As an international student on a budget, a scholarship becomes a big part of a student’s application journey. Many students opt out even if they get accepted either due to financial issues or not being awarded a scholarship. Australia offers a plethora of scholarships for Indian students. Universities in Australia have numerous scholarship programs to make the life of an international student easier. One such scholarship provided by the Monash University in Melbourne is the Monash International Merit Scholarship for international students both future students or currently studying at Monash University.
|Monash International Merit Scholarship
|International student commencing or currently studying at the Monash University
|Unconditional in one of the full-time, on-campus programs
|No of Awards
|31 per year
|AUD 10,000 or INR 19.7 lakhs per year till 48 credits are completed
|Major Term to retain the scholarship
|Minimum of 70% in each semester
|To be applied to separately after receiving an offer
About Monash University
Before we jump right into the details of the Monash International Merit Scholarship, let’s discuss a little bit about Monash University. Monash University is one of the leading universities in Melbourne and is ranked 6th best in Australia by the QS World University Rankings 2022. Monash University offers various undergraduate, graduate and doctoral courses within the 10 faculties and departments.
|February, April, July, August
|Average Tuition Fee
|INR 19.7 lakhs per year
|Graduate Employability Rate
Also Read: 5 Reasons to Study in Australia
Monash International Merit Scholarship
The Monash International Merit Scholarship is a scholarship program for international students who are either:
- Current students enrolled in a full-time program
- Freshers enrolled in a full-time program
It is a recurring type of scholarship which means that minimum funds are provided each year to compensate for the expenses. For freshers, you must have an unconditional offer for the full-time program before you apply for the scholarship.
As an international student awarded the Monash International Merit Scholarship, you will receive AUD 10,000 or INR 5.31 lakhs per year till you complete your 48 credits in your full-time program. In total, every year, 31 awards under the scholarship are given to international students on merit.
Freshers or commencing international students who have been accepted will be given a chance to apply for a place in Monash Minds which is a leadership program for first-year students.
Must Read: Cost of Studying in Australia
Eligibility Requirements for Monash International Merit Scholarship
If you wish to be awarded the scholarship, firstly you have to check whether you are eligible or not. Here are the official eligibility requirements announced by Monash University for the Monash International Merit Scholarship:
- Have to be an International Student
- Received an Unconditional Offer for one of the full-time undergraduate or postgraduate programs (coursework) by Monash University
- For current students at Monash, they should have completed 2 semesters and the ones in MBBS and MD program should have completed 3 semesters.
You are not eligible for the scholarship if you have been offered an unconditional offer in the MBBS and MD programs. You must first complete 3 semesters to be eligible for it.
Selection Processs for Monash International Merit Scholarship
Monash University chooses the candidates on the following parameters:
- Merit and academic achievements
- Minimum Score of 85 for the current international students at Monash
- Scholarship Application Statement just like your SOP stating why Monash University should select you in just 500 words
Please note that first preference will be given to the freshers who have been accepted on an unconditional offer and not current international students.
Application Process of Monash International Merit Scholarship
The application process for the Monash scholarship is similar to any other scholarship in Australia. Here’s the step-by-step guide to making your application for a scholarship easier
- Once you have been accepted for a full-time program at Monash University with an unconditional offer, you can apply for the scholarship separately.
- Attach your Scholarship Statement of 500 words to the Application.
- Any supporting documentation need not be attached as announced by Monash University.
- Submit your Monash International Merit Scholarship application within the deadline.
- If awarded, you will be notified via mail.
- You will be required to attach your scholarship certificate for the Australian Student Visa application so make sure that you receive that before you start your visa application.
Important Dates and Deadlines
The Monash International Merit Scholarship applications are accepted in various rounds to make a careful decision and an easier selection process for the reviewing committee.
The deadlines given above are subject to change and Monash University will notify you about the same.
Also Read: MBA in Australia for Indian Students
Terms and Conditions for the Monash International Merit Scholarship
Once you are awarded the Monash International Merit Scholarship, you have to adhere to the following to retain it every year:-
- You must score a minimum of 70% each semester
- You have to participate in at least 3 marketing or sponsorship promotional activities
- Attending scholarship functions, marketing and networking events
Worried about your IELTS scores for the upcoming intakes? Then sign up for a demo class with Leverage Live Experts and pave the way to excellence!
Want to study at the Monash University then call Leverage Edu experts at 1800-572-000, book your first counselling session for free and understand what it takes and how easy it is to study abroad.