Aiming to study in Australia? If you’re not from an English speaking country and your dream to pursue higher education in Australia, then you’re just one step short to be a part of a diverse global student community in the country. Before you can apply to any university in Australia you are required to qualify an English Proficiency Test. One of the most sought-after language tests is IELTS. It is conducted to assess how well you can adapt to an English speaking environment. For any reason, if you have not appeared for the test and want to apply for a university in Australia, there are several alternatives you can opt from. There are many educational institutions that do not demand you to furnish your score of IELTS. Through this blog, we will present to you all the important details to study in Australia without IELTS, major universities you can apply to as well as alternatives available.
This Blog Includes:
How to Study in Australia Without IELTS?
Getting an admission in a country like Australia is not an easy task but it becomes even more difficult if you are unable to appear in IELTS or have not achieved a satisfactory score in the test. But there are alternatives available other than IELTS for those planning to study in Australia. Many universities offer admission to international students who can’t submit scores of any English proficiency test. Here are the top alternatives through which you can fulfil your dream of studying in Australia without IELTS:
- Most universities in Australia have dedicated schools or departments for English Language courses for international students. If you want to study in Australia without appearing for IELTS, you can undertake these courses. You can opt for these English Language Programs and complete the qualification required for your chosen course. Some of the universities offering such programs are Macquarie University, University of Melbourne, and the Swinburne University of Technology.
- You can also explore options like the International Baccalaureate Program. You will not be asked to submit your IELTS score if you have successfully completed this program. It is a diploma program lasting for a total duration of 2 years. It is recognized by different universities in Australia.
- The University of Queensland also allows international students to pursue a course if they can provide proof of work experience with any organization where the primary mode of communication had been English. The minimum work experience required is of 5 years.
- Additionally, some prominent universities, like the University of Southern Queensland, offer distinctive pathway programs. These ensure a student conveniently gets admission into a major study program without worrying about the hassles of English language proficiency scores.
- Many universities also accept scores of other language proficiency tests which include TOEFL, CAE, CPE, PTE and OET.
Popular Universities to Study in Australia without IELTS
Let’s explore different universities that have waived the IELTS requirements for international students and offer the aforementioned alternatives. Below is the collected list of some of the universities you can look forward to applying.
Let’s know more about the criteria you need to fulfil to apply to these universities to study in Australia without IELTS:
Australian National University
ANU offers many options students can avail to meet their English language requirements. Students can submit the certificates of any one of the language proficiency tests including but are not limited to TOEFL, PTE and CAE. You can also submit your English language proficiency certificate which you have obtained from your local institution, Australian National University also offers its own ANU Access Program, which is an in-depth 10-week course, clearly focusing on academic English and improving a person’s ability to use the language fluently.
University of Southern Queensland
Language Pathway Programs are offered by the University of Southern Queensland which makes international students eligible for admission into the program of their interest without having to appear for any language tests and thus is the best alternative to study in Australia without IELTS.
University of South Australia
To be eligible for any study program in this university, the requirements include a score of 50 points in PTE or have a score of 169 in CAE or CPE. You can also apply to the university if you complete the Centre for English Language [CELUSA] English Program: Level 4. Additionally, if you have finished a minimum of 1 year of tertiary education in Australia or any of the countries specified by the university, you’re also eligible to apply for a course without submitting IELTS scores.
University of Adelaide
Even though the university’s acceptable language proficiency tests include IELTS, students can choose from TOEFL, PET and CAE as well. The university can also ask students to join a language preparatory course to improve their English skills. The student is required to sit for a test each semester to assess the improvement made in the language preparatory course.
Amongst the top universities in the country, Bond University requires international students to qualify EAP Level 3 (English for Academic Purposes) before applying for their chosen program without undertaking IELTS.
We hope through this blog we have provided you with the required alternatives and universities you can consider to study in Australia without IELTS. Looking forward to pursuing your higher studies in Australia? Apprehensive about the process? Our Leverage Edu experts are here to guide you throughout the process of selecting the right course and university as well as gearing up for the application and crafting impressive SOP and LORs to get successfully selected! Sign up for a free study abroad consultation with us today!