Being awarded a scholarship is one of the best moments in any student’s life. It’s because scholarships not only help them study at their dream universities but also save them from extreme financial problems. Unlike in India where the scholarship acceptance rate is high, less than 1% of American students are eligible for scholarships. As you’ll be riding against the tide, you need to be very cautious while applying for scholarships. In this blog, we will discuss the importance of a scholarship, the top universities that offer scholarships for undergraduates in the USA, and the process to apply.
This Blog Includes:
Importance of Scholarships
The advantages of scholarships for undergraduates in the USA are extensive and they are undoubtedly worth the time as well as effort:
- Scholarships Can Make Education More Accessible: Education in the USA is super expensive. Depending on the university, you need to pay more than $25,000 or INR 20 Lakhs. If you have a great educational background but a less-income background, higher education might seem far-fetched. But when you get a scholarship, your dreams will become reality.
- You Can Receive Extensive Support: Apart from saving you from the financial burden of student loans, you will also receive support from the university after you win the scholarships for undergraduates in the USA. This way you can leverage the best benefits of the scholarships.
- Scholarships Can Improve Your Network: This is probably a lesser-known advantage of scholarships. When you win one, you will be viewed as a gifted student. As a result, you will be able to build networks and connections with students who have also won scholarships.
Must Read: Study in USA Guide for Indian Students 2023
Types of Scholarships in the USA for International Students
While applying for scholarships for undergraduates in the USA, you need to ensure that you’re applying for the right one. Otherwise, your chances of being accepted might go in vain. Make sure you pay close attention to these points:
- Merit scholarships: This scholarship will be provided to the students based on their academic performance and excellence. Most of the time, students who have acquired great results are eligible for this scholarship.
- Need-based scholarships: This scholarship is awarded to students who don’t have a proper financial condition to study at the university.
- School-specific scholarships: Depending on the university, the faculty will provide you with scholarships.
- Country-based scholarships: Some specific countries or universities provide scholarships to students from specific countries.
- Government-funded scholarships: This scholarship will be awarded by the government of the United States of America.
- Private-funded scholarships: This scholarship will be offered by some private funds in the United States.
List of UG Scholarships in the USA
Even though submitting an application and applying for a scholarship in American universities might seem a daunting task, you will have various options to ensure you’re the perfect candidate for the scholarships for undergraduates in the USA.
|Name of the University||Name of the Scholarship||Amount Covered|
|Clark University||Clark Global Scholarship Program||$15,000-$25,000 (INR 12 Lakhs-INR 20 Lakhs)|
|Harvard University||The HAAA Scholarship||Depending on requirement|
|Yale University||Yale University Scholarships USA||$50,000 (INR 50 Lakhs)|
|Boise State University||Treasure Scholarships at Boise State University||$8,460 (INR 6.9 Lakhs)|
|University of Memphis||University of Memphis Scholarships||$4000 (INR 3.2 Lakhs)|
|Boston University||Boston University Presidential Scholarship||$25,000 (INR 20 Lakhs)|
|Berea College||Berea College Scholarships||$25,000 (INR 20 Lakhs)|
|Cornell University||Cornell University Financial Aid||$40,000 (INR 32 Lakhs)|
|Stanford University||Onsi Sawiris Scholarship||Fully funded|
|Illinois Wesleyan University||Illinois Wesleyan University Scholarships||$16,000-$30,000 (INR 13 Lakhs-INR 24 Lakhs)|
How to Apply for a Scholarship?
The application process for scholarships at American universities might prove daunting, especially if you don’t have guidance from Leverage Edu. But here are some steps you can take into consideration while applying for a scholarship:
- Search for the relevant scholarship: Make sure you search and choose the perfect scholarships for undergraduates in the USA. Determine whether you need to apply for merit-based or need-based scholarships.
- Understand the process: Your next step is to find all the relevant application requirements and understand them. This process can overwhelm you. It’s best to contact Leverage Edu to seek guidance from professionals.
- Develop a Calendar: Timing is one of the most essential factors while applying for a scholarship. Make sure you start the application process ASAP so that you don’t get lost in the crowd. Starting the application process earlier will help you stay ahead of the competition.
While applying for scholarships, you need to understand that there are no specific rules in terms of eligibility. Even though some universities might ask you to only submit the application form, other universities can ask for LORs, copies of Diplomas, transcripts, CVs, and Financial aid information. If you come across a scholarship that you think is perfect for your respective educational field, consider contacting that university. Depending on some specific requirements, you might or might not be eligible for the scholarship.
Here’s a list of documents you might need to submit while applying for a scholarship:
- Copy of your academic scores
- Copy of your test scores such as GRE, SAT, ACT, and GMAT
- Passport and Photos
- Statement of Purpose
- IELTS or TOEFL exam score
- Letter of Recommendation
Cost of Studying in the USA
The universities in the United States are differentiated into two parts: Private and Public. Unlike public universities, the cost of education is more at private universities. Depending on the degree as well as the course, your tuition fees will vary. Moreover, the tuition fees will also depend on the university.
|Program||Average Tuition Fees|
|English language study||$700-$2000 per month (INR 57K-1.8 Lakhs)|
|Community colleges||$6,000-$20,000 per year (INR 4.9 Lakhs-INR 16 Lakhs)|
|UG Bachelor’s degree||$20,000-$40,000 per year (INR 16 Lakhs-INR 32 Lakhs)|
|Graduation programs||$20,000-$45,000 per year (INR 16 Lakhs-INR 36 Lakhs)|
|Doctoral courses||$28,000-$55,000 per year (INR 22 Lakhs-INR 44 Lakhs)|
Some specific courses might prove little cost-effective whereas, some other courses are super expensive. In such cases, scholarships will prove handy.
Living Costs in the USA
The living cost will depend on numerous factors such as the city, lifestyle maintenance, and spending habits.
|Shared Rental||$470-$3,600 per month (INR 3.8K-INR 2.9 Lakhs)|
|Guesthouses and Hostels||$45-$150 per night (INR 3.6K-INR 12K)|
|Homestay||$600-$3,000 per month (INR 49K-INR 2.4 Lakhs)|
|On Campus||$800-$900 per month (INR 65K-INR 73K)|
|Rental||$450 per month (INR 36K)|
|Food||$42-$65 per day (INR 3.4K-INR 5.3K)|
|Electricity||$100-$120 on average (INR 8K-INR 9.8K)|
|Transport||$45 on average (INR 3.6K)|
Yes, the process is hard. Less than 19% of international students are accepted to receive scholarships.
Usually, you don’t need to repay the scholarship amount. They work like financial aid or gift.
Make sure you start as soon as possible so that you can stand apart from the crowd.
If you want to get into a high-ranked university, you’ll need more than just good grades; you’ll also need flawless application because the competition is fierce. You may enlist the assistance of Leverage Edu specialists to assist you with the application process so that you can realise your goals. Call us immediately at 1800 57 2000 for a free 30-minute counselling session.
I would really love to study in canada this march
I would really love to study in canada this march