National Publicist day is celebrated every year on 30 October to acknowledge and honour the contributions of publicists and public relations professionals to ensure that proper communication reaches the world. Jordanna Stephen, a PR firm in New York founded the Day in 2015. National Publicist Day is observed by showing some love to the Publicists and appreciating them for their efforts, hosting parties for them at the workplace, and posting a social media shout-out.
This Blog Includes:
Who is a Publicist?
A publicist is an organisation or an individual body that generates and manages the publicity or media coverage in TV, magazines, newspapers, or social media for a company, brand, public figure, celebrity, or any public good. Publicists are public relations professionals who are responsible for representing and protecting the public image of a figure or an organisation. Many top-levelled publicists work in the private sector and handle multiple clients.
What Does a Publicist do?
The following are the job responsibilities of a publicist:
- As a beginner in public relations, you will be required to communicate a company’s or brand’s message to the public whom they wish to impact or influence.
- Publicists also help in developing the messages to be delivered by the brand or firm they are representing and plan out the strategy for delivering that message
- They create content like speeches, social media posts, press releases, media alerts and etc for the body whom they are representing.
- Publicists also pitch clients to journalists, and influencers, arranging interviews, press releases, etc.
- Publicists also keep themselves busy by media tracking for maintaining a public image of a brand or organization
- To continue with message consistency, publicists play a huge role in organizing PR events.
How to Become a Publicist?
Everyone has a different career path and their journeys may vary. The basic approach to becoming a publicist is-
- One can begin by pursuing a bachelor’s degree in journalism or communications. You can also opt for a degree in English, marketing, or advertising.
- After completing a bachelor’s degree, one can either opt to pursue a master’s degree or can choose to gain work experience
- To be a professional in the field you will require practical knowledge more than theoretical knowledge by doing many internships and projects.
Skills Required to Become a Publicist
The following are the skills required to be a publicist:
- Compelling Writing
- Media Relations
- Social Media Creation
- Communications Skills
- Logical Thinking
- Public Speaking
- Research Organization
- Time Management
- Project Management
- Creative Thinking
- Brand Management
- Strategic Planning
- Problem-Solving Skills
- Event Planning
Public Relation is a fast-paced industry with growing demands for talented graduates. Learn new in-demand skills specific to the field by gaining experience through various opportunities offered in the field. The following are some of the professions one can choose for in the PR industry:
|Job Profiles||Avg Salary in US||Avg Salary in UK||In INR|
|Advertising Copywriter||$51,158||32,000 – 40,000 GBP||42.09 Lakh|
|Event Manager||$56,856||30,000 – 35,000 GBP||46.78 Lakh|
|Marketing Executive||$57,095||26,418 – 35,585 GBP||46.98 Lakh|
|Media Research||$52,485||25,707 GBP||43.18 Lakh|
|Public Relations Officer||$66,769||18,000 to 24,000 GBP||54.94 Lakh|
Top Courses to Become a Publicist
The following are the courses in public relations at top universities:
|Georgetown University||Masters in Public Relations and Corporate Communication|
|Washington and Lee University||Bachelors in Strategic Communication|
|Northwestern University||Bachelors in Communication Studies and Journalism, Masters in Communication|
|University of Texas at Austin||Bachelors in Public Relations|
|University of Southern California||Masters in Public Relations and Advertising|
|University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign||Bachelors in Advertising and Public Relations|
|Elon University||Bachelors in Strategic Communication|
|University of Florida||Bachelors in Public Relations|
|Boston University||Bachelors in Public Relations, Masters in Public Relations|
|University of Louisiana at Lafayette||Bachelors in Mass Communication|
Want to study abroad but are worried about expenses? Let Leverage Finance help you!
A publicist is an organisation or an individual body that generates and manages the publicity or media coverage in TV, magazines, newspapers, or social media for a company, brand, public figure, celebrity, or any public good.
National Publicist day is celebrated every year on 30 October to acknowledge and honour the contributions of publicists and public relations professionals to ensure that proper communication reaches the world.
The skills required to become a Publicist include Compelling Writing, Media Relations, Social Media Creation, Analytics, SEO, Programming, and Communications Skills.
Well, we hope that this blog has provided you with relevant knowledge related to National Publicist Day. And if you are planning to pursue this course or any other course in any country, contact our study experts call us at 1800-572-000, and book your free counselling session today. You can also connect with us at the Leverage Edu website.