Did you know that Leeds is the city where the million-dollar retail conglomerate ‘Marks and Spencers’ was born? A city of many firsts, Leeds located in the UK has been a frontrunner in terms of nature, industrial advancement and history! As British- student city with over 20,000 international students, it is a fascinating blend of modernity and antiquity with the world’s first steam locomotive and the pioneer of X-ray technology. It is also home to UK’s leading research powerhouses and universities like the Leeds Beckett University and University of Leeds. If you want to become one of the Loiners then here’s a guide on how you can study in Leeds!
This Blog Includes:
- 7 Reasons to Study in Leeds
- Top Universities to Study in Leeds
- Intakes to Study in Leeds
- Popular Courses
- Average Cost of Study in Leeds
- Cost of Living
- How to Apply to UK Universities in Leeds?
- Documents Checklist to Study in Leeds
- Student Visa
7 Reasons to Study in Leeds
Leeds is a city which has one of the highest numbers of students. It is often a top choice for students who wish to study in the UK. Following are some reasons why studying in Leeds is a good option:
- Leeds has four of the best universities in the UK like University of Leeds, Leeds Beckett University, Leeds Art University and Leeds Trinity University.
- There are over 20,000 international students in Leeds and many getaways to make friends, networking opportunities and memorable experiences.
- Shopping centres are very widespread with plenty of clubs, pubs and amazing restaurants to explore and hop!
- Art galleries and museums are aplenty in Leeds. This makes it very culturally rich.
- Transport connectivity in Leeds is great because the city has its own airport called the Leeds Bradford Airport. It is also well-connected with the rest of the UK allowing students to explore its different cities and suburbs.
- Residential communities in Leeds like Hyde Park, Headingley and Woodhouse are great for finding low-cost accommodation and are student-friendly with thousands of students living in the area.
- Another reason to live in Leeds is the low cost of living, it’s much cheaper than London, Manchester, Newcastle and has all the amenities, fun activities and nightlife for students.
Must Read: Top Universities in London for Masters
Top Universities to Study in Leeds
- University of Leeds
- Leeds Beckett University
- University Centre Leeds
- Leeds Art University
- Leeds College of Building
- University Technical College Leeds
- Leeds City College
- BPP University Law School
- Leeds Trinity University
Intakes to Study in Leeds
There are two intakes for the Universities in Leeds- September and January.
Some universities are flexible and push deadlines to accommodate international students. Some popular courses have specific deadlines and may be filled in faster than others. It is advised that students start the application process on time to make it to their dream university!
With all levels of studies available in abundance, certain courses are always able to stand out. While there are nearly all specialisations available.
|Accounting and Finance||Accounting and Finance|
|Art and Design||Business Analytics and Information Management|
|Business and Management||Economics|
|Chemical Engineering||Innovation, Strategy and Entrepreneurship|
|Electrical and Electronic Engineering||International Business|
Average Cost of Study in Leeds
|Courses||Duration||1st Year Tuition Fees|
|BBA||3 Years||INR 20.5L – 23.3L|
|MIM||1 Year||INR 19.7L – 28.8L|
|MBBS||5 Years||INR 17.7L – 34.9L|
|BSc||3 – 4 Years||INR 22L – 25L|
|MA||1 – 2 Years||INR 9.4L – 25L|
|MS||12 Months||INR 11.4L – 29.1L|
|BE/Btech||3 – 4 Years||INR 19.2L – 24.8L|
|MBA||12 Months||INR 30.3L|
|Other Courses||0.3 – 5 Years||INR 6.8L – 48.6L|
Cost of Living
According to statistics by HSBC, the average cost of student living, which includes rent, travel and other expenses adds up to roughly £212 a week. This comes to approximately INR 21,200 a week. This is cheaper than most other cities in the North including Manchester, Newcastle and Sheffield.
- The International Undergraduate Science and Engineering Scholarship at the University of Leeds: Leeds International Study Centre students progressing to the participating Science and Engineering schools and faculties are eligible for a £2,000 scholarship per year for up to a maximum of four years, subject to satisfactory progression.
- The School of Law’s International Undergraduate Scholarship at the University of Leeds: This is awarded to any first-year international student who significantly exceeds the entry requirements – candidates from the Leeds ISC are considered on an individual basis once results are known. The process is automatic and the award is a fee reduction of £2500.
- Faculty of Biological Sciences Dean’s Excellence Scholarship: Leeds ISC students can be considered for this award of £5000 which is automatically awarded to high achieving applicants.
How to Apply to UK Universities in Leeds?
International students applying to UK universities must follow a well-researched guide before starting their application process:
Step-1: Shortlist Courses and Universities
The primary step in the application process is to shortlist courses and universities according to your academic profile and preference. Students can shortlist courses and universities through AI-Course Finder and generate a list of universities where they are most likely to get through and plan their application process in advance.
Step-2: Know Your Deadlines
The next step is to know the exact deadlines of universities and colleges in the UK you are planning to apply to. International students have to take the application process well in advance (one year to 6 months before the actual deadline). This ensures that students can fulfill all the college requirements such as SOP, letters of recommendation, English proficiency tests, funding/scholarship options, and accommodation.
Step-3: Take Entrance Tests
The third step in the application process for UK universities requires students to take tests like IELTS, TOEFL, PTE or GRE/GMAT/LNAT/BMAT/MAT (in some courses). In some universities, students can be given to submit scores for SAT or ACT exams. A new addition to English proficiency tests is the Duolingo Test which allows students to appear for the exam from the comfort of their homes and is accepted across the world.
Step-4: Compile Your Documents
The next step is to compile all the required documents and test scores for the application process. This means students should start writing their SOPs, getting letters of recommendation from teachers and supervisors and arranging their financial statements along with other documents like test scorecards. With the COVID-19 pandemic, students must download their vaccine certificates and specify the administered vaccine for the application.
Step-5: Get Started with Your Application
Once you have all the documents in place, students can start the application process either directly or through UCAS. Students applying to UK universities that accept direct applications can start by applying through the official university website. They have to select the courses, pay the application fees and start the online application process.
Documents Checklist to Study in Leeds
- All official academic transcripts and grade cards
- Passport size photographs
- Passport photocopy
- Updated CV/Resume
- English Language Proficiency Test Scores
- Letter of Recommendations
- Statement of Purpose
Here are the two main types of UK Student Visas you can choose from to study in UK:
|Tier 4 Student Visa||Short-term Student Visa|
|This is for those who are 16 years of age or above and have enrolled in a course exceeding 11 months.||This type of visa is for those students who want to enroll in a short-term course.|
|You will have to collect your Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) or letter of acceptance from the institution where you have applied to study.||The duration of such courses doesn’t exceed 11 months.|
- UK Visa Application fee for Tier-4 Student Visa: £348 [roughly 28,650 INR]
- Application fee for short-term Student Visa: £97 [roughly 7,990 INR] for a 6-month visa & £186 for an 11-month visa [15,300 INR]
Must Read: Study in UK from Philippines
If you are someone who is planning to pursue your higher education in the UK, then it’s time to fasten your seatbelts and pull up your socks! The experts at Leverage Edu are just a call away to provide you with all the guidance and mentorship that will make your dream to study abroad a reality! Call us on 1800572000 and book your FREE meeting with our counsellors today!