Have you completed your MBBS from abroad? Are you planning to establish your medical practice or enroll for a job in a private or public hospital in India? If that is what you want to do but you have no idea what your next step should be, there is no need to worry. Graduates from foreign universities who wish to come back to India for job opportunities in the medical field have to appear for the MCI (Medical Council of India) screening test or the FMGE (Foreign Medical Graduates Examination).
If you are still confused then look no further because here is all the information that you will need to appear in FMGE (Foreign Medical Graduates Examination).
WHAT EXACTLY IS THE FMGE?
The FMGE (Foreign Medical Graduates Examination) is conducted with the intention of maintaining a certain standard among medical students. The purpose of the test is to enable an Overseas Indian Student or an Indian Citizen to pursue a medical career in India. If you possess a primary medical qualification from a medical institution abroad and are looking for provisional or permanent registration with the State Medical Council or the Medical Council of India, then you will have to appear for this test. The FMGE (Foreign Medical Graduates Examination) is conducted bi-annually- once in June and then in December.
FMGE (FOREIGN MEDICAL GRADUATES EXAMINATION) ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
Before appearing for any examination, you must be clear about whether you are eligible for it. If you are appearing for the Foreign Medical Graduate Examination, there are certain eligibility criteria that you need to fulfill. These are as follows:
- You must either be an Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) or a bonafide citizen of India.
- You must also possess a primary medical degree that is confirmed by the concerned Indian Embassy. It is mandatory that your qualifications are recognized by the country where the institute is situated so that you can enroll as a medical practitioner.
- You will also have to submit documents as proof to support your educational claims; failure to do so will make you ineligible for appearing in the examination.
- If you have completed your primary medical qualifications from the UK, USA, Australia, New Zealand or Canada you will not have to appear for the FMGE (Foreign Medical Graduates Examination) as universities of these countries are recognized by the MCI.
Failure to meet any of the eligibility criteria would mean a cancellation of your application. So, it is important that you tread carefully through the process.
TEST PATTERN AND CLEARANCE DETAILS OF FMGE
Knowing the test pattern for an entrance examination is important for your success in that examination.
- The FMGE (Foreign Medical Graduates Examination) is an online examination that is divided into two parts.
- The total duration of the examination is 150 minutes with a scheduled break between the two divided parts.
- There is a total of 300 Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ) with no negative marking which are based on the curriculum of the MBBS program.
- The application fee of the examination is Rs. 5,500
If you wish to clear the examination, you must secure at least 150 out of 300 in the MCQs, i.e., secure at least 50% in your examination. The pass percentage of FMGE (Foreign Medical Graduates Examination) is extremely low, with only 9.44% of candidates passing the examination in 2016-17.
Related blogs that might interest you:
|MBBS in Belarus|
|MBBS in Ukraine|
|MBBS in Russia|
|MBBS in China|
|MBBS in Australia|
|MBA after MBBS|
|MBBS in Bangladesh|
|MBBS in Nepal|
|Courses after MBBS|
|MBBS in the Caribbean|
|MBBS from Abroad|
|MBBS in Germany|
|MBBS in Georgia|
|MBBS in Canada|
|MBBS in the Philippines|
FAQs about FMGE
- What is the purpose of FMGE?
The FMGE (Foreign Medical Graduates Examination) is conducted by the National Board of Examination in India to test the abilities of an overseas Indian student or an Indian citizen who has pursued medical education abroad and want to work as a medical practitioner in the country. If you possess a medical qualification from an institution abroad and are looking for provisional and permanent registration with the State Medical Council or the Medical Council of India, then you need to qualify for the FMGE test.
- Who can take the FMGE Test?
If you’re appearing for the Foreign Medical Graduates Examination, there are certain eligibility criteria that you need to keep in mind. These prerequisites are as follows:
- Applicants are required to be a citizen of India or an overseas citizen of India (OCI) or a bonafide citizen of India.
- Applicants who have attained medical degrees from foreign universities which are approved by the Medical Council of India (MCI) are not required to appear for the FMGE test.
- Applicants are required to possess a medical degree affiliated by the concerned Indian embassies. It is necessary that your qualifications are recognised by the country where the medical institution is located so that you can pursue your career as a medical practitioner.
- Applicants are required to submit copies of their academic records supporting the eligibility criteria mentioned above.
- What is the paper pattern for FMGE?
The paper pattern is issued by the Medical Council of India with the approval of the Government of India. The following table elucidates the exam pattern of the FMGE as well as the exam topics and weightage of marks:
|Pre and Para Clinical Subjects||Marks|
|Medicine and Allied Subjects||Marks|
|Dermatology and STD||5|
|General Surgery and Allied Subjects||Marks|
|Obstetrics and Gynaecology||30|
- How many attempts are there for FMGE?
The FMGE exam is conducted twice in a year in the months of June and December. A candidate has a minimum of 3 attempts to pass the examination. Applicants are required to qualify the exam with a minimum 50% score. The FMGE exam is comparatively tougher than any other medical qualification exam. The passing percentage of FMGE is really low, which is why the exam is designed in such a way that candidates can clear it in several attempts. It is important to clear the exam in order to take up a clinical internship in India. Without clearing the FMGE, you would not be eligible to take up the internship. And, without a year of internship, you cannot get the licence to practice.
- Is there a new Testing format for FMGE?
Earlier the FMGE used to be a pen and paper-based test. Now, the format has been changed by making it a computer-based examination. This change in the examination process was introduced in June 2014. Instead of reading from a paper booklet and filling out one’s answers in the OMR sheets, the candidates have to read the questions on the computer and click on the correct answer in the given time.
- What is the 15-minute tutorial in FMGE?
When the FMGE test became computer-based, a 15-minute tutorial to guide the candidates in taking the exam was introduced. This tutorial takes the candidate through the various elements of the exam through the navigation system which includes questions, reviews, select, de-select, change, and mark responses. Before starting the actual test, candidates are advised to go through the tutorial. In the end, a non-disclosure agreement has to be acknowledged by the candidate prior to the exam.
- What is the syllabus of the FMGE test?
The FMGE test includes various clinical, social and medical subjects such as:
- Community Medicine
- Forensic Medicine
- Dermatology and STD
- General Surgery
Being a medical practitioner in India is no easy task, especially if you have graduated from a foreign university. Getting the MCI clearance can seem like a huge cloud looming over your head, but you don’t need to take that stress. With the help of mentors and counsellors at Leverage Edu, the process of admission can be made convenient and you will be provided with the right guidance for the entrance examination.