Were you one of those students who was fascinated by the chemicals gleaming through the transparent test tubes? Then the discipline of chemistry is the right choice for you. Chemistry as a specialization in science deals with the nature and properties of various compounds and the large number of reactions taking place around us. Chemistry is one of the fundamental sciences. The stimulating career options opened by chemistry are wide-ranging and cover different aspects of the field. This blog has put together the scope of chemistry allowing prospective students to have an idea of the professional challenges that lie ahead after pursuing a degree in chemistry.
This Blog Includes:
- What is Chemistry?
- What is the Scope and Importance of Chemistry?
- Applications of Chemistry
- 10 Branches of Chemistry
- Jobs After MSc Chemistry
- Jobs After BSc Chemistry
- Scope of Chemistry
- Analytical Chemist
- Biomedical Chemist – Scope of Chemistry
- Production Officer
- Quality Controller – Scope of Chemistry
- R&D Director
What is Chemistry?
Chemistry is the study of matter and the changes it undergoes. It considers both microscopic and macroscopic properties. The five main disciplines of chemistry are physical chemistry, organic chemistry, inorganic chemistry, analytical chemistry and biochemistry. Chemistry focuses on both theory and practical applications.
What is the Scope and Importance of Chemistry?
Studying chemistry is lucrative from many perspectives and there are numerous benefits of studying it. Being a central science, chemistry is used in every aspect of a person’s life from the food consumed to the products used. The improvement of chemical science has altered the premise of current medication. With ever-increasing research in chemistry, marvel drugs like penicillin and streptomycin have been developed. Enlisted below are the manifold reasons for pursuing a degree in chemistry and establishing a career in the field of chemical science.
- It teaches useful skills that can be used in practical life when dealing with chemicals.
- With more number of students pursuing chemistry, there has been unprecedented progress in the production of new medicines for treating fatal diseases
- A student gets acquainted with the various chemicals present in the environment and thus has a better understanding of how natural processes occur.
- A command over chemistry helps in distinguishing between chemicals and using them for the appropriate reason.
- Chemistry is a popular course and there exists a large number of professions that a person with a degree in chemistry can work in.
Applications of Chemistry
There are several instances in life where you can use chemistry. Here are some of the top applications of Chemistry:
- The food we eat, the cosmetics we use or the medicines we take, all of these undergo chemical reactions.
- It can help you make decisions related to a wide range of things like watering plants based on seasons, setting the temperature to bake a cake, choosing the right medicine for acidity, applying a particular SPF sunscreen, etc.
- It helps you understand which element does your body needs more. For instance, some may require Vitamin D more than others.
- It is also used for improving health, creating new elements, supply of metals, nuclear energy, production of industrial equipment, used for wars and building materials
- It is also used in everyday life from nature to household chores.
10 Branches of Chemistry
Here are the popular branches of Chemistry:
- Industrial Chemistry
- Physical Chemistry
- Environmental Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
- Polymer Chemistry
- Theoretical Chemistry
- Analytical Chemistry
- Inorganic Chemistry
Jobs After MSc Chemistry
Now that you know the various areas where an MSc Chemistry graduate can work, take a look at the various job profiles available for them:
- University Lecturer
- Food and Drug Inspector
- Biomedical Chemist
- Laboratory Assistant
- Production Chemist
- Chemical Analyst
- Materials Technologist
- Quality Controller
- Analytical Chemists
- Healthcare Scientists
- Research and Development Manager
- Health and Environment Safety Specialist
Jobs After BSc Chemistry
If you are planning to explore job prospects after graduating, take a look at some of the prominent and commonly-chosen profiles in this domain:
- Chemical Sales
- Assistant Professor
- Patent Associate
- Biotechnologist or Biochemist
- Content Developer (Chemistry)
- Food and Flavour Chemist
- Research Assistant or Associate
- Scientific Data Entry Specialist
- Water Quality Specialist
- Agricultural Chemist
Scope of Chemistry
Studying chemistry opens up a world of possibilities. There is an array of jobs in the field of chemistry. The job profiles can be found across different areas and thus there are a large number of occupations that one can seek in the wake of finishing a course in chemistry. Mentioned below are some of the important profiles one can work in after getting a degree in the field of chemistry.
Analytical chemists examine tests utilizing a scope of chemical principles, for example, electro-chromatography, superior fluid chromatography and spectroscopy.
They use an assortment of open and private segment associations and can specialize in working in a large number of areas like toxicology, pharmaceuticals, quality control or crime scene investigation. Working as an analytical chemist includes the following responsibilities:
- Utilizing a scope of programming, methods and gear to do research and investigation
- Breaking down and deciphering information
- Ensuring that information is precisely recorded as per rules
- Revealing and introducing results
- Composing research papers, reports, surveys and rundowns
Biomedical Chemist – Scope of Chemistry
As a biomedical chemist, a person can work in a clinical setting or in veterinary exploration. Numerous biomedical science majors seek clinical school after it to work on their skills from a professional perspective. Many of them pursue a vocation in the clinical world after completing a course in Biomedical science. One can work in pathology labs or for government organizations or self-owned businesses that are associated with quality control or guidelines of pharmaceuticals. Through this sort of examination, there have been advancements in treatment meant to battle malignant growths in the body, AIDS, liquor abuse, Parkinson’s sickness, jungle fever, and various other ailments.
Production officials instruct laborers who fabricate and transport items. Officials spend a portion of their time on the manufacturing plant working on the efficiency of production and confirming efficiency rates. One of the most significant obligations for any production official incorporates consistent correspondence with group pioneers and increases production by managing the proficiency of the machines used.
Quality Controller – Scope of Chemistry
A quality controller manages and screens quality measures for fabricated items, including nourishments, materials, garments, dishes, engine vehicles, electronic parts, PCs, and basic steel. The working scope of a quality controller encompasses ventures in different fields. Quality controllers depend on numerous devices to carry out their responsibilities. Controllers can use electrical gadgets like voltmeters, ammeters, and ohmmeters for checking and testing contrast, flow stream, and obstruction, separately.
Individuals engaged in the fields of Research and Development, or innovative work engineers, produce new items, enhance existing products and perform exploration and testing based on new ideas and principles to test their applications. Numerous enterprises, including logical organizations, electrical organizations, and assembling organizations recruit full-time R&D specialists to fill in as pioneers who work on making discoveries in the field of chemistry by incorporating different designers, promoting experts, and producers. Research and development specialists commonly work in office situations and work on developing key ideas to help the organization flourish.
- Career in Medicinal Chemistry
- MSc Pharmaceutical Chemistry
- Courses after BSc Chemistry
- What is Medicinal Chemistry?
- BSc Biochemistry
- What is Analytical Chemistry?
We hope this blog has given an extensive and in-depth idea about the scope of chemistry. Are you looking at enrolling at a renowned university of the world for a course in chemistry? Experts at Leverage Edu will guide you through the entire process and review your applications. Register today for a free session and get ready to wear the white coat of your dream!