Apart from choosing a university and course, your study abroad journey relies on various important steps like timely completion of the application process, good scores in competitive exams, acceptance letter from the university, etc. Obtaining a study Visa is one such step. When it comes to studying in Australia, you need to apply for a SUBCLASS 500 visa or what is also referred to as the Australia Student Visa. To give you a comprehensive overview, here is a blog that will shed light on the eligibility, application process, important documents, etc for obtaining this visa!
This Blog Includes:
- Latest News Updates on COVID-19, Visas, and More
- What is the Subclass 500 Visa?
- What is the Validity of Australia Student Visa?
- Requirements for Obtaining an Australia Student Visa
- Australia Student Visa: Essential Documents
- Australia Student Visa Application Process
- Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE)
- Working After Graduation in Australia
- Popular Intakes in Australia
- Cost of Studying and Living in Australia
- Top Universities in Australia (BONUS)
Latest News Updates on COVID-19, Visas, and More
- As part of a temporary government initiative to help employees during lockdowns, international students in Australia will be able to obtain an emergency payout.
- International students studying in Australia may be eligible for short-term financial support in Victoria. On Thursday (June 3), Prime Minister Scott Morrison said that the government will provide up to $500 in compensation to workers who had been negatively impacted by the state’s lengthy lockdown. According to Morrison, persons who work more than 20 hours per week will be eligible for a A$500 payout, while those who work fewer hours would be eligible for a A$325 payout.
- According to local media reports, a new proposal to allow overseas students to return to South Australia has been approved by SA Health and is now being reviewed by the federal government.
- In Australia, all temporary visa holders, including elderly parents on tourist visas and overseas students, are eligible for free COVID-19 vaccinations. This protection is also accessible to refugees, asylum seekers, detainees, and migrants whose visas have been terminated. Pfizer and AstraZeneca vaccines are being given to people in the country after being evaluated by the government’s medication and treatment regulatory organization.
- Australia’s Home Affairs department affirmed that its skilled streams had not changed. In 2021-2022 the Program for Migration will retain a maximum of 160,000 for the 2021-22 Program for Migration. This comprises 79,600 skilled stream seats and 77,300 family stream seats.
- The government stated that “visa holders who have been sponsored by an Australian firm in a PMSOL (Priority Migration Skilled Occupation List ) vocation would be subject to quarantine measures at their own expense.” “Existing skilled lists will remain operational and visas continue processed, but those in PMSOL jobs will have precedence.”
- Last Friday, on July 2, 2021, the National Cabinet decided to a four-phase strategy to reopen the country, which would be contingent on Australians getting vaccinated. According to The Sydney Morning Herald, NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian stated that the new plan to reopen the country has called into question the state’s long-term plans for returning overseas students.
What is the Subclass 500 Visa?
Whether you want to enroll in a long-term degree course or a short-term diploma, it is essential for international students to have an Australia student visa. Out of all the types of Visas, candidates have to apply for Subclass 500 in order to pursue higher education. Listed below are the types of study that are included in the visa:
- Vocational Education and Training
- Higher Education
- Primary and Secondary Schools
- Postgraduate Research
- Independent English Language Intensive Courses for overseas students
- Non-awards Courses
What is the Validity of Australia Student Visa?
Once the applicants obtain the Australia student visa, they will be able to move in and out of the country. This is a temporary visa and the candidates will be allowed to stay in the country for around 5 years. Moreover, the actual duration will depend on the chosen program. Furthermore, the visa holders will be allowed to work for 40 hours every 2 week period once the course starts. The cost to apply for the Subclass 500 visa is AUD 620 (INR 34,978 approximately).
Requirements for Obtaining an Australia Student Visa
If you are looking forward to applying for the Australia student visa, there are certain general requisites that you need to fulfill. Failing these, you may lose your chance of pursuing higher education from the country. Let us have a look at the eligibility criteria for seeking a student visa for Australia:
- The candidates must be 6 years of age or above.
- You must be enrolled in a course of study in a recognized institution. You will be required to state evidence for the same.
- Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) requirement
- You must qualify the English Proficiency tests like IELTS etc.
- Must be able to fund your education (Financial requirements).
- Health and character requirements
- Have adequate health insurance.
- State the adequacy of welfare if you are under 18 years of age (not required for applicants above 18 years of age).
- Must not hold any other type of visa.
- You must be a temporary entrant and intend to return back after completing the program.
- Must meet the health requirements.
- Criminal record check results
Australia Student Visa: Essential Documents
Enlisted are some of the important documents which have to submit by those who wish to secure an Australian student visa:
- A valid passport
- Completed Australian student visa application form (157A)
- Proof for enrollment into a university or college
- Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) statement
- Academic and professional transcripts
- Scorecard of your English language test
- Details of health insurance policy
- Passport size pictures
- Evidence stating the availability of funds for paying the tuition fee, living expenses, etc.
Australia Student Visa Application Process
The application process for the Australia student visa must be started at least 6 weeks before the commencement of the course. Make sure you timely apply for it as the process may take time to be completed. Refer to the below-mentioned steps which will guide you about the application process-
STEP 1: Visit the official website and create your account.
STEP 2: Fill up the application form corresponding to the Subclass 500.
STEP 3: Once you have filled in the details, you will be required to upload necessary documents like a copy of the passport, etc.
STEP 4: You will receive a unique transaction number for your application through which you can check the status of your application.
Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE)
The Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) condition, introduced in November 2011, stipulates that a visa application should be in a position to establish a real intention of residing temporarily for study or to attend a dependent student (i.e. a spouse or kid) or a guardian in Australia. The following elements will be considered by decision-makers in the Department of Home Affairs:
- Circumstances in your nation of origin.
- For you in Australia, potential scenarios.
- Value for the future of your selected course.
- Your history of immigration.
You may be requested to attend an interview at your nearest Australian embassy or consulate to establish if you fit the GTE criteria. Some candidates will just be required to complete a visa application form.
Working After Graduation in Australia
Australia continues to have a high need for international employees, and students who have completed a degree in Australia are eligible for a special work visa. There are numerous additional visa categories available to overseas students, and Australia offers a relatively simple points-based system for obtaining permanent residency. If you plan to stay and work in the United States after graduation, you must apply for and receive a work visa. Here are a handful of the visa types that are available in Australia
|485 Skilled Graduate Temporary Visa||This visa is the most popular option for overseas students after they graduate. You can stay in Australia for 18 months to acquire work experience with a 485 visa if you have recently finished at least two years of education in Australia. The students can work in the country for two to four years to gain international work experience.|
|402 Training and Research Visa||Another alternative for overseas students is the 442 visa, which allows students to enhance their job skills while being sponsored by an employer for up to two years.|
|487 Regional Sponsored Visa||This allows the candidate to work for three years in a specialist regional area and provides a road to permanent immigration.|
|887 Skilled Regional Residence Visa||The 887 visa grants a permanent residency, allowing the candidates to live and work in Australia indefinitely. Candidates must have resided in Australia for at least two years, had a year of work experience, and have a sufficient number of points.|
|885 Skilled Independent Residence Visa||The 885 visa enables you to live and work as a permanent resident without being sponsored.|
|886 Skilled Sponsor Resident Visa||The 886 visa permits an international student to seek permanent residency and work in Australia while being sponsored by an employer.|
Note: Spouses are generally granted the same privileges as the spouse who is already in Australia. As a result, if the spouse in Australia has the right to work, so will the spouse who arrives to join him or her. It should be noted, however, that only work permit holders are eligible to apply for dependent visas.
Popular Intakes in Australia
Candidates who are interested in studying in Australia can choose between the two major intakes provided by Australian universities in February and July. The February intake is the key intake for Australian universities because most programs are offered in this intake and the majority of overseas students apply during this period. Other intakes, such as September and November, allow students to choose and opt for vocational courses.
|Other intakes for VET Courses||September & November|
Cost of Studying and Living in Australia
Being regularly regarded as one of the safest study abroad destinations in the world, it becomes an ideal choice for any international student to choose Australia for their higher education. Furthermore, the students must be well aware of the current cost of living and cost of study in Australia before opting for Australia student visa. Here is a breakdown of the cost of studying in Australia.
|Categories||Average Tuition Fees in AUD$ (for 1st year)||Average Tuition Fees in INR (for 1st year)|
|Undergraduate Bachelor’s Degree||$20,000 to $45,000||Rs 9,70,000 – Rs 21,89,000|
|Postgraduate Master’s Degree||$20,000 to $55,000||Rs 9,72,500 – Rs 26,70,000|
|Vocational Training||$4,000 to $22,000||Rs 2,00,000 – Rs 10,70,000|
|Hostels/Guest House||$90-$150||Rs 4,000 – Rs 7,000|
|Shared Apartments||$95-$220||Rs 4,600 – Rs 11,000|
|Other Living Expenses||$270-$540||Rs 13,000 – Rs 26,000|
Top Universities in Australia (BONUS)
Financial requirements: Proof of adequate money to pay tuition, travel, and living expenses. From February 2018, the amount you must show for living expenses (apart from tuition and travel) is set at AU$20,290 (INR 11,44,051) each year.
In comparison to other nations, obtaining a student visa in Australia is simpler. Students who wish to study in Australia must fulfill specific standards in order to obtain a visa. You can apply for a visa under Subclass 500 once you have enrolled in a full-time study program.
The current charge for the Student Visa (Subclass 500) is AU$575 (INR 32421). As part of your visa application, you must arrange Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for yourself and any accompanying family members, which must be valid for the duration of your stay.
Most student visas enable you to bring family members with you to Australia as dependants. Your spouse, as well as your and your spouse’s dependent children, are considered family members. Before you may bring your spouse or children to Australia, you must demonstrate that you can financially support them.
After completing courses in education and teaching, international students can seek permanent residency. Also, if you intend to study in Australia, make sure you get Overseas Student Health Cover since the Department of Home Affairs has made it obligatory for students to carry Overseas Health Insurance.
Hopefully, this blog on Australia student visa has helped you gain an overview of the application process. A Visa application is a tedious task that also requires expert guidance. Get in touch with the Leverage Edu experts who will provide assistance in completing the visa process without any hassles!