Korean culture is not just famous for its K-POP singers or skincare products but also for fostering value education and innovation. When it comes to the universities in Korea, they are well known for their modern teaching facilities and quality education and offer various courses in a different stream from law to biomedical engineering and MBA too. Students with degrees from top universities in the capital city of Seoul are in higher demand all around the globe. In this blog, we will unravel the top universities in Seoul.
This Blog Includes:
Do you know? Seoul is the center of South Korea’s Economy, culture, and politics.
Also Read: Study in South Korea for Indian Students
Quick Facts About Seoul
|Number of universities ranked by QS||19|
|Highest-ranked institution||Seoul National University (36th in the world)|
|Average international fees||US$6,100 (4,47,581)|
|Employer Activity rank||6th|
|Student View rank||=23rd|
Top 30 Universities in Seoul
Seoul is filled with eminent institutions and students from all around the globe are interested in pursuing courses from universities in Seoul. Selecting the best from the rest can be difficult and confusing. That’s why we have listed the top Universities in Seoul to help you in selecting your dream university.
|Universities in Seoul||QS World University Rankings- 2022|
|Seoul National University||36|
|Kyung Hee University||=264|
|Ewha Womans University||362|
|Hankuk University of Foreign Studies||=445|
|University of Seoul||801-1000|
|Seoul National University of Science and Technology||1001-1200|
|Sookmyung Women’s University||1001-1200|
|Seoul National University of Education||–|
|The Catholic University of Korea||–|
|Chugye University for the Arts||–|
|Presbyterian University and Theological Seminary||–|
|Korea National Sport University||–|
|Korea Christian University||–|
Also Read: Top Universities in USA
Seoul National University
Seoul National University is one of the most esteemed institutions located in Seoul, South Korea. It is a public university that has about 2,370 international students established in 1946. At present, Seoul National University is home to 28,000 students enrolled in graduate, postgraduate, and doctorate courses that offer courses in law, business management, environmental studies, medicine, public administration, etc. Some of the popular courses are listed below:
Korea University was established in 1905 and the first university fully funded and operated solely by Koreans. There are more than 5,000 international students and a total of 33,00 thousand enrolled at present in Korea University. The university offers courses at undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral levels. Some of the popular courses streams are:
Sungkyunkwan University is one of the oldest institutions in Seoul, but in East Asia, it is also a private university established in 1398. There are 3,821 international students and known for their international collaboration programs that help students gain a better insight into the international environment and immense scope of professional and personal development. Some of the popular courses are:
- Social Science
- Business Administration
Yonsei University is one of the finest universities in Seoul and is also a member of SKY universities and an esteemed institution in Asia for medicine and business. It is a private university established in 1885 and has an international student population of about 5,046 and home to more than 38,000 students enrolled in undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral programs across four campuses. Some of the popular courses are:
- Data Science
Hanyang University is a private research institution in Seoul established in 1939 and has enrolled more than 3,000 international students. The students who have completed their education from Hanyang University have proved to be experts in theoretical knowledge and practical knowledge. Hanyang University combines modern teaching methods with industry exposure for its students. Some of the popular courses are:
Do you know? Seoul has 5 UNESCO Heritage sites Changdeok Palace, Hwaseong Fortress, Jongmyo Shrine, Namhansanseong, and the Royal Tombs of the Joseon Dynasty.
Also Read: MBA in USA
Before applying to universities all applicants are advised to check the course eligibility criteria. Every course and university has its set standard of eligibility that every applicant has to fulfil. Here is some common eligibility of admission to apply for universities in Seoul:
- For undergraduate courses, applicants must have completed thor 10+ 2 education and for postgraduate courses, applicants must have a bachelor’s degree from a recognized university in the related field.
- Courses in Seoul are taught in Korean and the English language. Applicants have to submit the language proficiency certificate. For Korean language courses accepted test is TOPIK and for English proficiency accepted test is IELTS, TOEFL, etc.
- Every applicant must have a D-2 student visa before departure.
Also Read: Exams to Study Abroad
Universities in Seoul: Average Fees
Here is a list of universities in Seoul with its average estimated fees mentioned alongside for you to have a look.
|Universities in Seoul||Average Fees for UG programs||Average Fees for PG programs|
|University of Seoul||USD 3,000 (INR 2,20,122)||USD 3,000 (INR 2,20,122)|
|Dongguk University||USD 7,200 (INR 5,28,292)||USD 11,000 (INR 8,07,114)|
|Hankuk University of Foreign Studies||USD 12,500 (INR 9,17,175)||USD 12,500 (INR 9,17,175)|
|Chung-Ang University||USD 11,300 (INR 8,29,126)||USD 11,300 (INR 8,29,126)|
|Sogang University||USD 7,000 (INR 5,13,618)||USD 7,000 (INR 5,13,618)|
|Kyung Hee University||USD 7,500 (INR 5,50,305)||USD 7,500 (INR 5,50,305)|
|Hanyang University||USD 11,000- 11,300 (INR 807114- 829126)||USD 12,500 (INR 917175)|
|Yonsei University||USD 8,200 (INR 6,01,666)||USD 12,000- 12,500 (INR 880488- 917175)|
|Korea University||USD 11,200- 11,500 (INR 821788- 843801)||USD 11,000 (INR 8,07,114)|
|Seoul National University||USD 6,700 (INR 4,91,605)||USD 4,300- 4,600 (INR 315508- 337520)|
Why Should I study in Universities in Seoul?
The most question among student why should choose universities in Seoul or South Korea over universities in USA, UK, or any other country. If you are looking for a reason, here is a list of reasons you should consider these internationally renowned universities:
- One of the most common worries about studying abroad is if the area or country in question is safe for foreign students. Seoul is one of the safest cities in South Korea for international students seeking higher education, and the crime rate is lower than in other areas of the country.
- When you decide to study abroad, the first thing that comes to mind is whether you will be able to fit in and what the culture is like. You won’t have to worry about this if you select institutions in Korea’s capital city, because Koreans are quite hospitable and kind.
- The biggest misconception is that the courses taught are all in the Korean language. This is not true because there are plenty of courses that are available in the English language as well. So, you don’t have to learn or know the Korean language if you are planning to study in South Korea or Seoul.
- The country is, in fact, a hotbed of the invention. South Korea, Asia’s fourth-largest economy after China, Japan, and India, displays an “indefatigable, can-do attitude,” according to Lonely Planet. As a result, it’s easy to see why it’s become a world leader in innovation.
- South Korea is not just one of the ‘Asian tigers,’ but it is also the world’s 12th largest and 25th freest economy. The Heritage Foundation 2020 Index of Economic Freedom (EFI) assisted South Korea to get economic freedom score of 74: “A vibrant private sector with a well-educated workforce with great potential for innovation profited on openness to global trade and investment.”
- International students are always welcome and desired. As nations across the world begin to understand the great benefit of international interaction, more governments recruit foreign students. South Korea is one of them.
Do you know? Seoul is divided into 25 administrative divisions and each division has a separate government.
Also Read: South Korean Education System
Samsung, KIA, Hyundai are some of the popular South Korean companies.
You will need a D- Visa for studying in the universities in Seoul
Yes, the universities in Seoul are safe for international students.
No, most of the universities in Seoul offer courses in the English language.
One of the benefits of studying in South Korea is that tuition prices are the same for domestic and foreign students, as part of the country’s national strategy to attract more foreign students. Fees at a private institution in South Korea are projected to be $5,800 each semester.
English is taught in more than 40% of all classrooms at Korea University. Korean Studies, International Area Studies, and International Business are among the graduate courses offered in English.
SNU scholarships allow you to study in Korea for free. Following acceptance, a student may apply for the Glo-Harmony Scholarship, which is accessible to students from developing nations.
This was all about the universities in Seoul. If you are planning to pursue one of the courses from the above-mentioned universities or need information about studying abroad, sign up for a free session with our experts and counsellors at Leverage Edu. For the latest updates around study blogs, you can follow us on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and also subscribe to our newsletter