Are you intrigued by how different chemicals yield various products? Do you have a knack for solving complex scientific problems related to materials, biological materials and microorganisms? Then perhaps a career in Biochemical Engineering is just for you. Being a multi-disciplinary research field, it encompasses the elements of scientific disciplines like Biology, Microbiology, and Chemistry to develop products and processes which can solve certain complex problems. Requiring innovations in its experiments, this field has become popular amongst the various engineering branches. Through this blog, we will give you an insight into building a career in this emerging discipline and its scope.
This Blog Includes:
- Biochemical Engineering
- Skills Required
- Courses in Biochemical Engineering
- Requirements to Become a Biochemical Engineer
- Subjects in Biochemical Engineering
- Biochemical Engineering Colleges
- Biochemical Engineering Colleges in India
- Career Prospects
- Biochemical Engineering Jobs
- Average Salary
Biochemical Engineering is a branch of chemical and biological engineering that deals with the study of designing and developing the units that come in direct contact with people. Involving molecules (bioreactors) and other biological organisms, these professionals are trained to use and implement their scientific knowledge and engineering principles to create products such as medicines, processed foods, oil, paints, cosmetics, paper, plastic amongst others. Recently, this field has started to capture the attention of the youth owing to its major contribution in an array of other domains. This eventually equips one with lucrative opportunities when it comes to establishing a career in Biochemical Engineering. Once you grab a degree in this field, you will be able to earn job profiles like Research Scientist, Biomaterial Engineer, Clinical Engineer, etc, and can be expected to work in sectors like Biomedical and Chemical firms.
Responsibilities of a Biochemical Engineer
From designing and experimenting to building new compounds, a biochemical engineer is involved in various important duties. Some of the prominent responsibilities that you will be handling after setting up a career in Biochemical Engineering have been listed below:
- Study biological substances such as proteins, cells, and viruses to discover the optimal conditions for growth and death.
- Build new compounds from the raw materials that are safe for public use.
- Perform experiments and develop such methods that minimize pollution.
- Retrospect biomanufacturing procedures so as to develop techniques that comply with the environmental regulations.
- Work in collaboration with biologists and chemists to produce user-friendly products through innovative technologies.
- Capture and document the results of experiments and other works.
- Cooperate with the quality assurance and manufacturing department to develop safety sheets, standard procedures of operation and qualification and validation reports.
- Alter variables such as temperature and ingredients to determine if the compound develops under varied conditions.
Before we go on to enter a particular field, having the required set of skills is essential as it helps one adapt the details in a better way. Here are some essential skills required for Biochemical Engineering-
- Careful measurement and analytical skills
- Creative and technical ability to turn designs into products
- A good eye for design
- Good with technical knowledge
- Attention to detail
- Communication and teamwork skills
- Strong maths and science
- Scientific temper
- The ability to empathize with patients
Courses in Biochemical Engineering
Some popular courses in Biochemical Engineering are-
- B.Tech or B.E. in Biochemical Engineering (BCE)
- B.Tech or B.E. in Chemical Engineering
- B.Tech or B.E. in Biotechnology Engineering
- M.Tech or M.E. in Biochemical Engineering
- M.Tech or M.E. in Process Engineering
- M.Sc or Master of Science in Biochemical Engineering
Also read: MSc Biochemistry
Requirements to Become a Biochemical Engineer
For kick-starting a career in Biochemical engineering, you need to complete your 10+2 level of studies with BiPC subjects (Biology, Physics, and Chemistry) along with Maths. But what is important to note is that the minimum percentage or score required may vary from one university to another. This is one of the courses in Biology after 12th except MBBS which calls for different entrance exams. Further, you will also be required to submit English language proficiency test scorecards like that of IELTS and TOEFL, university transcripts, CV, Statement of Purpose (SOP), Letter of Recommendation (LOR), etc.
Subjects in Biochemical Engineering
Although there are a variety of courses available in this field at both UG and PG level, the subjects usually tend to remain the same. The UG courses will give you foundational knowledge whereas the PG ones will help you firm your grip over the chosen specialization. Let us take a quick look at some of the vital subjects that you will be studying to set up a career in Biochemical Engineering.
|Comprehension||Modern Physics||Biochemistry and Biophysics||Bio Transducers and Electrodes|
|Computer Programming and Problem-solving||Engineering Chemistry||Biochemical instrumentation||Clinical Engineering|
|English for Engineers – I & II||Multivariate calculus and differential equations||Biomaterials and components||Control systems in medicine|
|Environmental Studies||Anatomy and physiology||Biomechanics||Difference and differential equations|
|Ethics and Values||Artificial Organs||Biomedical Signal processing||Digital signal processing|
|Foreign Language||Basic medical instrumentation||Bio-MEMS||Engineering Graphics|
|Health Technology Management||Medical Imaging Techniques||Probability and Statistics||Artificial Neural Networks|
|Industrial Internship||Numerical Methods||Project Work||Computers in Medicine|
|Telemedicine||Tissue Engineering||Pattern Recognition||Laser and Fibre Optics in Medicine and a lot more|
Biochemical Engineering Colleges
Equipping the students with the necessary skills and knowledge in the field of Biochemical Engineering through world-class facilities to providing them with industrial exposure, here are the top universities that offer this course:
- University College London
- Swansea University
- Birmingham University
- Delft University of Technology
- University of Manchester
- Technical University of Denmark
Biochemical Engineering Colleges in India
The popular colleges for Biochemical Engineering in India are-
- Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
- BMS College of Engineering, Bangalore
- Jadavpur University, Kolkata
- Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur
- Netaji Subhash University, Delhi
- Indian Institute of Technology, Varanasi
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
- National Institute of Technology, Agartala
- Harcourt Butler Technical University, Kanpur
Upon graduating with a bachelors or masters degree in Biochemical Engineering, you can explore the following key areas of employment where there is always a high demand for Biochemical engineers:
- Food And Beverage Companies
- Chemical Industries
- Biomedical Firms
- Petroleum and Gas Fields
- Pharmaceutical Companies
- Agricultural Industries
- Engineering Design Companies
- Clothing Units
- Electronic Industries
Biochemical Engineering Jobs
What is important to note is that the Biochemical engineering graduates can work in the above-mentioned industries in the following popular job profiles:
- University Professor
- Systems Physiology Engineer
- Patent Analyst
- Research Scientist
- Clinical Engineer
- Biomaterial Engineer
- Bioinstrumentation Engineer
- Biomechanics Engineer
- Plant Supervisor
- Nuclear Engineer
- Equipment Design Engineer
Freshers in this field can start with a salary of INR 3,00,000- 5,00,000 per annum but as you go with a career in Biochemical Engineering, you may earn INR 15- 20,00,000 at senior level positions.
Also Read: Biomedical Engineering Jobs
Thus, Biochemical Engineering, which is an extension of Chemical Engineering opens the door to an array of career opportunities. If you are aspiring to be one of the biochemical innovators and are in need of any kind of educational counselling , then the experts at Leverage Edu will come to your rescue. We help you reach out to our mentors who have followed the same career path as you are aiming for so that they can provide you with career guidance for the same.