in International Relations?
- Why Study Masters in International Relations?
- Eligibility Criteria for Masters in International Relations
- Best Global Universities for Masters in International Relations
- Best Indian Universities
- Indian Entrance Examinations
- Core Subjects
- What Can You Do with a Master’s Degree in International Relations?
What is a Masters in International Relations?
Master in International Relations is a two-year degree which aims to provide the students with a holistic understanding of everything related to global affairs. This course equips the students with thorough knowledge regarding political, economic and legal undertakings of different countries on a global level. By the end of the course, the students will be well informed about how different nations and international organisations interact and how certain laws go into making these interactions as peaceful as possible. Globalisation, international security, diplomatic relations, global finance, terrorism, human rights, trade and regulations policies and all come under the purview of international relations.
For studying a Masters in International Relations, two most prominent degree types are:
- Master of Arts, and
- Master of Science
Recommended Read: Masters in International Economics
Why Study Masters in International Relations?
There are various reasons why one must choose this degree course. Some of them are:
- The student gets an opportunity to engage in challenging issues.
- You get to make a difference in the world by specialising in international relations and pursuing a career in it.
- The student gets a great starting point in the career as there are numerous opportunities attached to this degree course.
- The student will be equipped with a high-demanding skill set.
- You will gain real-world experience.
Eligibility Criteria for Masters in International Relations
To be eligible for pursuing a masters in international relations, the candidate must fulfill the following requirements:
- The candidate must have a bachelor’s degree from any recognised university or institution.
- In case you wish to apply abroad, you must have cleared any of the English language proficiency tests like TOEFL or IELTS.
- For courses like MSc in International Relations, some universities might also ask for GRE scores.
Check Out the Top 5 Countries to Study International Relations!
Best Global Universities for Masters in International Relations
Several universities and educational institutions across the world offer a masters program in this specialisation! Here are the world’s best universities for Masters in International Relations:
|University||QS World University Ranking 2023|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology, US||#1|
|University of Oxford, UK||#4|
|Harvard University, US||#5|
|Stanford University, US||#3|
|University of Cambridge, UK||#2|
|Princeton University, US||#16|
|The London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE), UK||#56|
|Yale University, US||#18|
|University of Michigan – Ann Arbor, US||#25|
|University of Chicago, US||#10|
Range of Fees
The fee range for studying international relations abroad is shared below.
|Abroad Fees||$22,000-$70,000 (16,32,000 INR-51,93,000 INR)|
Best Indian Universities
Here are the best universities to study Masters in International Relations in India:
- Jadavpur University, Kolkata
- Jawaharlal Nehru University, Delhi
- Central University of Kerala, Kerala
- Gautam Buddha University, Noida
- Symbiosis School of International Studies, Pune
- Maharaja’s College, University of Mysore, Karnataka
- South Asian University, Delhi
- Pondicherry University, Puducherry
- University of Mumbai, Mumbai
Range of Fees
The fee range for studying international relations in India is shared below.
|National Fees||INR 50,000 and 3 Lakhs per annum.|
Indian Entrance Examinations
To apply for a masters in international relations, you must be aware of the entrance examinations for studying in India. We have mentioned the same below.
|Name of the Examination||Date of Exam 2023|
|TANCET||MBA: Feb 26
MCA: Feb 25
|HPCET||MBA: July 9|
|CUET||May 21 to 31, 2023|
A masters in international relations course deals with a number of subjects related to global affairs. The curriculum might vary from University to University but the basic subjects covered in this two-year programme are given below.
- World Politics
- International Relations Theory
- International Relations
- Global Security
- Making Foreign Policy
- Political Economy
- Violence and Political Order
- Democracy and its Contents
- Evolution of the International System
What Can You Do with a Master’s Degree in International Relations?
After pursuing a masters in international relations, the graduates will enter a world full of opportunities. You can apply for a number of positions across the world depending on your skillset and qualifications.
Jobs and Salary
Here are the best high-paying jobs you can pursue:
|Job||Average Starting Salary (INR)|
Yes, Masters in International Relations is worth it, given the various job opportunities it provides to students.
Yes, international relations is considered a great career.
Political Philosophy, Human Rights, Environmental Issues, Foreign Policy Analysis, are some of the subjects of international relations.
This is all that you needed to know about pursuing a masters in international relations. Confused about selecting the right university? Reach out to our Leverage Edu experts and we will help you cherry-pick the best university as per your interests and preferences. Sign up for a free session with us now! Call us immediately at 1800 57 2000 for a free 30-minute counselling session.