The National Board of Higher Mathematics (NBHM) offers masters and PhD-level scholarships to students across India planning to pursue a research career in Mathematics. Interested students have to qualify for the scholarship test in order to be awarded with the scholarship after which they appear for an interview as part of the selection process. Scroll through this blog to know more about NBHM Scholarship for PhD and Masters, its eligibility, important dates, how to apply and more!
Check Out: PhD Scholarships in India
Table of contents
What is NBHM Scholarship?
NBHM stands for National Board for Higher Mathematics which was founded in the year 1993 by the Indian government under department of atomic energy (DAE) intending to foster development in higher mathematics and helps in financing and assisting the research and projects of doctoral and post- doctoral scholars. It is funded by the department of atomic energy, which is an autonomous body.
NBHM Scholarship Eligible Courses
NBHM conducts various scholarship exams to find and nurture the best talent and supports students through scholarships, fellowships, etc. NBHM provides a series of programs to train students regarding mathematics. Here are the three types of scholarships offered:
- Undergraduate NBHM Scholarship
- Post graduate NBHM Scholarship
- PhD NBHM scholarship
There is currently no information regarding the undergraduate scholarships. NBHM provides scholarships for undergraduate programs at very specified institutions. Details can be obtained when there will be any openings.
Must Read: Fulbright Scholarships
NBHM Scholarship for Masters
NBHM scholarships for Masters are offered to students pursuing master’s level courses in mathematics and statistics. The notification for these scholarships are generally released in the month of June every year. Notices are personally sent to renowned colleges and universities, department of mathematics across the country. The amount of this NBHM scholarship is ₹6,000/ month.
Following qualifications are the eligibility requirements for NBHM scholarship for masters:
- Students who have completed or are going to complete their B.A./B.Sc degree in mathematics with 60% marks or more.
- Students who have completed or are going to complete their B.A.(Hons.) / B.Sc(Hons.) degree in mathematics with 50% marks or more.
- Students who have completed or will complete their three or four years course in Integrated masters equivalent to recognized five years course in mathematics with 50% marks or more.
- Students who have completed or are going to complete their one year M.A./M.Sc equivalent to any recognized two year masters in mathematics with 60% marks or more.
The syllabus is mostly algebra and analysis, however the question papers contain three sections, algebra, analysis and miscellaneous. The algebra section comprises questions of Linear and abstract algebra. The analysis section has real and complex analysis and the miscellaneous part of the paper contains geometry, permutations and combinations, metric spaces and related topics.
How to Apply?
- Click here to start with the application process
- You will be first asked to register and sign up.
- Read the provided instructions and click to proceed.
- Fill all the relevant and required details and then click submit.
- Submit the requisite fee of INR 300 online and provide all the necessary documents.
Important Dates [Tentative]
|Starting date for online application||1st August|
|Last date for online submission||1st October|
|Download the admission ticket from||1st September|
Candidates will be selected strictly on the basis of written examination marks and the interview.
The written test will be for the duration of 1½ hours with MCQs and topics covered are Algebra, analysis and mathematics.
The written test for NBHM Scholarship for masters is conducted in 5 zones:
- North Zone- Srinagar, Chandigarh and New Delhi
- Central Zone- Jabalpur, Indore, Raipur and Prayagraj
- West Zone- Goa, Mumbai, Pune and Vallabh Vidyanagar
- East Zone- Shillong, Ranchi, Guwahati, Kolkata and Bhubaneswar
- South Zone- Chennai, Cochin, Hyderabad, Bengaluru.
The candidates will be selected for the next round i.e. the interview according to their written test marks and the centre for the interview would be any one of them from each zone.
NBHM Scholarship for PhD
Students with a master’s degree in mathematics, statistics or physics aiming to work in research in any branch of mathematics leading to a PhD degree are eligible to apply for the NBHM scholarship for PhD. Here is the scholarship amount for this PhD scholarship:
- INR 25,000 per month for the first two years
- INR 28,000 per month for the rest of three years (but only after a review of the work done in the first two years)
- Contingency grant: INR 32,000 per year (This grant can be used for purchase of study materials, library work, etc. and the unutilized amount remaining could be used for the next year.)
Here are the eligibility requirements for NBHM Scholarship for PhD:
- Students who have passed B.Sc. (honours) with a second class may also apply provided they have a master’s degree in the final year.
- Students holding the four year B.S.(or equivalent) degree, or those in the final year are eligible to apply for NBHM scholarship provided they are able to get admission under the PhD programme in any recognized University by August.
- Students who have applied or wish to apply for the PhD/ integrated PhD programme of HRI, IISER, Pune, IMSc or NISER may apply for the written test.
- Apart from students mentioned earlier, students holding a degree in B.Sc./ B.Stat/ B.S./ B.E./ B.Tech. or in the final year of these courses with a consistent good academic record from Class 12th level may apply.
Note: There’s no age limit for this scholarship.
Related Read: PhD Scholarships in UK
How to Apply?
- Step 1: Register yourself on the official NBHM website with a valid email address.
- Step 2: Login to the portal with the credentials created in Step 1. Fill out the asked details along with selecting the zone. Next you’ll be led through the payment gateway.The fees are INR 500 and INR 650 for late submission. Once the fee is paid, you’ll be allotted with an application number.
- Step 3: Download the payment receipt/pre admission ticket. The same will also be sent to your registered email address.
- Step 4: The online process is completed although you’ll have to print a hard copy of the receipt and fill the details along with two coloured passport size photographs and enter your roll no. and sign.
- Your roll no. will be there in the centre-wise list of candidates published. Make sure to take two original copies of your tickets to the centre. The examination centres are the same as the zones provided above.
Here is the exam pattern of NBHM Scholarship for PhD:
|Duration of the examination||150 minutes/ 1½ hours|
|Type of questions||Multiple choice questions (MCQs)|
|Mode of the exam||Offline (pen paper based)|
|Section||Two (Algebra and Analysis)
No negative marking
The syllabus for NBHM scholarship for PhD is broadly divided into two sections namely algebra and analysis.
- Abstract algebra
- Abstract Algebra
- Set theory
- Binary Operation
- Matrix theory
- Groups Algebra
- Rings and Field
- Polynomials ( Calculus, Matrix Polynomial and Roots).
- Plain Algebra (lines, circles, ellipses, curves, spheres, etc.)
- Geometry algebra (polar and cartesian coordinates)
- Complex Analysis: Polar Coordinates, Poles and Residues
- Real Analysis: Sequence and Limits, Metric Spaces, Series (Infinite Series and Taylor Series Expansion)
- Functional Analysis: Continuous Function, Maxima and Minima, Differential Function, Defining Function
Thus, we hope that this blog has familiarized you with all the essentials of NBHM Scholarship. Looking for best scholarships to study abroad? Reach out to our Leverage Edu mentors and we will help you find the best scholarship as per your interests and preferences!