Canada is the world’s third-largest destination for international students and immigrants. Its immigration and student-friendly policies to allow direct flights with no quarantine hassle have eased cost pressure on international travellers. With the country gradually reopening for on-campus classes, students are amping up to start their application process to land in the country for upcoming intakes. Keep reading to know all the documents, exams, and COVID- travel requirements to study in Canada post-pandemic in 2023!
This Blog Includes:
- Study in Canada Latest News 2023
- Why Study in Canada?
- Application Process
- Requirements to Study in Canada 2023
- Eligibility Requirements for Bachelor’s Degree
- Eligibility Requirements for Master’s Degree
- Eligibility Requirements for MBA
- Eligibility Requirements for a Doctorate
- COVID Requirements for Travelling to Canada
Study in Canada Latest News 2023
- The Canadian Universities announced the goal of the new Canadian International Development Scholarships 2030 program that targets “educate, train and empower” thousands of students coming from 24 developing countries to Canada.
- The Government of Canada is working hard to make sure that Indian Students who are all set to leave the country for higher studies in Canada get their Visas on time.
- According to a recent examination of Google data, Canada is the country that people are looking to move to the most out of more than 50 other nations. The research, which was released on June 24 by the Australian website Compare the Market, examined relocation-related search phrases entered into search engines worldwide. Out of 50 other countries, some from Africa, Asia, the Caribbean, and South America, Canada came out as the most wanted place to relocate.
Why Study in Canada?
We always hear a lot of young Indian students opting for Canadian universities. In fact, according to TOI, Canada has accepted study permits for more than 67,000 Indian students in just the first 4 months of 2021. Also, 30,000 international students were given permanent residency in Canada out of which 1/3rd are Indians. This tells us a lot about the Indian-Canadian camaraderie.
There are a lot of other student-friendly reasons that tell us why studying in Canada is a reasonable choice to make:-
- Affordable: A decade ago, studying abroad was only for affluent Indian families. But Canada’s tuition fees and living expenses are affordable for most Indians. Tuition fees can be as low as Rs.1.25 lakh per year.
- Quality of life: According to EduCanada, Canada ranks best in terms of quality of life. Student-friendly cities of Toronto, Ontario and Montreal make it easier for international students to adjust to a new country.
- Practical education: Most of the graduate degrees in Canada are offered in a co-op format. This means that Canadian universities emphasize a lot of skill development through internships as well as theoretical education.
- Cultural diversity: 1.37 million of the population in Canada is Indo-Canadian. So as an Indian student, homesickness will seldom occupy you.
The application process for studying in Canada is very simply laid down in the following steps:
- Choose your preferred university and course
- Go to the university website and check their dates of application
- Fill out the online application form
- Attach the required documents like the college transcripts, letter of recommendations, SOP and IELTS/TOEFL to your application
- Wait for your acceptance letter from your DLI
- Apply for your student permit (Visa).
There are just 6 hurdles between you and your dream university in Canada. Apply to Leverage Edu and assign your 6 hurdles to us!
Requirements to Study in Canada 2023
Mentioned below are the requirements to study in Canada 2023 intakes:
Letter of Acceptance by DLI
DLI means your Designated Learning Institute. It refers to the university that accepted your application and is ready to give you admission. A letter of acceptance is a crucial document that you may receive via mail after your online application has been mailed. Acceptance depends upon how much your application matches the candidate’s expectations. A letter of acceptance will be required while you apply for a Canadian student permit. It will take around 1 to 2 months after the applications for you to receive a Letter of Acceptance.
Pro Tip- To increase your chances of acceptance, we suggest that you apply 8 to 9 months before the semester starts.
Letter of Explanation
This letter helps the visa officer to understand you and your goals. It explains:
- Why do you want to study in Canada and
- That you understand your responsibilities as a student
Students have to include that they have applied for a study permit, even if they may not be required to do so for their studies.
Certificat d’acceptation du Québec
Students planning to study in Quebec for longer than 6 months, must produce the Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ) issued by the Gouvernement du Québec. Students can visit the official university website to know the application process and fees.
If your application for a CAQ got approved by the ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration (MIFI), but you’re still waiting to get the CAQ, you can apply for your study permit with the approval letter from the MIFI. You don’t need to wait for the CAQ to apply.
Canadian Study Permit
In India, you are required to apply for a study permit to study in Canada. We suggest that you apply for the student permit at least 4-6 months before your semester starts. The application may take approximately 35 working days to be processed.
To apply for the study permit, you have to pay 150 CAD or Rs. 8770 as application fees. Once your application is analyzed, you will be called for a visa interview.
Once your study permit is successfully given to you, the duration of the permit is your course time plus an additional 3 months.
Proof of English Proficiency
As an Indian student, one of the requirements to study in Canada is your proof of English proficiency. Most Canadian universities accept IELTS as the standard test for non-English speaking nations. While TOEFL is also a popular choice, for a Canadian study permit it is recommended to give the IELTS exam. You will require an IELTS score of 6-6.5 or even higher for acceptance to a Canadian university.
Proof of Funds
Proof of funds is one of the key requirements for the study permit. It is a document that will prove that once on Canadian soil, you will be able to take care of yourself as a student. You can prove your financial soundness via the following evidence-
- Bank statements for the last 4 months
- Proof that you have already paid your tuition and housing fees
- Loan letter if you have taken a student loan from any bank
- In case a financial institution from Canada is providing for your education, a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) is required
- Documents that prove your scholarships/funding
Want to study in Canada on a scholarship? Apply to the Leverage Edu scholarship now and bring your dreams closer to reality!
Immigration Medical Exam
Folks at the Canadian embassy take the Immigration Medical Exam extremely seriously. If you plan to study in Canada for more than 6 months, an IME is compulsory. Your doctor cannot perform a medical exam for you. You have to contact the Canadian panel of physicians who will assign you a doctor. The medical exam can be done before applying to universities as well.
From your medical history to your eyesight, everything is checked before you are given your results. Once your medical results are mailed to you, they are valid for 12 months. So you have to fly to Canada in that period or get a new medical exam done. The IME fees have to be paid by you.
For some nationals, producing a police certificate is a requirement to study in Canada. A police certificate is submitted as proof that you do not have a criminal record and hence are fit to study in the country. A police certificate is a background check that visa officers may need to ascertain your credentials and process your application faster.
Statement of Purpose
If you’ve liked writing long essays in your high school, consider SOPs the king of long essays (500-1000 words). Here you pour your heart out about why you’d like to study at a Canadian university and how mutually beneficial it can be. It also tells the university about your academic writing skills and written English prowess.
SOPs have to be well-curated as it becomes the basis of your application acceptance. A good SOP might get you admission even if your resume is comparatively mediocre.
Must read: Life in Canada for Indians
Guaranteed Investment Certificate
A Guaranteed Investment Certificate of CAN$10,000 is another requirement to study in Canada, especially if you are studying in an SDS college. It is a short-term investment that colleges require students to make to provide proof of financial funds for 12 months or more. Most Canadian banks offer GIC programs to international students at varied interest rates. Here are some documents you may need to provide for a student permit:
- a letter of attestation;
- a GIC certificate;
- an Investment Directions Confirmation or
- an Investment Balance Confirmation
Eligibility Requirements for Bachelor’s Degree
To pursue a bachelor’s degree in Canada, the following are the requirements:-
- High school transcripts and a 70% in 12th grade with maths
- IELTS/TOEFL certificate/Test d’évaluation de français (TEF)
- Online Application form
- Proof of funds
- Statement of purpose
- Updated cover
Eligibility Requirements for Master’s Degree
For a 1-2 year master’s degree in Canada, the following are the requirements:-
- Graduation degree equivalent to a bachelor’s degree in Canada
- GMAT or GRE score
- IELTS or TOEFL score
- Letter of Recommendations
- Statement of Purpose
Eligibility Requirements for MBA
MBA, a highly sought-after course in Canada, asks for the following requirements from international students:-
- Graduation degree equivalent to a bachelor’s degree in Canada
- GMAT or GRE score depending upon the university
- Work Experience of a certain period, is also dependent on the university you apply to
- A minimum score in IELTS/TOEFL or PTE
Eligibility Requirements for a Doctorate
Want to pursue a PhD in your field and be called a doctor? Know the requirements for you to study in Canada here:-
- Postgraduate degree in your relevant field
- A research proposal within your statement of purpose
- Letter of recommendation
- Minimum score in IELTS/TOEFL
- GMAT or GRE depending on your field
- Updated resume
COVID Requirements for Travelling to Canada
Canada eased travel restrictions for all fully vaccinated students and international travellers. Indian students can travel to Canada via third-country and get a test before boarding the Canadian flight. International students must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with a WHO-approved vaccination. Vaccines like Bharat Biotech (Covaxin) and Sputnik V have not been authorized for use by the Canadian government and international travellers are advised to administer Covishied produced by the Serum Institute of India.
- Direct flights between India and Canada are available for international students and job seekers travelling to the country.
- International students must hold a valid CAQ and study permit or study permit approval letter from a DLI list-educational institution.
- International students must produce a negative COVID-test taken within 72 hours before boarding a flight.
- Travellers may also be selected at random to conduct a COVID-19 test upon arrival in Canada.
- Fully vaccinated travellers are exempted from 14-day quarantine but can be asked to if they do not meet the requirements upon arrival.
- International students who have not been fully vaccinated are required to quarantine for 14 days upon their arrival. Partially vaccinated travellers have to take a test upon arrival and on day 8 of quarantine.
- As per the vaccination rules for students, travellers who have tested positive for Covid-19 must present proof of a positive Covid-19 molecular test result taken within 14 to 90 days before arrival in Canada as part of the pre-arrival test requirements.
All students are required to fulfil all the aforementioned requirements to study in Canada! If you are planning to study in Canada for the 2023 intakes then book a free session with our Leverage Edu experts and shortlist your dream universities.