Owing to a shortage of skilled and registered nurses globally, Nursing has become one of the most in-demand healthcare jobs. Due to its excellent salary packages and endless career opportunities, this profession has a growing prevalence. Unlike nursing courses such as BSc in Nursing and GNM, the ANM Nursing course is a widely accepted program that does not require you to have a science background. The ANM course is a 2-year diploma program. After its completion, you can immediately get placed as an ANM nursing professional in a desired firm or organization. Foreign countries like New Zealand, Australia, Canada, the USA, and the UK have a growing need for experienced nurses due to which this profession is gaining a broader scope on the international platform.
This Blog Includes:
- About ANM Nursing
- Why Study ANM Nursing?
- Auxiliary Nursing and Midwifery Curriculum
- Types of ANM Nursing
- Clinical Areas in ANM Nursing
- Top 10 Universities for ANM Course Fees
- Top Colleges for ANM Nursing in India
- State Wise Entrance Exams for ANM Course
- ANM Admission Process
- ANM Course Comparison
- ANM Nursing: Skills Required
- Career Prospects after ANM Course
- Employment Sectors for Auxiliary Nursing & Midwifery
- ANM Nursing Salary Packages
About ANM Nursing
ANM Nursing, Auxiliary Nursing Midwifery is a variant of nursing course that focuses on the in-depth study of healthcare management and medical equipment. After investing 2 years in this program, you will be professionally prepared for entering the medical industry while serving as a multipurpose health worker. This course will assist in increasing your proficiency in general nursing activities such as providing first aids, observing patients for existing or new symptoms, creating and maintaining medical records, setting up ORs, and assisting doctors. The ANM nursing course is structured with a clear-cut curriculum that professionally prepares students with strong communication and interpersonal skills and decision-making ability in critical and emergency medical situations.
Due to such an inclusive syllabus, nursing graduates always have a fair chance of scoring a professional position right after earning their degree. Although the ANM nursing course prolongs for two years, it may differ slightly in a few colleges. The variations in course durations are attributed to the additional internship experience, which may extend up to 6 months, more or less.
Also Read: BSc Nursing Syllabus
Why Study ANM Nursing?
- Nursing is an essential and therapeutic career path for training healthcare professionals who wish to make the world healthier.
- The ANM course is a 2-year diploma program for students fresh out of school and wish to kickstart their careers.
- The average salary after complleting a diploma in nursing is Rs 10,000 and can go up with experience and depending upon the hospitals.
Auxiliary Nursing and Midwifery Curriculum
The ANM Nursing meticulously organizes a curriculum that includes a plethora of nursing subjects that cover all the crucial aspects for generating a professional and successful modern nurse. Institutes in India follow the curriculum layout set by the India Nursing Council (INC), and the subjects are categorized in the fundamentals of the nursing profession and experiential medical skills between the first and second years of learning.
Subjects in the First Year
- Community Health Nursing
- Health Promotion
- Primary Healthcare Nursing (Prevention of diseases and restoration of health)
- Child Health Nursing
Subjects in the Second Year
- Health Centre Management
- Internships (6 months)
Types of ANM Nursing
There are various types of ANM Nursing courses that are listed below:
Full-Time ANM Nursing
Full-time ANM Nursing programme is a full time programme that requires students to attend classes, submit work, and take examinations. In this type students receive a lot more exposure, experience, and understanding by being physically present at the moment. Activities like medical facilities via direct connection with their peers, teachers, and doctors gives a brillant exposure.
In a part-time ANM Nursing, the curriculum is constantly evaluated with a practical approach.
Distance ANM Nursing
The distance ANM Nursing is all about experiences in the medical domain. This type of study takes lot of concentration on-site that handles the complex tasks.
Also Read: Nursing Courses in Canada
Clinical Areas in ANM Nursing
For getting hands-on experience in the field of nursing, students are commonly posted in the following clinical areas during the ANM Nursing course:
- Medical-Surgical nursing
- Community Health Nursing
- Child Health Nursing
- Midwifery and Gynaecological Nursing
- Mental Health Nursing
Top 10 Universities for ANM Course Fees
There are numerous universities all around the world that provides exemplary nursing courses. From eminent faculties to diverse training classes, these universities offer an advanced curriculum that generates successful healthcare workers in the professional field globally. Out of these, the universities which are notably reputed for their ANM Nursing course according to the QS Rank includes:
|QS Rank 2023||University Name||Country||Fees (INR)|
|13||University of Pennsylvania||United States||40,62,000|
|35||King’s College London||United Kingdom||24,55,000|
|25||John Hopkins University||United States||45,55,000|
|85||University of Washington||United States||26,32,411|
|77||University of Southampton||United Kingdom||20,00,000|
|14||Yale University||United States||41,52,070|
|11||University of Technology Sydney||Australia||19,65,400|
|27||University of Manchester||United Kingdom||23,35,000|
|26||University of Toronto||Canada||30,00,000|
|100||University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill||United States||27,68,000|
Top Colleges for ANM Nursing in India
Students from all streams are qualified to pursue the ANM Nursing course in India, though science with biology is preferred over commerce and art students. Few top ANM Nursing Colleges require a minimum of 50% in the 12th standard examination. Here is a list of the top ANM colleges in India:
|Aarogyam Medical College and Hospital||Haridwar|
|Arya Nursing College||Guwahati, Assam|
|Abhilashi College of Nursing (ACN)||Mandi, Himachal Pradesh|
|Aligarh School of Nursing||Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh|
|Amar Professional College of Nursing||Mohali, Punjab|
|Anushree College of Nursing||Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh|
|Apollo College||Durg, Chhattisgarh|
|Aryabhatt College of Nursing||Fatehabad, Haryana|
State Wise Entrance Exams for ANM Course
The ANM Entrance Exams are administered by various states and governing bodies. The entire process of conducting these competitive examinations also includes merit-based admissions in a few states. These are some famous ANM entrance examinations administered in the states of India:
|Exam Name||Conducting Body|
|Andhra Pradesh ANM||Commissionerate of Health Family Welfare|
|Assam ANM||National Rural Health Mission (NRHM), Assam|
|Chhattisgarh ANM||Chhattisgarh Professional Examination Board|
|BSSC ANM||Bihar Staff Selection Commission|
|Haryana ANM||Haryana Nurses and Nurse-Midwives Council Panchkula|
|Gujarat ANM||Medical Professional Education Courses Government of Gujarat, Gandhinagar|
|HP ANM||Directorate of Medical and Education & Research|
|Goa ANM||Goa Medical College|
Eligibility Criteria for ANM Course Qualification
Prospective students are required to maintain specific criteria to enroll for an ANM course at any medical institute in India. By retaining these criteria, these educational institutions have successfully brought forth a class of healthcare professionals who have successfully assisted the industry. The prescribed eligibility criteria are:
- Cleared 10+2 with a minimum of 50% from recognized institutions
- Students from Science, Arts or Commerce stream are eligible to apply
- If you are applying to Indian universities, students have to appear for state entrance exams for ANM
- For students applying to ANM courses abroad have to submit English proficiency test scores
Also Read: GNM Course (General Nursing & Midwifery)
ANM Admission Process
The Application Process for ANM is:
How to Apply?
- Visit the official website of the institution.
- Click on ‘Apply Now’ or ‘Register Here’
- Complete filling your education history with all the qualifications.
- Fill in the details of your employment history.
- Fill in your personal statement.
- Submit the application form by paying the mentioned fees.
A acceptable medical examination report is required for admission to the Auxiliary Nursing & Midwifery [A.N.M] course. The minimum scores required for admission to this course may vary from one institution to another. Many institutions hold entrance exams in addition to interviews to evaluate applicants’ qualifications for admission to the ANM programme.
ANM Course Comparison
Here is a detailed comparison of the ANM course, with other related courses.
ANM vs BSc. Nursing
|Name of the Degree||ANM||BSc Nursing|
|Duration||2 years||3 to 4 years|
|Average Fees||INR 75,000- 1,00,000||INR 5-10 lakhs|
|Average Salary||INR 2-3 lakhs||INR 3-4 lakhs|
ANM vs GNM
|Name of the Degree||ANM||GNM|
|Duration||2 years||3 years|
|Average Fees||INR 75,000- 1,00,000||INR 2-5 lakhs|
|Average Salary||INR 2-3 lakhs||INR 3-4 lakhs|
ANM Nursing: Skills Required
After completing the ANM diploma course, the graduates must meet specific professional criteria to get accepted into the designated position. A nursing aspirant must already have or be prepared to develop these skills for building a successful career in this industry. Here are a few required skills for the position of an ANM Nurse:
- Considering the number of doctors and patients that nurses are required to interact with on a daily basis, it is essential for them to have strong communication skills.
- Working in the medical industry may summon long working houses and unfavourable working conditions due to emergency situations. Hence, it is of utmost importance that nurses can work under pressure.
- Nurses are often the first responders in hospitals, and their actions may signify the life and death of a patient. Consequently, to tackle such complicated situations, this profession requires a quick-thinking mindset.
- All-time alertness and active involvements are other essential skills that nurses must possess for regulating patients’ conditions or symptoms on a daily basis.
- Empathy is a crucial soft skill that every healthcare worker requires, including nurses, as their assistance should be imparted to everyone irrespective of the person’s religion, belief, and such.
Career Prospects after ANM Course
In order to pursue a career in the ANM nursing field, there are multiple career choices for the nursing aspirant. After successfully completing the ANM course, nurses can quickly seek a career in the government and private sectors. A few popular career prospects for ANM Nurses include:
- Nursing Tutor
- Certified Nursing Assistant
- Senior – Nurse Educator
- Home Care Nurse
- ICU Nurse
- Staff Nurse
- Teacher – Nursing School
- Community Health Nurse
- Health Care Nurse
Employment Sectors for Auxiliary Nursing & Midwifery
Some of the common employment areas where ANM Nurses can utilize their capabilities include:
- Rural Health Centres
- Government hospitals
- Old age homes
- Government health schemes
- Community Health Centres
- Government dispensaries
- Nursing Homes
- Private hospitals/clinics
ANM Nursing Salary Packages
In India, the average salary of a fresher ANM nurse ranges from Rs 2,50,000 to 3,50,000 annually. With more experience and time in the field, nurses can earn between Rs 7,50,000 to Rs 8,50,000 annually. Other than the factor of work experience, the pay grade may also differ according to the employee’s association and hospital.
|Job Profile||Salary (INR)|
|Nursing Tutor||3,50,000 – 4,10,000|
|Home Care Nurse||1,41,860|
|Certified Nursing Assistant||2,10,000 – 2,50,000|
|ICU Nurse||2,00,000 – 3,00,000|
|Staff Nurse||3,30,000 – 5,30,000|
This 2-year nursing diploma course offers an excellent scope for aspirants who wants to excel in the medical sector. Another benefit from the ANM Nursing course is that nursing graduates can find ANM jobs in both urban and rural areas through this field. Aspirants who are interested in further studies in a similar field can choose to pursue a Master’s to foray into the education sector. The growing requirement for health professionals has developed the ANM course into a top-rated course in the medical industry.
ANM Recommended Books
- Auxiliary Nurse Midwife ANM Entrance Exam Guide 2023 Edition
- A.N.M. & G.N.M.
- Comprehensive Guide for ANM Auxiliary Nurse & Midwives Competition Exam
- Textbook of Advanced Nursing Practise
- Comprehensive Guide for Nursing Competitive Exam
The duration of ANM course is 2 to 3 years and is a diploma course available for students after 12th exam.
The exams are held during April and May after the end of boards and before the start of a semester in Indian colleges.
The top three institutes offering the ANM course in India, is Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College, King’s George Medical University, Lucknow, and Aligarh Muslim University, UP.
The average fee is ANM courses in India ranges from 10,000 to 1.5 lakhs per year.
Are you planning to pursue ANM Nursing from abroad? Contact our Leverage Edu experts on 1800 57 2000 for end-to-end assistance from application to Visa process.