From the icy peaks to the extravagant Northern lights, the natural landscape of Norway is unparalleled. Over the years, the Scandinavian country has become a hot spot for international students. Norway caters to some of the world’s highest-ranking universities providing high-quality education with a wide range of specializations. The UN consistently ranks Norway as the best country in the world to live in. Usually, to secure admission in abroad universities, IELTS or other English Proficiency Test is a prerequisite. If you are planning to pursue higher studies from Norway, but haven’t appeared for IELTS, there are various alternatives you can choose from. This blog collates the best alternatives to study in Norway without IELTS from universities to other exams you must know!
Also Read : MBA in Norway
Why Study in Norway?
Norway offers diverse educational and career prospects for foreign students. Norway is a highly developed country with a very accommodating community that offers a high standard of living. They lay a strong emphasis on hospitality and will try to make the international students feel at home. It becomes easy for international students to adapt to their transition to a new country. Also, the fact that Norway is ranked as one of the best countries in the world also makes it an ideal study abroad destination. Norwegian university offers a wide range of specializations and a degree that is recognized in other parts of the world. Another important aspect that makes Norway an attractive study destination is that the majority of the courses offered in universities are in English.
Mostly all higher education institutions, except a few private universities, are run by the state in Norway. Education at public universities is funded by the Ministry of Education and Research thus, students can get a high-quality education, free of cost. However, the cost of living in Norway is so expensive that it can be a huge strain on the budget for international students to cover living costs in Norway during their studies. To cover your living costs, you can apply for a number of scholarships offered to international students.
Also Read : Exams for Study Abroad with Scholarship
Alternatives to Study in Norway without IELTS
It is possible to study in Norway without IELTS. Although the native language is Norwegian, the universities in Norway offer a wide range of courses in English. It requires proof of English proficiency. In order to pursue education from Norway without IELTS, the following are the alternatives that can be taken. The key essentials that you need to keep in mind while applying to study in Norway without IELTS are as follows:
- Students can provide the university with proof that their previous educational degree has been taught in English Medium University/College, with English as a core subject in the curriculum.
- You can also be exempted from submitting an IELTS score if you provide proof that you have completed one year at university in an English-speaking country such as Australia, the USA, United Kingdom, etc
- Students are advised to inquire with their shortlisted universities regarding their English Proficiency requirement. While some universities accept students without an IELTS score, some are strict in their IELTS requirements
- Some Universities might take an online interview as an alternative to evaluate the English Language Proficiency of the students
- Many universities also accept scores of other language proficiency tests which includes the Test of English as a foreign language (TOEFL) and advanced placement international English language examination (APIEL)
Also Read : TOEFL Reading Practice
Study in Norway Requirements
It is essential to have all the required documents in one place before you send an application. If the requirements are incomplete, your application might be rejected:
- Official academic transcripts
- Scanned copy of passport
- CV/ Resume
- Letter of Recommendation
- Statement of Purpose
- Two Reference Letters
- Aptitude Test Score (if applicable)
Also Read : MBA in Interior Designing
Best Universities to Study in Norway without IELTS
Many top universities in Norway provide alternatives for IELTS for international students. Norway universities, ranking in the world according to the QS world university ranking are given below:
University of Oslo
At the University of Oslo, the exemption from submitting an IELTS score is only applied to students from South Africa. Other students from Africa and different parts of the world may be asked to provide their TOEFL/IELTS scores. The University of Oslo is on the top priority of students planning to study in Norway without IELTS.
Also Read : Indian MBA Vs Foreign MBA
University of Bergen
You can study at the university of bergen, the top university to study in Norway without IELTS. At the University of Bergen minimum of level B2 (CEFR), which is equivalent to IELTS minimum score: 5.0 or TOEFL minimum score: 60 is required.
Norwegian University of Science And Technology
Norwegian University of Science And Technology university accepts the following tests as alternatives to IELTS, as proof of English Language Proficiency:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition
- University of Cambridge tests, at least one of the following:
- First Certificate in English
- Certificate in Advanced English
- Certificate of Proficiency in English
- Pearsons Academic English test (PTE): The academic version with a minimum score of 62
Also Read : Duolingo Accepted Universities in Ireland
The University of Tromsø- The Arctic University of Norway
Due to the current Covid-19 situation, for admission to the 2021/2022 academic year, UiT Arctic University of Norway will only accept the TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition.For Indian students, looking for admission to this university, without IELTS, the following are the alternatives offered by the university:
- All India Senior School Certificate (Standard 12) issued by CBSE + 1-year university education
- Indian School Certificate (ISC Standard 12) issued by CISCE + 1-year university education
- Higher Secondary Certificate issued by State Secondary School Boards + 1-year university education
- Pre-University Examination Certificate + 1-year university education
- Intermediate Examination Certificate + 1-year university education
Popular Study Destination Offering Courses Without IELTS
- Study in Europe Without IELTS
- Study in Ireland without IELTS
- Study in USA Without IELTS
- Study in Canada Without IELTS
- Study in Canada Without IELTS
- Study in UK Without IELTS
- Study in Germany Without IELTS
- Study in New Zealand without IELTS
- Study in Australia Without IELTS
- Study in Singapore Without IELTS
We hope this blog was insightful in providing you with the required alternatives you can consider to study in Norway without IELTS. Looking forward to pursuing your higher studies in Norway and need assistance with the application process? Our Leverage Edu experts are here to guide you throughout the whole process. Sign up for a free study abroad consultation with us today! For the latest updates around study blogs, you can follow us on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and also subscribe to our newsletter. You can also join our Leverage Edu Community.